How to get my exploradome to sync with scope and I use Asiair plus

Discuss your home observatory!
Astro Cat NM
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

How to get my exploradome to sync with scope and I use Asiair plus

Post by Astro Cat NM »

Hello everyone first time poster here. I have an exploradome that is automated, Foster System, dome pro 2. I would like to know how I can get my dome synced to my mount. The wrench in this setup is that I also use the Asiair. I use Maestro on my pc hardwired to the dome (I usually don’t even use it I just go outside every 15 minutes and use the buttons to turn the dome). I cannot control it from inside my house.
I hear the term encoders get tossed around. I know the problem is that the Asiair controls the mount. The Asiair can’t control the dome. What part am I missing to then get the mount to tell the dome where it should be?

I believe it can be done, Dylan O’Donnel uses the Asiair and is synced to his observatory, If only I could talk to him 🤩

I apologize in advance for the fact that when you give an answer to this question I will have some follow up questions. I am trying to learn without having any mechanical skills, technical skills, electrical skills, mainly any skills. Learn as you go is my motto.

Meanwhile I am waiting for new parts for my dome we had another electrical storm pass over and it fried my dome AGAIN

Thanks for reading and I look forward to a solution
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How to get my exploradome to sync with scope and I use Asiair plus

Post by yobbo89 »

hi and welcome to tss ,some users here should have a dome and some diy domes , theres a variety of software different software people use here , alot of us here use sequence generator pro which should do dome controll via ascom .

might be helpfull for others to list your mount and dome

also i don't think asair uses ascom, you might have problems doing this, i think it uses INDI drivers

a read from another forum on this topic, apparently you might be able to do this if you have a mount that uses eqmod you can do dome controll with the asair, i know dylan has a eq8 , if you post a comment on a video when he uploads asap or on his instagram you might be able to talk to him, he's pretty bussy these day though. asair isn't realy supported for dome controll or in the market to do it .

i don't understand the market for an asiair , a mini pc that runs of 12v can be purchased cheaper and has more flexiblity ..

edit: also dylan o'donnell is using a pc with sq pro since last month , he got a dome upgrade from sidereal
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

To make sure I understand.

You DO have a PC located in the dome?

Do you also have a PC located in your house?

If so you can use widows remote to run the PC in the dome.

ASI AIR doesn't have a function to control the dome at this point. But at least you could control the dome PC to control the dome.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Ekos will control your dome and your scope, I think, reading their summary. I don't have an observatory but I use Ekos, and I get the impression that everything is there. No PC needed, it's a small Linux box on a Pi3/4 that you can connect to for a desktop.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I could be wrong but I think you are going to need to ditch the ASI air if you want complete control of everything. Sounds like a PERFECT time to switch to NINA. Get yourself a small i3 NUC and be done with it.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

There are a handful of folks around here like Henk that could help you out if you decided to go the Ekos/Pi route, but there are probably a lot more of us running on windows systems that can lend a hand if you decided to go with NINA. Either way you decided, good luck.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

If you were running ASCOM on Windows, I could help you. I have software that will synchronize the dome to the mount, but it requires ASCOM. I know nothing about the AsiAir.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin