Astroberry problems

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Astroberry problems

Post by Star Dad »

I finally broke down (because my windblows laptop is having serious issues booting) and got a Canakit Pi. It came yesterday, and I frantically tried to get it working for last night... but alas I 'm having problems. I'm not sure it's booting up correctly. I put astroberry on it. When it boots up I get the pi "window" - the colorful four squares... then it starts to load a bunch of stuff and displays the Pi "logo". I never get a shell, and it won't respond to mouse or keyboard input. I can connect to it's hot spot, open a shell through it, see the software etc. However it will not connect to my wifi network (I'm like 5 feet from the wifi and signal strength is excellent. It always reverts to the hot spot. It sees my wifi network and (maybe) "connects" to it and then drops the connection... but I haven't been able to find or connect to it via the wifi network. I see no ip address for it... even on the wifi router.

My question is - is the pi really completing the boot sequence? I should think that I'd be able use a GUI or even a shell upon finishing the boot sequence. I (obviously) have no experience with pi or astroberry OS, though I'm a very long time Linux geek, so any technical info would help and be very much appreciated - there seems to be little I can find online info to help me out.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Astroberry problems

Post by SkyHiker »

It has been a while but I recall that one of the first things I did is take it off its access point and onto my router. You see the desktop, right? I'm presuming you are connected through VNC. The first thing I would do is connect an ethernet cable and create a connection to your local network. Otherwise you will lose your VNC connection when you mess with the wifi. With ethernet it's easy to get back on. Then, see if you can figure out how to change the wifi connection under the upper right icons. To be honest I can't recollect what I did so it's probably straightforward. HTH, good luck.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Also, when I start it the first time I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor connected. I recall vaguely that there was a sequence of menus that I had to click through. It's odd that there is no command window. Try Alt plus one of the function keys, though this should not be necessary. Once you nave a command window try startx. I think the VNC server is set up properly otherwise go to the .vnc folder and edit the VNC configuration file. Again, this is something that I had to do for many older Linux installations but nkt for Astroberry.

Now that I have it all set up it's a bit hard to recall how I got there. In the worst case I can try to find an empty sandisk and start from scratch but I would like to hear where you are at first.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Here's a link where the narrator shows how to put the astroberry on your router. He uses chrome to connect instead of vnc.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Having beat my head against the wall (figuratively), I've decided to try a reinstall. All the videos and docs seem to indicate this should be easy peasy, So I'm thinking it's a bad install. Since I get no local logon/mouse/keyboard I think the startup-sequence must be corrupted. So I'm going to reinstall from scratch. Let you all know how that goes....

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I did the re-install and now it's even worse. I get the "Welcome to Raspberry pi" screen and on the bottom right I see "ssh.service". The ssh is running and I can login using it, but I no longer can get to the desktop via a browser. It let me login - but I get a black screen. So I suspect something is corrupted. I used balena etcher to install the OS - the checksum on the dowloaded zip file is correct. Also, and again - no local way to login - ie mouse and keyboard get no response. Could this be a hardware failure?

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

So many weird things going on. The Canakit pi comes with a small manual and it says to connect the HDMI to #0 (next to the power receptacle). If I do that my TV then complains that it does not recognize the signal. The instructions say if I put the HDMI cable in #1 then I won't see the boot up. Funny, though because when I put it in #1 it sees the colored blocks and the welcome screen and apparently stops(?) booting around the "ssh.service" notice. ssh does work. No keyboard or mouse works. OK, then back to wifi. The hotspot works, but I cannot get the Pi to connect to my wifi network. I've tried gobs of settings. I did see on a couple of posts that I should get a wifi dongle. So maybe that's worth trying. I really can't string an ethernet cable out the door. So I guess I'll get me a dongle. Meanwhile I'm going hook up the ethernet and at least start getting used to the Pi/interface. You, know, download the platesolve files for doing it off line, etc.

So that's where I am at this point. :cry:

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

At this point, to test if there is a hardware problem, I would just try to install plain Linux like the Raspberry Pi one (Raspbian IIRC). Once that works you can be pretty sure that there is no hardware problem and continue with the raspberry install. I have done it 3 times on a Pi4b and two Pi2bs with a WiFi dongle, all Canakit, and had no problems whatsoever. Of course, the Pi2bs are too slow to transfer images, but they work OK with a DSLR.

Alternatively, there's also StellarMate on indilib.org that I think should get you KStars and Ekos just not any other gadgets that you may want.

If I find some time tonight, I can try installing Raspberry from scratch on a Pi2b.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I just downloaded the latest astroberry and reflashed my Pi4b's SD card. The installation went smooth, better than before - no need to hook up a keyboard/mouse/display, everything can be done straight from the Windows laptop. I had VNC installed on Windows, which I used to connect after setting up the server. Here are the steps, summarized:

Flash using Balena Etcher
Follow the quick start directions at https://www.astroberry.io/docs/index.ph ... uick_Start
Connect to astroberry access point
Enter access key "astroberry"
Open https://astroberry.local in browser
Click Start in the splash screen
Click Connect
Login pwd = "astroberry"
"Review your system configuration" pop-up:
Not much to do, straighforward
Can be done later from Menu/Preferences/Raspberry Pi configuration
Preferences->Advanced network configuration
WiFi->Wireless connection
Edit, fill out the WiFi info and IP address (I chose manual)
Astroberry hotspot
IPv4->WiFi->Disabled
I set the IP address to the same but presume it is not used
Wired->Wired connection
Edit, fill out the ethernet info and IP address (I chose manual)
Reboot
astroberry access point is gone
Connect ethernet cable, use VNC (wired IP address)
Ethernet IP address as set, works
Disconnect ethernet cable, use VNC (WiFi IP address)
WiFi IP address as set, works

Hope this helps!
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Yes, I did much the same. Funny that wifi to the LAN doesn't work - it does connect but then drops it in favor of the hotspot. Many thanks for your input!

I updated the Pi today with all the latest. I can't download the platesolve indexes unless the Pi is connected to the mount, etc (apparently) and wifey would freak if I brought the gear inside - so I've ordered a second wifi USB (with antenna) via amazon. I went to my local Staples, but they only had one USB wifi ( a mini dongle) and I feel I might as well get one with a stronger signal... so I'm on hold until the wifi adapter arrives. (I did get me a powered USB 3 hub, though). Searching the internet I see several others said that this (wifi adapter) solved their problems. I'm sure the boot process is completing because everything ethernet AND hotspot works fine. (ie VNC, ssh, EKOS, yada yada) I'd like to be able to connect to the 'net when plate solving if I need to because once is a while my local solver doesn't. Oh, I don't think I mentioned - mine is a Pi4B. I can live without a direct mouse/keyboard - I use an OLD laptop running Mate to connect to the Pi over my LAN. Works fine.

Have you ever tried hooking up the HDMI output?

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm Yes, I did much the same. Funny that wifi to the LAN doesn't work - it does connect but then drops it in favor of the hotspot. Many thanks for your input!
No problem. I wanted the update where polar alignment plate solving is done without the NCP being in the FOV and also live stacking, this one should have it. I never updated astroberry before.
Star Dad wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm I updated the Pi today with all the latest. I can't download the platesolve indexes unless the Pi is connected to the mount, etc (apparently) and wifey would freak if I brought the gear inside - so I've ordered a second wifi USB (with antenna) via amazon.
For that I would just connect the Pi to a laptop directly (USB-A to USB-C for power and connection) and hook up an ethernet cable - much faster than WiFi!
Star Dad wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm I went to my local Staples, but they only had one USB wifi ( a mini dongle) and I feel I might as well get one with a stronger signal... so I'm on hold until the wifi adapter arrives.
For me, the internal WiFi works fine. My mount is generally less than 10 m from my router. BTW the speed increased quite a bit after I replaced my old router with a new combined Harris modem/router. What's the distance in your case?
Star Dad wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm (I did get me a powered USB 3 hub, though). Searching the internet I see several others said that this (wifi adapter) solved their problems.
I made a "Medusa" rig from plywood that has the Pi4b, a 7-port powered USB2 and a 12 to 5 V DCDC. I had to figure out how to wire everything up so that all my devices can run off a 12V battery - and the powered hub helps with that. The camera is a major power drain with its cooler.
Star Dad wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm I'm sure the boot process is completing because everything ethernet AND hotspot works fine. (ie VNC, ssh, EKOS, yada yada) I'd like to be able to connect to the 'net when plate solving if I need to because once is a while my local solver doesn't.
That should be no problem when your WiFi is working. I can connect to the internet just fine and have used the web astrometry occasionally. It's much slower of course. I had some trouble using ASTAP but after playing around with index files, exposure times and binning I found settings that work.
Star Dad wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm Have you ever tried hooking up the HDMI output?
Yes, it works fine. This is with my earlier installs when I went the old-fashioned way - not reading the installation manual - hooking up my TV for a monitor, with a mouse and keyboard. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with last night's setup, maybe I should read manuals more often.

Anyway, good to hear that your installation is working now. Keep us posted and let us know how you like it.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

My internet is currently at a crawl downloading files. In reading the docs on the astroberry wiki it gives instructions on downloading the astrometry files directly (without being hooked up to equipment). I'm now on hour 26 of the download process and apparently I have another 10 hours of downloading to go. For future readers - check out http://astrometry.net/doc/readme.html - you probably won't need all the files. I'm in too deep to stop now, but I wish I'd found that page before starting the download process. I'm on a DSL line - so it is not the fastest. Supposedly we are going to get fiber optic - but who knows if or when it will happen.

In answer to your question I'm also about 10m from the wifi box when imaging. The wifi dongle is due to arrive today... and naturally the clouds roll in this evening. But I'm too tired anyway - I'm currently in the process of trying to capture the entire Tulip Nebula. Last night, I believe was successful. I'm doing wide field imaging... ie a .5 focal reducer in my f4.9 Newt. Amazing colors!

I think the only thing left after this HUGE download (some 40Gs worth) is getting the Polemaster software. So next clear night, with luck, I'll have it all working. Last night it took my windows laptop longer to get booted up than to do the polar alignment. Very frustrating - and then the laptop went dead sometime around 2AM and I had to restart it. I'll be glad to get off being Windows dependent.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:53 pm My internet is currently at a crawl downloading files. In reading the docs on the astroberry wiki it gives instructions on downloading the astrometry files directly (without being hooked up to equipment). I'm now on hour 26 of the download process and apparently I have another 10 hours of downloading to go. For future readers - check out http://astrometry.net/doc/readme.html - you probably won't need all the files. I'm in too deep to stop now, but I wish I'd found that page before starting the download process. I'm on a DSL line - so it is not the fastest.
26 hours, that is ridiculous. It took me probably about an hour to download the index files. I can't recall how I got them but I would not do that through the Pi on Wifi 10 meters away. Ethernet is many times faster. You can probably download them to your laptop then copy them over to the Pi on ethernet by mounting it on your laptop. I now keep a copy on the laptop for easy re-installation.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I'm on a DSL line - and I did not do it over WIFI - used the ethernet. There are some 46Gigs downloaded! If I ever have to do it again, I'll hook up the Pi to my equipment and get the info needed and do the download via Kstars - which apparently will only download the files you need for your equipment. I know there are files downloaded that I'll never use - ie very narrow field of view. My rig can go from 1.5 to .35 degree FOV, so I really don't need anything outside these FOVs. I had initially taken a look at what I *thought* were the files and figured that 8 Gigs would be the max I need, so I said sure download them all. <chuckle> That was a mistake! :shock:

Well that's all done. I still have to get the Polemaster software, but there is no hurry - the weather for the next week out is typically cloudy. But right now it's just getting everything up and running. I'm also going to make myself a "platform" to mount all the transformers, USB hubs, and power strip and shorten all the AC cables to eliminate as much weight as possible and mount the platform to my scope, so only the AC power cord is running loose.

It's going to be a very busy week for me so I won't get a chance to work on it... I've a major outreach program followed by a US Civil War reenactment (first in three years) and I have to go through the museum to make sure everything is in order. And the tent, and the fly, and the music, and....

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I finally got a chance to hook up all the gear. I made a board that screws into the tube rings to hold the board, power strip, power supplies, cables, hub and Pi. I think I got the right software now for Polemaster control, but I can't test it until I get the equipment hooked up. So, first thing is the Mount. I have an Orion EQ-G Atlas - a very popular mount. But in EKOS/INDI I find no support for it. Has anyone tried using INDI with the Atlas and if so what mount did you use? Or is EQMOD-INDI the way to go? I am so totally baffled by the lack of support for this (apparently) very popular mount.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:54 pm I finally got a chance to hook up all the gear. I made a board that screws into the tube rings to hold the board, power strip, power supplies, cables, hub and Pi. I think I got the right software now for Polemaster control, but I can't test it until I get the equipment hooked up. So, first thing is the Mount. I have an Orion EQ-G Atlas - a very popular mount. But in EKOS/INDI I find no support for it. Has anyone tried using INDI with the Atlas and if so what mount did you use? Or is EQMOD-INDI the way to go? I am so totally baffled by the lack of support for this (apparently) very popular mount.
For these problems you are better off asking the INDI board. Anyway, searching for "Orion EQ-G Atlas driver in indilib" got me this link, hopefully that will help.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Well, I finally had a chance and got the Pi4 hooked up for a test. It appears that everything is working well now - except wireless and Polemaster. I fixed wifi - I added a dongle TP LINK AC600 which is an Archer T2U Plus. For future Pi4B setter uppers - use this https://github.com/morrownr/8821au-20210708 - to get it working. I tried many,many other drivers and none worked. I only came across this because I searched using the Archer T2U Plus. Using the rtl8812au was not the way to find the driver - for the Pi4. So the only problem left is the Polemaster - which if I read the INDI docs correctly may be moot/obsoleted by their method of plate solving. I am concerned that it says to point your mount to Polaris. It does not say polar align to Polaris. After starting up the EQMOD you are supposed to slew to a star and plate solve. From then on you are supposedly good to go... I just wonder how much struggle the motors will have trying to compensate for a physically inaccurate alignment. I can attest in the past that if I'm not spot on - physically - the mount really goes nuts trying to maintain the object I'm photographing... it usually ends in a gradual "sliding" of the images from one to the next. No clear skies at this point... but the weather/predictions changes within an hour or two so who knows when I will be able to get an actual session in next. The docs do indicate that it might be a good idea to slew to a couple of objects to refine the alignment.

Skyhiker - I found that in INDI I can use an EQ6 as the mount. Apparently the Orion is the same/similar to a skywatcher 6? (At least I think that was the model - I don't have the reference in front of me at the moment). Anyway the Orion EQ-G/EQMOD is available. Have you had any problems aligning your mount that I should be aware of? Do you use this: https://www.indilib.org/support/tutoria ... -ekos.html ?

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 pm Funny that wifi to the LAN doesn't work - it does connect but then drops it in favor of the hotspot.
You must be doing something wrong. After the directions that I summarized for you, the hotspot is gone. You must somehow not have disabled the hotspot. If that's the reason why you bought a dongle, it was probably not necessary, and you could have saved yourself the driver trouble.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:01 pm So the only problem left is the Polemaster - which if I read the INDI docs correctly may be moot/obsoleted by their method of plate solving.
Yes.
Star Dad wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:01 pm I am concerned that it says to point your mount to Polaris. It does not say polar align to Polaris.
Polar alignment is done to the NCP, not Polaris.
Star Dad wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:01 pm After starting up the EQMOD you are supposed to slew to a star and plate solve. From then on you are supposedly good to go... I just wonder how much struggle the motors will have trying to compensate for a physically inaccurate alignment.
You may need to read up a bit on how it works before running to conclusions.
Star Dad wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:01 pm The docs do indicate that it might be a good idea to slew to a couple of objects to refine the alignment.
PA by Ekos is always based on 3 plate solves. After that you do goto alignment. Move the scope, sync, goto some other object and repeat. I first do a plate solve near the NCP, then a bit further, then a good deal further. Then it's usually good enough but I often end up doing a goto/sync twice, the second one for exactness.
Star Dad wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:01 pm Skyhiker - I found that in INDI I can use an EQ6 as the mount. Apparently the Orion is the same/similar to a skywatcher 6? (At least I think that was the model - I don't have the reference in front of me at the moment). Anyway the Orion EQ-G/EQMOD is available. Have you had any problems aligning your mount that I should be aware of? Do you use this: https://www.indilib.org/support/tutoria ... -ekos.html?
That article is from 2013! It is not wrong, but it sounds like it was written when plate solving was just implemented. I never click "slew to target" because it is iterative and looks like it never ends. Instead, I always use "Sync". If it is not dead on I goto the same target again, and then it is dead on - because the sync was done from very nearby. Here's my workflow:

1) Use the autofocuser tab to get focus.
2) Use the plate solver tab for polar alignment
3) Use the plate solver tab for goto alignment
4) Start the autoguider
5) Start taking images

It will take a while to get used to Ekos but it's no different than with any other tool. It is helpful to have everything in one single tool so everything works together without question. Hope this helps, enjoy Ekos!
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

@SkyHiker Thank you for clarifying... This will really help me when I finally get a chance to try it out. Yeah, I know its the NCP - but the docs do say "near Polaris". I'm still a bit concerned - I have to physically set up and take down each session (unless I'm camping and then I can leave everything up for a couple of days). And every time I set up the Polemaster has me adjusting the RA/DEC bolts to get the NCP centered. But, I guess I'll just have to see how EKOS figures it out and see if the mount tracks well. Which brings another question - do you use PHD or the built-in(?) guiding software. EKOS itself, during set up, says I should use it's guider - not PHD. What do you think?

Many,many thanks for the guidance. I am really excited about the Pi/Astroberry, etc. and cannot wait to get to try it all out. My laptop which I control everything from now (the windows partition only) is getting more flaky everyday and I am trying to get everything I can backed up so when the Pi is finally tested out I can reinstall windows. I won't be using it much, but I'll still need it for non AP reasons from time to time.