Ronchi Mirror Spacing

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
DMouse Canada
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Ronchi Mirror Spacing

Post by DMouse »

Hi, I am having some issues with my 12 inch RC, the images are a little fuzzy. I have ordered a Ronchi grating eyepiece as this will show if the mirror spacing is correct. I know I have the collimation spot on so its not that! The question is to adjust the mirror spacing is it best to change the primary or secondary spacing. The secondary would be simpler as the spacing is set by the center screw. The primary relies on adjusting all three push pull screws to move it.
Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Website https://astro.bambury.ca Scope: Takahashi FSQ106DX4, Teleskop Service 12 inch Truss Tube RC -- Mount: Bisque PMX+ -- Camera: QHY268 mono, ATIK383L+ mono, SBIG STi, ZWO120mm-s, ZWO178MC
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Ronchi Mirror Spacing

Post by John Baars »

I am not an owner of a RC telescope.
As far as I know a RC telescope is by far the most difficult telescope to collimate, due to the two hyperbolic mirrors in it. Articles I read about it confirm that collimation and sharp images are only possible when the exact calculated spacing is used. In this article the secondary is mentioned to achieve the correct spacing. Please read the following and follow the links: http://www.ianmorison.com/experiences-w ... telescope/
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
DMouse Canada
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Ronchi Mirror Spacing

Post by DMouse »

Thanks for the reply John. In have been using the Howie Glatter laser collimator for initial setup and then using my camera to do the DSI method. As for the spacing, my Ronchi eyepiece arrived yesterday and it did show some over correction. I adjusted the push-pull screws of the primary mirror and the lines straightened out, pretty cool. I then did a bunch of visual viewing before taking some images for testing. Of course now I have messed with the primary the collimation is off again, but at least I know I can get that back fairly easily. I guess after a couple of iterations both spacing and collimation will fall into place, very much looking forward to that.
I am reluctant to adjust the secondary for two reasons. One, is that getting the spacing way off from the original setting is a concern and Two is that the secondary can start to move away from the middle of the tube, we are only talking fractions of a millimeter here that can make a big difference.
I did buy the imaging version of the Ronchi eyepiece and plan to connect my planetary cam to it and take some pics and then write a tutorial on my website, job for a cloudy night, eh!!

Cheers

Paul
Website https://astro.bambury.ca Scope: Takahashi FSQ106DX4, Teleskop Service 12 inch Truss Tube RC -- Mount: Bisque PMX+ -- Camera: QHY268 mono, ATIK383L+ mono, SBIG STi, ZWO120mm-s, ZWO178MC