Observing Report for 20 July 2022 – always nice to have a back up plan!

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 20 July 2022 – always nice to have a back up plan!

Post by kt4hx »

The weather around here has not been the most conducive for observing of late, particularly at home. It has been too hot and humid with hoards of ravaging mosquitoes, or it’s been cloudy and rainy. Even at the dark site things have been unstable, minus the mosquitoes at least. But a small window of opportunity (possibly) opened up. I also needed to get over to the dark site house so that our heating/ac guy can take a look at our system there. So off I went Wednesday morning, with the 50-50 hope that I might get some observing in until he could make it over.

The first night was supposed to have the possibility of average transparency and seeing, at least that is the line my forecasting sites were trying to sell. An interesting aside to this whole ordeal is that I found out (by holding the wrong end of the stick) that since my last trip over in June, some yellow jacket wasps had decided to build nests in a couple of places. The main one was under the cap of one of our propane tanks off the side of the garage, next to where I observe. I typically stage stuff there, leaning tables and such against the tanks until I set it all up, banging the tanks as I do. So you can well imagine what the wasps thought of that!

Anyway, I got zapped a couple of times on my arms before I realized what the crap was going on. Watching their comings and goings I was able to extract the stuff I had placed there and move them elsewhere for staging without further pain. I then hopped in the truck and made the one mile drive to the store and bought a can of hornet-wasp spray. The battle began shortly thereafter. I did not get all of them, but the next morning bodies were everywhere with a few buzzing around. I was able to put a direct shot into the nest opening and will wait to see what is going on later in the day. My plan is to remove the nest once I am certain it is caput! The second nest is in a bush outside the kitchen windows. I was able to place a shot of spray into the next doorway and will monitor/remove it as well. Oh the joys of country life!

So that bit of insect warfare was not a good sign, and as it turned out, the evening was a bit off kilter as well. The forecast for average transparency/seeing was anything but. The primary band of the Milky Way is typically robust from Perseus all the way through Scorpius on a typical night. This night it was kind of pathetic. Not much was seen until one reached the area of Deneb, then it was faded across the sky into Sagittarius. The steam from the “teapot”, which is normally bold and eye catching, was more of a breath of a mirror. Side extensions into Lyra were non-existent to the eye. The Great Rift, while seen, was of low contrast. So after the wasp fest, the dinginess of the sky was a bit of a letdown. On the fly I abandoned my planned galaxy hunting expedition, and decided to revisit some globular clusters. With a few exceptions the ones I pursued I had not observed in years, so I thought it would be fun to return to the scenes of those past crimes! :) So with that, let’s move on to my leisurely couple of hours of wandering about a below average country sky.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

NGC 6144 (Scorpius, globular cluster, mag=9.0, size=7.4’, SBr=13.1, class=11):
I headed to the celestial scorpion to begin this little journey. Swinging the big dob down low I aimed at Antares. Through the 8x50 RACI finder, I could easily see Messier 4 as a large and round diffuse glow. But it could wait a few moments. Aiming the scope to a point just northeast of M4 and northwest of Antares, I moved to the eyepiece (152x) and was greeted by this soft orb of light. It presented as a slightly large and very diffuse irregularly round glow. I noticed about half a dozen stars resolved across its face. Overall it had a granular appearance, hazy and indistinct. Dropping in the XW10 (199x) the cluster remained an otherworldly and ghostly apparition with only a few stars resolved against its diffuse glow. The cluster was discovered in 1784 by William Herschel.

Messier 4 / NGC 6121 (Scorpius, globular cluster, mag=5.4, size=36.0’, SBr=12.9, class=9):
Less than 1° southwest of the previous cluster I easily scooped up this behemoth. At 152x it was a very large and very bright roundish stellar field. Countless stars were resolved across its dimension, with a very noticeable strand bisecting the cluster’s center. A few “spiral arms” of stars seemed to curve outward from the cluster’s core giving it a vague pinwheel impression. I also viewed it at 199x and it was simply stunning. It was bountifully resolved, yet presented some diffuse density within the central core. At a distance of about 7,200 LY, it is the closest globular to our solar system, and the first in which individual stars were seen. Discovered in 1745 by Philippe de Chéseaux, it was also independently discovered by Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille in 1752 and again by Messier in 1764.

Messier 80 / NGC 6093 (Scorpius, globular cluster, mag=7.3, size=10.0’, SBr=12.0, class=2):
Moving up to Sigma Scorpii (mag 2.9), I nudged NNW not quite 3° to easily find another from the catalogue of Charles Messier. Just detected in the RACI finder, it was easily seen at 152x. Appearing slightly large and very bright, its core was very compressed and bright. Overall its rounded disk was granular in appearance. Moving to 199x I noticed over a dozen stars resolved in the peripheral areas of the cluster, but its core remained very tight and bright. Charles Messier discovered this object in 1781.

NGC 6229 (Hercules, globular cluster, mag=9.4, size=4.5’, SBr=12.4, class=4):
It had been about nine years since I last observed this object, so I decided to pay it a visit. While I have observed both M13 and M92 at various times over the years, I had not done so with this cluster. The scope was pointed at mag 3.8 Tau Herculis, and then I followed the line from mag 4.2 Phi Herculis through Tau to the northeast, stopping at 42 Herculis (mag 4.9). In the RACI finder I could easily see a pair of 8th mag stars almost 2° southeast of Tau; the pair forms a triangle with NGC 6229. Moving to the eyepiece (152x) I spotted my target as a bright, small and round glow. The core was very small and compressed within a small diffuse halo. To the eye the disk appeared quite granular. Viewed with 199x its body displayed quite a grainy texture, with the very small core brightly blazing at the center of its disk. This little object was discovered by William Herschel in 1787.

NGC 6934 (Delphinus, globular cluster, mag=8.9, size=7.1’, SBr=12.9, class=8):
I next moved into the celestial Dolphin, aiming the scope at mag 4.0 Epsilon Delphini (Aldufin). Nudging SSE almost 4° I easily spotted this globular using 152x. Visually it was slightly small but bright. Rounded in shape it contained a broadly brighter core set within a grainy outer halo. As seeing shifted, I was picking up glimpses of a few stellar pin pricks across the face of the core. Viewed with 199x additional stars were drifting in and out of view across its disk, but it remained largely unresolved, though bright and impressive. Another William Herschel discovery, he first observed this object in 1785.

NGC 7006 (Delphinus, globular cluster, mag=10.6, size=3.6, SBr=13.1, class=1):
Moving to the dolphin’s nose, mag 5.1 Gamma Delphini, I then moved eastward not quite 3.5° to pick up a quadrilateral of four stars (6th to 8th mag). The cluster was spotted immediately northeast of the northwestern star in this pattern. Easily spotted at 152x it was small and slightly dim, presenting a homogeneous little disk. With 199x it was more apparent, and though its core showed some subtle signs of brightness, it remained a smooth round orb. I did bump up to 283x and I then starting picking up a few intermittent stellar points across its small disk. Its core seemed stellar at this point. Overall it was a very weak visual object when compared to its constellation mate, NGC 6934. William Herschel gets the credit for this one too, discovering it in 1784.

Messier 71 / NGC 6838 (Sagitta, globular cluster, mag=8.4, size=7.2, SBr=12.4, class=11):
I really like this cluster! I have returned to it several times in recent years. I think it is simply a gorgeous cluster, set within a busy Milky Way field. So here I am, back again. Aiming the scope at Gamma Sagittae (mag 3.5), I quickly found this cutie-pie. At 152x it was very bright, set within a beautifully rich field. Countless stars were resolved across its very loose irregular disk. Studying it closely I had a strong sense of a triangular shaped diffuse core region. This was something that I don’t recall seeing previously. Going up to 199x it was outlandishly beautiful. The loose structure was exuding stars in all directions, with edges ill-defined as it dissolved into the rich field in which it is set. All the while that sense of a triangular diffuse core area still caught my eye. This is definitely one of my all-time favorite globulars. Discovery credit for this object is a bit confusing. It is likely that Philippe de Chéseaux observed it around 1745-46, but Johann Koehler also found it somewhere between 1772 and 1778. Then enter Messier’s colleague, Pierre Méchain in 1780. In the New General Catalogue Méchain is given the nod.

NGC 6760 (Aquila, globular cluster, mag=9.0, size=9.6’, SBr=13.6, class=9):
I now found myself in the celestial eagle. Pointing the scope at mag 3.4 Delta Aquilae, I slipped southwest about 4° to find a curving figure of field stars. Sitting in this grouping I spotted my quarry. Easily spotted with 152x, it presented a slightly small and subtly dim round glow. No resolution of its disk was noted, as it remained a ghostly orb. Then at 199x some very subtle granularity was being detected, but little else. Going ahead to 283x a little more of its grainy texture was noticed, but there was no real resolution of this diffuse ball. This cluster was discovered by John Russell Hind in 1845

Palomar 11 (Aquila, globular cluster, mag=9.8, size=10.0’, SBr=14.5, class=11):
This object was last observed in 2013, so off I went in search of this challenging object. Winding my way southeasterly from Delta Aquilae, I finally located my field a little over 12° SSE of Delta. I picked up a small house shaped grouping of stars (7th to 9th mag), then shifted my attention to its northeast next to a mag 8.6 field star. At 152x I was picking up a very small and very weak rounded glow immediately southeast of the star. It was elusive and seemed to waft in and out of view as seeing shifted. Going to 199x it was more apparent but still quite low in surface brightness. I then tried at 283x but it remained nothing more than a round diffuse light dusting of light adjacent to the star. This object was discovered on the original Palomar plates in the 1950s. Some of those who worked on the project read like a who’s who of professional astronomers - George Abell, Fritz Zwicky, Edwin Hubble, Halton Arp and Walter Baade. Two of the 15 Palomar globulars were previously discovered visually, Pal 7 by Lewis Swift in 1889 and Pal 9 by William Herschel in 1784.

NGC 6814 (Aquila, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.2, size=3.0’x2.8’, SBr=13.2):
While I did not intend to do any galaxy hunting, I did decide to pay this one a visit as it too was observed nine years ago along with Pal 11. About 2.5° south of Pal 11, I found a scalene triangle of three stars (6th, 7th and 9th mag). The galaxy lay along one side of this figure and there I searched. Using 152x I picked up a small and round very ghostly glow with a very subtle brightness in its core. Because of the poor conditions most of the outer extent of this face-on barred spiral was just not being picked up. I also observed with 199x and 283x, and while more apparent, it was still weak visually. It remained very ghostly and diffuse. However, a very weak stellar core was now being picked up. Additionally at 283x I was also getting very sporadic flashes of a foreground star off-set from the stellar core near the edge of the haziness of the galactic disk. I think under better transparency this could be an interesting one, and I hope to check it out again. William Herschel was the first to observe this object, doing so in 1788.

Alessi 10 (Aquila, open cluster, mag=7.3, size=18.0’):
This cluster was my only new object for the evening. Since it was close to the area where both Pal 11 and NGC 6814 are located, I decided to toss it into the mix as well. After finishing up with the previous object I slipped about 2° ESE to the star 51 Aquilae (mag 5.4). Then turning east for about 3.5° I found a wide spaced vertical line of three stars (8th and 9th mag), the northern two of which are in this cluster’s field. This field lay next to the Aquila-Capricornus border. Studying the field with 152x I counted about 30 to 40 scattered stars ranging from 8th to 13th magnitude. However, I am not certain all these stars are really part of the cluster or only the brighter ones. Nonetheless, it was still a pretty cluster that was well detached from the surrounding field. This cluster was discovered by Bruno Alessi in the 1997-98 time frame and his studies seem to indicate that the main stars do share the common motion normally found in cohesive clusters. (New)

Messier 15 / NGC 7078 (Pegasus, globular cluster, mag=6.3, size=18.0’, SBr=12.3, class=4):
It was now after midnight, and I had endured the weak conditions, heavy dewing (dew heaters were at work), periodic bands of clouds, and finally a lot distant lightening flashes. So this beautiful globular would be my final object. Aiming the scope at mag 2.1 Enif (Epsilon Pegasi) and made the hop to the northwest to easily sweep up M15. At 152x it was very bright and very large. Round in shape, myriad stars were resolved across the disk, with a strongly bright compressed core serving as a beautiful backdrop to the countless stars. It reminded me of one of those large fireworks going off with all the sparkles bursting out from the center. This cluster is always a stunning visual treat and a very pleasing way to wrap up my evening.

And that was a wrap on the evening. While the conditions were nowhere near what I had hoped for, it was still a pleasing and rewarding outing. I got to revisit some old friends from nights of old, and revel in the distinctive beauty of globular clusters. It is easy to just assume they all will look alike because they do share commonalities. However, they are all still unique and present interesting contrasts at times. Thanks for coming along on this short journey, and I hope to see you back out there the next evening. The technician will not get over here until Friday morning, so that gives me one more night to peruse the night sky before heading home. Keep looking up friends.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 20 July 2022 – always nice to have a back up plan!

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. A nice observing report, bee that as it may (pun intended :lol:). With the short time and poor conditions you still pulled out several nice globular clusters in your session. Thanks for your latest report Alan and I hope that you can get back to plan A again soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:22 pm Hi Alan. A nice observing report, bee that as it may (pun intended :lol:). With the short time and poor conditions you still pulled out several nice globular clusters in your session. Thanks for your latest report Alan and I hope that you can get back to plan A again soon.

Thank you Marshall. On the "bee" front, both nests have been removed now. So that threat is over, thank goodness! Conditions are supposed to be above average transparency and poor seeing tonight. If that holds, I should be back to "Plan A" yet again. But it always pays to have something in your hip pocket just in case. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great glob hunt Alan! Summer is the glob time and I encourage observers to follow your lead and spend some time catching them. Brighter globs stand well to light pollution, can be observed with variety of instruments from 8x40 binos to 17" DOB, and are among the most stunning targets.

Glad that your wasp problem is taken care off. We don't have many of those but have to watch out for the black widows all the time.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:10 pm Great glob hunt Alan! Summer is the glob time and I encourage observers to follow your lead and spend some time catching them. Brighter globs stand well to light pollution, can be observed with variety of instruments from 8x40 binos to 17" DOB, and are among the most stunning targets.

Glad that your wasp problem is taken care off. We don't have many of those but have to watch out for the black widows all the time.

Thank you Andrey. Like yourself, I tend to spend the bulk of my time pursuing galaxies. They are after all vastly more numerous than any other DSO type. However, it is good to diversify from time to time, to remember some of the fun time spent pursuing globular clusters. They range from being obvious to extremely challenging, with some easily giving up their stars to our telescope while others keep a death grip and refuse to resolve anything. They are fun, intriguing and often beautiful.

Yeah, I've had some experience with yellow jackets before and they can be quite aggressive. Fortunately it is done and I won't have to worry about them this evening. We have black widows of course, but I don't see them too frequently. But that is okay with me. :)
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

From yellow jacket wasps nests to globular clusters. There is some swarming similarity.
I like the clusters you visited, some of them I will "visit" on my holiday. All of them should be visible in moderate and smaller apertures. You did a great write-up. Thanks for your report! Recommended as a VROD.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Yet another great report there Alan.

I bet you got a real 'buzz' out of it (sorry, but Marshall started it :roll: )

Not nice to have to battle the insects before you get started on a session, but hopefully you have cured the problem for next time.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:51 am From yellow jacket wasps nests to globular clusters. There is some swarming similarity.
I like the clusters you visited, some of them I will "visit" on my holiday. All of them should be visible in moderate and smaller apertures. You did a great write-up. Thanks for your report! Recommended as a VROD.

Thank you John. I hope you have better conditions for observing on holiday and no stinging insects. Enjoy the swarm! :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:52 am Yet another great report there Alan.

I bet you got a real 'buzz' out of it (sorry, but Marshall started it :roll: )

Not nice to have to battle the insects before you get started on a session, but hopefully you have cured the problem for next time.

Thank you Vanessa. Indeed, buzzing was had. While they won the initial battle with their stingers, I won the war with my spray! My arms still itch from the irritation however. So even though the nests are gone, I have a constant reminder for the moment. ;)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great report Alan and I particularly enjoyed your host of globular clusters that you managed to observe. In my notes I see that I caught both of the Delphinus globs in 2016 with the Z10. Sagitta (M71) I caught in 2015 along with M56 in Lyra, of which I have noted a degree of similarity between the former and latter, both "loose" as far as Shapley classification goes and both embedded in rich star fields. Need to revisit those. Sorry about the wasp problem. Once I had a large nest of the buggers while living in Georgia. I climbed up on a high ladder to reach under the eves of the house and sprayed the nest directly. Since it was around noon on a hot day they were very active and came out to greet me with about 15 stings. I kept spraying but then managed to fall off the ladder resulting in severe sprain of my right arm. Not very smart. I also located an underground nest of yellowjackets in the yard last summer. This time I called the exterminator and they came out at 5:30 in the morning and attacked the nest before the insects were active. At any rate, you made it through the experience and also, congrats on the VROD for the day!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD for your report Alan.

I knew you would get it :)
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:56 pm Great report Alan and I particularly enjoyed your host of globular clusters that you managed to observe. In my notes I see that I caught both of the Delphinus globs in 2016 with the Z10. Sagitta (M71) I caught in 2015 along with M56 in Lyra, of which I have noted a degree of similarity between the former and latter, both "loose" as far as Shapley classification goes and both embedded in rich star fields. Need to revisit those. Sorry about the wasp problem. Once I had a large nest of the buggers while living in Georgia. I climbed up on a high ladder to reach under the eves of the house and sprayed the nest directly. Since it was around noon on a hot day they were very active and came out to greet me with about 15 stings. I kept spraying but then managed to fall off the ladder resulting in severe sprain of my right arm. Not very smart. I also located an underground nest of yellowjackets in the yard last summer. This time I called the exterminator and they came out at 5:30 in the morning and attacked the nest before the insects were active. At any rate, you made it through the experience and also, congrats on the VROD for the day!

Thank you Michael. Though I spend most of my time galaxy hunting, globs do hold a very special place in my heart and soul. It felt good to get back to them that night, even if they were not my first choice initially. They never fail to please in my book, and they are very diverse in appearance, size and brightness. :)

Yes the yellow jackets. I was just out while ago and the remnants of the colony (about 6 or so) were trying to re-establish a presence in the top of the propane tank again, despite my having removed the nest. There were a few remnants in there and they were working on it. So I let them have it as well and scraped the last little bit of it out of the lid. I will give them credit, they don't take no for an answer! :lol: Back in the 70s in southern Indiana I was mowing our yard one afternoon and every time I walked past a certain section of the foundation I felt something hit my leg, but I thought it was just debris from the mower bouncing off the concrete. Not so as I found out the third time though. I had a swarm of yellow jackets whose nest was in the ground along the foundation. I was stung almost 20 times. While I do not have an allergic reaction to stinging insects, I felt pretty ill that evening because of all the jabs. I was okay the next day, but that following evening I took care of them! :evil:
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:45 pm Congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD for your report Alan.

Thank you Vanessa. Don't tell anyone, but I do send Michael money every month to insure my reports are selected for the VROD! :lol:
Alan

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

kt4hx wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:33 pm
Butterfly Maiden wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:45 pm Congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD for your report Alan.

Thank you Vanessa. Don't tell anyone, but I do send Michael money every month to insure my reports are selected for the VROD! :lol:
That is okay Alan. Your secret is safe with me. I won't tell anyone else ;)
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Yeah that extra money comes in handy!!! 🤑🤑🤑
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:12 pm Yeah that extra money comes in handy!!! 🤑🤑🤑

Best $2.00 per month I ever spent! :whistle:
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:38 am Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John, and appreciated the nomination. :)
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Nice report, Alan! I've been working on globulars as well...haven't got the galaxy bug yet and may never, but always have your great reporting to stay informed :)

Haven't had a good session of late...spouse is dealing with medicals, and the weather has really been lousy! Got out last night for a fix, but didn't last long :x Will try again tonight.

Congrats on your VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:04 pm Nice report, Alan! I've been working on globulars as well...haven't got the galaxy bug yet and may never, but always have your great reporting to stay informed :)

Haven't had a good session of late...spouse is dealing with medicals, and the weather has really been lousy! Got out last night for a fix, but didn't last long :x Will try again tonight.

Congrats on your VROD!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Well the galaxy thing is not for everyone, and I get that. The majority are not objects in which one can see serious detail if any at all other than shape, size, brightness and perhaps a brightened core. But my focus on them began back around 1980 with the first look at M51 through my then new Coulter 17.5 inch. It was near photographic and while that level of detail is not the norm across the board I was hooked. :) Globulars now, are a fine past time to engage. They are interesting, often beautiful and can reveal some curious detail at times.

Sorry to hear that your wife is have some issues. I know that as our generation gets older things don't always go well, and presents some challenges for us. I hope things work out well for her and she is feeling better sooner rather than later.

Agreed, the weather has been poorly. If its not raining, then the sky is murky with humidity and the mosquitoes around our area are voracious. I rarely observe at home during the summer any more because it has gotten brighter and is unpleasant to be out at night. But this year even the dark site area has not been as good. I am looking forward to things settling down this fall (hopefully) so I can get some good galaxy hunting in! :)
Alan