Help Needed.

If you are interested in getting started in AP (Astrophotography) or have just begun AP post your questions here. You can also post images if you want suggestions on how to improve them.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Help Needed.

Post by Jnicholes »

I cannot tell if this is a glare from Vega, or something else. Can someone help me out?
Oddity.png
Vega.jpg
See that "star?" Its not on the stellariumweb star chart. Any idea what it is?

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Help Needed.

Post by Star Dad »

Could use some more info - is this a stacked image? If so how many minutes worth? I see large diffraction spikes (I think) and then a smaller set at what looks like about 60 degree offset. Refractors don'[t give spikes, so that's weird. In comparison to the background stars it is awful bright - and they don't show spikes (wouldn't expect them to as they are too dim).
Some thoughts ? something close and reflecting brightly? What date/time is the image? OH! I just saw you maybe used a phone camera? Is so, then I'd guess it was a reflection from something bright in your vicinity.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

You assume correctly. I used my phone camera.

I think you’re right. I’ll just call it a glare.
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

That greenish blob that looks like a nebula that I think you are alluding to is placed roughly mirror-imaged at the center from Vega. I cranked up the non-web Stellarium to magnitude 21 and there is nothing there. I wonder if Vega reflects off the sensor back to the lens, then back to the sensor. That's my best guess.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images