On this day!

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

On this day!

Post by Frankskywatcher »

I’m sure a lot of you remember this day it was epic!
I can’t believe all the moon landing deniers out there and most because of the simulated landing until the craft actually set down and the onboard cameras started rolling!
It makes you scratch your head,I can remember the President talking to them live!
PS he’s selling his jacket from the flight it could fetch up to 2 million !
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... llion.html
Attachments
2BA175CA-47AF-45CA-BAA5-B8029B135185.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: On this day!

Post by Ylem »

I remember that day well!

I remember my grandfather saying how lucky I am, that I would live to see the Mars (human) landing in the 1980s, and Venus by 2000!

I worked with a Moon landing denier, he said there is no way it could be done without a Windows computer and graphics.
My response was, the absence of that stuff made it possible.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Frank. I well remember this day when a man named Armstrong walked across the moon. And to think, aviation really didn't begin until around 1903 and then we made a flight all the way to the moon and back by 1969. Thanks for your great commemoration post of this event Frank and the kindest of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

I always remember it as the 21st day of July, which it of course it was to those who watched it in the early hours of the morning, in the UK.

The Americans set out to beat the Russians, and once that was done, they saw no point in continuing it. At least they agreed to finance a few more Apollo missions. I think it has to be said that Apollo 13 scared them badly, and it showed how the whole thing could publically backfire if something went wrong, as it would eventually. If they didn't dare risk sending any more people to the Moon, they certainly wouldn't seriously think about sending them to Mars.

From a technological point of view, it was indeed a matter of designing the minimum required to do the job. The on-board computers were built for the job. I wouldn't have wanted to fly an Apollo mission with Windows! If they had relied on one of those and it went wrong, they would have been lost. As it was, their on-board computers 'assisted' them, enough to provide a better chance of a safe landing and return. Good timing, gravity and the educated human brain did almost everything else required. It is only modern civilisation who imagines that nothing difficult can be done without a modern computer! :lol:
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Missed out on that because I was not born until 1970. I do remember the last Apollo mission - Apollo-soyuz in 1975.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I was almost 14 years old and my family was visiting relatives in Massachusetts before we headed overseas.
I recorded it on my portable 3” reel to reel recorder.
Of course, I don’t have the tape and have no idea what happened to it. I wouldn’t have anything to play it back
On anyway!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I was 21 at the time, a Senior in college, one year from finishing my BS Physics degree. I had closely tracked the space program since 1957 (age 9)...Mercury, Gemini, Apollo. The landing was the crowning glory!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Ylem wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:31 pm I remember that day well!

I remember my grandfather saying how lucky I am, that I would live to see the Mars (human) landing in the 1980s, and Venus by 2000!

I worked with a Moon landing denier, he said there is no way it could be done without a Windows computer and graphics.
My response was, the absence of that stuff made it possible.
Hi Ylem thanks for responding.
I have to agree with you on the KISS, keep it simple stupid!
It still is remarkable to think what they achieve back then what’s the technology of the time. I was reading an article on the James Webb telescope and they said that as they were building it they had to keep rethinking everything because new technologies were coming along that they were incorporated into the telescope talk about making it on the fly and making it work that’s amazing.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Makuser wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:49 pm Hi Frank. I well remember this day when a man named Armstrong walked across the moon. And to think, aviation really didn't begin until around 1903 and then we made a flight all the way to the moon and back by 1969. Thanks for your great commemoration post of this event Frank and the kindest of regards.
Hi Marshall thank you for your comments!
It is amazing to think that someone walked on the moon and then they did it five more times, I think there was a total of six Apollo missions.
I can’t remember which mission it was,it’s the one they made the movie, I think with Tom Hanks where they were losing oxygen and then they had a problem with the computer it was like threading a needle for them to come back to Earth and if they calculated wrong they would’ve bounced off and be gone forever or something to that effect.
I like your profound insight and you are right it’s remarkable aviation didn’t begin until 1903 and then when you think of them going to the moon in the 60s in the span of human time it wasn’t even a blink of an eye,it was like a nanosecond!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Aratus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:59 pm I always remember it as the 21st day of July, which it of course it was to those who watched it in the early hours of the morning, in the UK.

The Americans set out to beat the Russians, and once that was done, they saw no point in continuing it. At least they agreed to finance a few more Apollo missions. I think it has to be said that Apollo 13 scared them badly, and it showed how the whole thing could publically backfire if something went wrong, as it would eventually. If they didn't dare risk sending any more people to the Moon, they certainly wouldn't seriously think about sending them to Mars.

From a technological point of view, it was indeed a matter of designing the minimum required to do the job. The on-board computers were built for the job. I wouldn't have wanted to fly an Apollo mission with Windows! If they had relied on one of those and it went wrong, they would have been lost. As it was, their on-board computers 'assisted' them, enough to provide a better chance of a safe landing and return. Good timing, gravity and the educated human brain did almost everything else required. It is only modern civilisation who imagines that nothing difficult can be done without a modern computer! :lol:
Hello Aratus, thanks for the reply I was Trying to remember which mission it was it almost failed and I think you are correct about it being Apollo 13 wasn’t that the one where they had to kind of guide themselves back to space but if they didn’t get The trajectory correct they would’ve been gone forever!
You’re right about smiling civilization who thinks they can’t do anything without a modern computer yet the Egyptian’s built the pyramids!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:47 pm Missed out on that because I was not born until 1970. I do remember the last Apollo mission - Apollo-soyuz in 1975.
Hi Helicon thank you for your post.
That’s an interesting observation because I took it for granted being born in 55 and I can’t remember that last mission in 1975 did they go to the moon?

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Juno16 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:39 pm I was almost 14 years old and my family was visiting relatives in Massachusetts before we headed overseas.
Of course, I don’t have the tape and have no idea what happened to it. I wouldn’t have anything to play it back
On anyway!
Hi Juno that response made me laugh!
“I wouldn’t have anything to play it back on “ I still have cassette tapes LOL!
We are the same age I was born in 55 and was in Rhode Island at the time and it was the rage everyone was talking about it!
You said you were going overseas where abouts?

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Unitron48 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:23 pm I was 21 at the time, a Senior in college, one year from finishing my BS Physics degree. I had closely tracked the space program since 1957 (age 9)...Mercury, Gemini, Apollo. The landing was the crowning glory!!

Dave
Hi Unitron I wholeheartedly agree with your statement I can remember me and my friend in cardboard boxes decorated as space capsules and we pretended we were astronauts blasting off that’s when I got the bug for space!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:30 pm
helicon wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:47 pm Missed out on that because I was not born until 1970. I do remember the last Apollo mission - Apollo-soyuz in 1975.
Hi Helicon thank you for your post.
That’s an interesting observation because I took it for granted being born in 55 and I can’t remember that last mission in 1975 did they go to the moon?
The Apollo capsule docked with the Soyuz capsule and the astronauts and cosmonauts shook hands
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:33 pm
Juno16 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:39 pm I was almost 14 years old and my family was visiting relatives in Massachusetts before we headed overseas.
On anyway!
We are the same age I was born in 55 and was in Rhode Island at the time and it was the rage everyone was talking about it!

Hi Frank,

Cassettes are modern! Remember the 8 tracks? (I'm sure that you do!).

Yes, I was also born in '55 in Mass. Stepfather was in the Navy and we were headed to Okinawa for three years. We had lived in California (Ventura) and drove back home (Mass.) to visit before we went overseas.

I remember sitting in the airport in Oakland reading about the Manson family and Hurricane Camille. 1969 had lots of memories for me.

Good hearing back from you Frank!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Juno16 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:22 am
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:33 pm
On anyway!

Hi Frank,

Cassettes are modern! Remember the 8 tracks? (I'm sure that you do!).

Yes, I was also born in '55 in Mass. Stepfather was in the Navy and we were headed to Okinawa for three years. We had lived in California (Ventura) and drove back home (Mass.) to visit before we went overseas.

I remember sitting in the airport in Oakland reading about the Manson family and Hurricane Camille. 1969 had lots of memories for me.

Good hearing back from you Frank!
You are cracking me up now hell yeah I remember eight tracks and my dad was also in the Navy he was stationed in Newport Rhode Island although we spent two years in Spain when I was very small.
Gee 1969 I was 14 years old but I am actually glad I grew up before the internet ( as I type this to you on the internet) it seemed so much more simpler than compared to today .

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

We were in our first year of marriage. Watched it live at a friend's house, with Walter Cronkite at the news desk.

I have been told, but I've not verified, that your cell phone today has more computing power than all the computers owned by NASA at the time of that landing. Would you go to the moon using only a cell phone to run the whole trip?
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Hi Greg thanks for the response and again thanks for the red film and red diode’s they are still getting used to this day !
I would believe that about a cell phone having more computing power than all of them on by Nazareth the time of the landing and hell no I wouldn’t go with just a cell phone. I can’t remember what mission it was I wanna say maybe it was Apollo 10 I can’t remember, where they had to use their brain power to make calculations to come back to earth and they would’ve missed it and got into outer space forever.
Funny that you mention Walter Cronkite I met him one time I was working as a cook at a restaurant/hotel on Block Island Rhode Island. He was there with his yacht and my boss said “you’re gonna make this meal make it like you always do but make it as best as you can and you’re gonna bring it out to somebody on that boat out there”.
Well did a little bit I know that the person on the boat was Walter Cronkite, so I bring the meal out to his boat and I get ready to leave but he says “ no no sit down and tell me about yourself”.
I think he just wanted to have some company while he eat his meals he wouldn’t eat it alone but it was very interesting nonetheless!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Being one of the youngsters of this group, born in 1994, I missed all of that so I can't add any personal feelings about seeing them at the time.

I got to see those events as recordings though, which isn't the same I know, but better than nothing.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:48 pm Being one of the youngsters of this group, born in 1994, I missed all of that so I can't add any personal feelings about seeing them at the time.

I got to see those events as recordings though, which isn't the same I know, but better than nothing.
No I would disagree.
Asides from the hype back in the day ( it was cool being a kid watching it) I have gone to NASA’s website and watched all of the missions and it was like taking me back to that time like reliving it so I’d say you in a way were there ! :dance:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars