For Star Parties located in the US.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Grand Canyon / Kaibab 2023

Post by SkyHiker »

The Kaibab star party is held simultaneously with the Grand Canyon star party at the North and South rim. It was borne from the need of having a bit more space than the patio of the lodge at the North rim that can only accommodate about 10 scopes max, and that is also for outreach only. The Kaibab site is at the front of the Kaibab Lodge and deMotte campground that are right next to each other, on a large meadow. It is outside the park less than half an hour from the North rim by car (assuming you are not held up by freely roaming bisons). The skies were Bortle 1 in 2022 on the nights when it was clear. There is a monsoon roughly from mid June through mid September. In 2022 we were out of luck on most nights except one. We try to have a presentation every day at the Kaibab lodge. The Kaibab lodge also has a good restaurant, and there is a small store across the road. Keep in mind this is pretty remote, generally no cell phone or internet except at the Kaibab lodge, and the water is trucked in.

https://www.saguaroastro.org/grand-canyon-star-party/
https://www.saguaroastro.org/kaibab-lodge-star-party/

When making reservations at the lodge or campground don't wait too long because you will be competing with the rim to rim hikers. There will be fewer of them later in the season because of the heat but we want to sync with the GC party. You can also camp wild in the national forest but please be modest and ecologically responsible when you do that. So far it has been a small star party with about 10 participants total or so, with a decent number of guests viewing on good nights. It is mainly an outreach event but you can do AP in a slightly separated location. Both spots are on the large meadow facing the road. While the skies are Bortle 1, the south bound cars turning around one corner on the road shine their brights straight at us. We found a different spot nearby shielded by a slight hill so with any luck that will fix the problem next year.

I am not an organizer myself though I have been involved in some meetings to give this event some more exposure. We have started working with the Kaibab lodge and national forest service to get some extra places to stay as late comers had to be turned down last year because it was too late to make reservations. What this results in remains TBD. Just don't wait too long. Besides the star party there is the fabulous North rim, the North Kaibab trail, and Vermillion cliffs not too far away. Lots of forest roads and hiking trails or other interesting nature sites.

At this time get your directions and instructions from the two links above. Depending on the organizational developments, other sites may show up later.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Grand Canyon / Kaibab 2023

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks Henk,

I really enjoy reading about this wonderful event even though I probably won’t ever get there. I’ve been to the GC several times over the years and can only imagine what a nice time it would be. It’s an absolutely beautiful place.

Thanks for sharing!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Grand Canyon / Kaibab 2023

Post by helicon »

Thanks for he info Henk. May try to attend, if possible. I have enjoyed several trips to the GC over the years, including the hike down to the floor of the canyon and back.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N