Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Doubles Eye Candy in Bortle 8 Skies

Post by The Wave Catcher »

2022-07-15
22:15-00:00 CST (Central Sunlight Torture) UTC -5

The night was 90 F (32.2 C) and humid but the skies were clear. I brought out my AT102ED to check out some new double stars in Bootes and neighboring constellations (ex., Serpens) that I had made a target list for using my Sky &Telescope’s Pocket Sky Atlas, Jumbo Edition.

I first anchored my Alt/Az telescope onto Arcturus to get my bearings. My new green laser pointer system made easy work of this.

From there I moved up to the double star Izar (Epsilon Boötis, ε Boötis) in Bootes. I could easily split the pair with my 5 mm (143X) eyepiece and the addition of the 2X Barlow (286X) brought them out beautifully. The main star was and orange Airy disk and the slightly blue but much fainter companion was just outside the first diffraction ring.

My next stop was the double star Delta Boötis (δ Boo). The main star was orange/yellow and the westerly companion star was about 30% as bright and appeared blue/white. They were easily split even with my 25 mm (29X) eyepiece. Given the close proximity of the pair to our solar system, the angle separation was significant.

Third on my list was Kappa Boötis (κ Boo, κ Boötis) but it was behind a tree at this particular location.

I went to the next on my list, the multiple star system Alkalurops (μ1 Boötis, Alkalurops, Mu Boötis). Alkalurops was a yellow star and easily separated from the double star Incalunis (μ2 Boötis). Incalunis was just barely splittable at 12 mm (60X) but was a clear split at 5 mm. The star on the side of the pair closest to Alkalurops was slightly fainter than it’s companion. Both appeared to be white. Alkalurops was much brighter than both. While taking a final look at the system a fast moving satellite or meteor crossed my field of view!

I swung the telescope south to the star Unukalhai (Alpha Serpentis, α Serpentis). I hopped from there to 10 Serpentis. Then to the double star 6 Serpentis. It was a yellow star and I could see a very faint star some distance to its east but I don’t know if that was its companion or not. I found some information on Wikipedia about it but no comparison photos.

I moved over to the double star HIP 74895 but it was faint and I could only see one star. I can find little information on the pair so I don’t know what it is supposed to look like.

I moved up to the white star MQ Serpentis and though it’s not listed as a double in Stellarium or my Sky Atlas, I could see a very faint bluer star to its east. I could only see the fainter star with my 12 mm eyepiece in my bright city lights. A 5 mm the light loss made it disappear. I’ll have to investigate this. Post note: It turns out that I was seeing a double star! According to Wikipedia, it is now called 5 Serpentis and the old name was MQ Serpentis when it was incorrectly thought to be a variable star.

By now a keen reader may know where I’m headed, to the globular cluster M5 of course. It looked quit large with my 12 mm eyepiece and I could almost see individual stars. I can’t wait to see it in dark skies someday. I did make out a discreet star just to the west of it.

I scanned to the north of M5 until I came across a very obvious double star that looked like a pair of eyes. It was HIP 73716. The were of near equal magnitude and appeared slightly blue in my 12 mm eyepiece. The more northerly star was just slightly fainter.

I scanned around the sky for a few minutes and then decide to call it quits. It was still 88 F (31.1 C) and muggy at midnight though cooler then it has been. Still very uncomfortable. I at least found all of my planned targets, except for the one behind a tree, and had a couple of bonus finds. I don’t know why I like multiple star systems so much. Perhaps it’s because I usually don’t know they are there until I find them and then it’s like “they are all over the place!”. Also, letting my mind imagine a planet where the sunsets are like those on Luke Skywalker’s fictitious, yet plausible planet, Tatooine. Thirdly, I can actually see them in my Bortle 8 skies.
Steve Yates

Astro-Tech AT102ED, 102 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Astro-Tech AT80ED, 80 mm, F/7, ED Achromatic Refractor
Bresser AR102s, 102 mm, f/4.5, Achromatic Refractor

Explore Scientific Twilight I Alt/Az Mount
Bresser Nano Alt/Az Mount
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Doubles Eye Candy in Bortle 8 Skies

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice double splitting Steve!

Stelle Doppie is a great resource for doubles. You can do search for specific double or create observing lists (i.e. all doubles in Booties with mag 1 > 8, mag 2 > 10 and separation > 5"). To illustrate I did search for 5 Ser.

https://www.stelledoppie.it/index2.php? ... ca=+Search+
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Thanks Bigzmey!

At home I have a narrow window in between trees on my city lot to view. That window gets smaller every year though I may get out the pole saw if it ever cools off. Before a viewing session, I survey what my little window is going to let me observer given the time of year and I pull out the Sky Atlas to see if there is anything cool in the window. In the winter I do get to go out away from the obstructions and lights more often and I may make a big list from the Stelle Doppie to take along.
Steve Yates

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Very nice report Steve and congrats on winning the VROD for Sunday July 17th. Not only were the catches good but you managed to find all of those star names - very impressive.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Congratulations on receiving the TSS VROD award Steve.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
The Wave Catcher United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Thanks for the TSS VROD!
Steve Yates

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Steve. A very nice observing report with the AT102ED scope. A very nice haul of split doubles in Bootes. I enjoyed reading this well written report and you went to a lot research to identify the star names. Thanks for this excellent report Steve and congratulations on receiving the well deserved TSS VROD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice report Steve and congratulations on the well deserved VROD!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session, great targets! Congrats on the VROD!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein