Observing Report for 30 June 2022 - successful until it wasn't

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 30 June 2022 - successful until it wasn't

Post by kt4hx »

After a very successful outing the first night of my two night stay at our dark site house, I was ready to give it a go on the second night. The forecast was for above average transparency and average seeing. However, I always take forecasts with at least a modicum of skepticism. The proof in what I can see with my own eyes and in the results. I felt the quality of the sky the previous evening was not quite up to what the forecast had stated it would be, but then again I still came out with a nice collection of galaxies. I was also able to discern the difficult central star in the planetary nebula Messier 57, get a beautiful view of the globular Messier 5 and a fleeting glimpse of the challenging globular Palomar 5. So I went forth with expectations of a second good session, but always aware things might not turn out as planned.

This evening my intent was to return to the environs of Messier 5 for the purpose of re-observing Palomar 5 in order to better confirm to myself the previous night’s tentative observation. I would also return briefly to the area east of Arcturus to re-attempt observation of a pair of galaxies from the previous evening. I did not mention them in my report for the 29th of June simply because I was not satisfied with the results of my attempt. While I did observe one of the two in the same field, the second one was simply unconfirmed, so I made a mental note to follow up on the second night to give it another try. After the revisit to those two fields, then I intended to wander off through Serpens Caput (the western portion of this two part constellation) in search of new galaxies. It was just past 2230 hours and I turned to chart 108 in the Uranometria atlas, and thus began my evening.

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)

Palomar 5 (Serpens, globular cluster, mag=11.8, size=8.9, SBr=16.1, class=5):
As with the previous evening I quickly found Messier 5 by hopping eastward from 109 Virginis (mag 3.7) to 110 Virginis (mag 4.4), crossing into Serpens to 5 Serpentis (mag 5.0). Of course Messier 5 was brilliant just northwest of this star and as beautiful as it was last night. I did the star hop thing to the SSE (just over 2°) to the mag 9.0 star HD 135660. As before, I studied the field immediately northwest of this star in the direction of a mag 10.6 field star. I sat on the field for a few minutes to allow my observing eye to relax and adjust to the scene before it. At both 152x and 199x I finally was able to see a rounded extremely faint diffuseness that stood out ever so slightly from the general field. Just like before it was very elusive visually, and it was easy to second guess myself, however, after two separate attempts on this object I am fully confident I was seeing this very challenging globular.

NGC 5710 (Bootes, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.2’x1.1’, SBr=13.0):
Now I returned briefly to Bootes to the area just over 5.5° east of Arcturus. This is found in the Uranometria on chart 70. Doing the same star hopping I did the first night, I landed on the field 15’ northeast of mag 8.7 HD 128799, which is the apex star of a west to east triangle with two other 8th mag field stars as its base. Studying the field intently at 152x I was able to pick out this object as a dim and small rounded glow. Smoothly illuminated across its disk, it remained dim but not overly difficult at 199x.This pretty much mirrored what I had see the night before.

NGC 5711 (Bootes, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.1, size=1.0’x0.6’, SBr=13.3):
In the same field of view with NGC 5710, this one escaped my attention the previous evening. Focusing my attention to the field immediately southeast of NGC 5710 using 152x, it was finally seen after a bit, though with some difficulty. It finally revealed itself as a very small and very dim oval dust bunny just southeast of the double star HJ 2737 (11.2 and 12.0, sep 10.4’). It was slightly more apparent at 199x yet remained pretty dim. (New)

I now returned to Serpens to continue on with my galaxy hunt for the evening. However, I noticed that the main band of the Milky Way which was gaining elevation in the east was looking rather underwhelming. That led me to question if the transparency was going to be quite as cooperative as the forecast would have one believe. That suspicion would turn out to be more truth than fiction, unfortunately.

NGC 5887 (Serpens, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.4, size=1.2’x1.0’ SBr=13.3):
Not quite 1.5° southwest of 5 Serpentis I picked up this small and dim homogeneous oval using 152x. Viewed at 199x it was more apparent within the field, but remained a smooth, even disk. (New)

NGC 5913 (Serpens, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.6’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
Moving to the southward a bit, toward the Serpens-Libra border, I located this object almost 4.5° south of 5 Serpentis and just 10’ south of mag 6.3 HD 136442. Easily located with 152x, it presented a small but subtly bright elongated oval appearing homogeneous to my eye. Using 199x it was readily apparent within the view, and remained a smooth envelope. (New)

NGC 5911 (Serpens, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=13.2):
Shifting now north of Messier 5, I located this lenticular about 1.5° NNE of the gorgeous globular. Found initially with 152x it was fairly small, round and rather dim. I did notice what appeared to be a very intermittent stellar core drifting in and out of view. Taking a look at 199x it remained dim and very small. A diffuse disk, the stellar core was still quite fleeting. (New)

NGC 5952 (Serpens, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.5, size=0.4’x0.3’, SBr=11.9):
Using the star 10 Serpentis (mag 5.2) east of Messier 5 as my starting point, I hopped NNE to the field for a pair of galaxies. First was this lenticular that was not initially seen using 152x. Going ahead to 199x I finally picked up a very dim and very diminutive non-stellar dust mote. Moving to 283x it was fully confirmed as a very weak rounded diffuse little glow. (New)

NGC 5955 (Serpens, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.9, size=0.9’x0.6’, SBr=14.0):
Nearly 7.5’ northeast of NGC 5955 I pinned down another dim galaxy. As before, not seen at 152x it was vaguely confirmed at 199x as a very dim diffuse glow that possibly had a very dim field star involved with its small oval disk. Taking a look with 283x, it was fully confirmed but remained a weak homogeneous oval glow with a painfully dim field star involved in its northern section. (New)

NGC 5964 (Serpens, barred spiral galaxy, mag=11.9, size=4.1’x3.3’, SBr=14.5):
Moving to the bottom edge of chart 88 in Uranometria I continued. This barred spiral was easily seen at 152x. It presented a subtly large very diffuse oval that displayed low surface brightness, appearing faint, though easily seen. Viewed at 199x it was quite apparent within the field, but remained very diffuse and homogeneous across its disk. Its low surface brightness made it appear dim despite its listed magnitude. (New)

NGC 5941 (Serpens, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=0.4’x0.3’, SBr=11.3):
I star hopped to the field for the compact galaxy group Hickson 76, just over 3° northwest of mag 2.6 Alpha Serpentis (Unukalhai). I had previously observed only this member with the group about eight years ago due to poor transparency at the time. Since I was in the neighborhood, I thought I’d stop by to see if I could add any other members to the log. Locating the field about half a degree south of the mag 7.96 star HD 138409 I settled in to allow my eye to relax and adjust to the dynamics of the specific field. I ran through the magnification range from 152x to 283x, using both direct and averted vision to tease out any objects that would show themselves. Initially I picked up this object fairly easily using 152x. I presented as a very small and very dim smooth oval disk. Its appearance changed little as I upped the magnification only in that it became subtly more apparent at each step.

NGC 5942 (Serpens, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.4’x0.4’, SBr=12.1):
This member of Hickson 76 was spotted with difficulty about 2’ southeast of NGC 5941 using 199x. It was a very small and fairly dim rounded pip of diffuse light. Even at 283x it was weak, but confirmed both with direct and averted vision. (New)

NGC 5944 (Serpens, spiral galaxy, mag=14.7, size=0.8’x0.2’, SBr=12.4):
While at 199x, I had a very fleeting suspicion of this member of Hickson 76. As I was observing NGC 5944, I was sure I was catching a glimpse of this thin very dim sliver of diffuse light not even 2’ to its northeast. Going up to 283x I confirmed its presence, but it was a very difficult object this evening. It was just visible at times with direct vision and more surely with averted. Even so it was still quite weak visually and nothing more than a thin elongated diffuse ghost. (New)

I looked skyward after those three objects and the Milky Way was severely dampened by humidity and suspected high thin clouds. I was beginning to see some lower and not so thin clouds encroaching from the north and that was true confirmation of my suspicions. The conditions were not living up to the forecast and it was not going to get much better if at all. The Milky Way, normally quite robust and bright down to both horizons, was not at this point. There was a light poorly structured band across the sky from about 45° above the northern and southern horizons, but from that point downward it was gone. It was more akin to what I would see at home when I was still Bortle 5 quality. Anyway I pressed on to see what would happen.

NGC 5926 (Serpens, spiral galaxy, mag=13.6, size=0.8’x0.6’, SBr=12.5):
I moved NNW to the mag 6.3 star 7 Serpentis. Just to its northeast I spotted this spiral using 152x. I was a very small and dim oval glow that was generally homogeneous in appearance. Then at 199x it was slightly more obvious in the view, but remained an even disk. (New)

NGC 5984 (Serpens, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=2.9’x0.7’, SBr=13.0):
I now slid eastward to mag 3.7 Beta Serpentis. Easing SSW almost 1.5° I encountered what would be my final object for the night. At 152x it was a small and dim elongated homogeneous glow. It was dimmer than I expected and a quick glance skyward told that story. Anyway, I quickly moved to 199x and it remained a small and evenly illuminated thin oval. Though more obvious within the field, it was very diffuse to the eye. (New)

Sitting back in my chair I looked upward in all directions. What I saw told the story. A great portion of the sky was now being impacted by clouds, both of the thinner and thicker varieties. The air was quite damp and I had my dew control up on full blast to keep pace. Things were not good. After the last two objects above I did try a few others but simply struck out as I had lost any significant sense of transparency. I checked the time and it was only about 0018 hours. I was not prepared to quit that early, but it was out of my hands at that point. So I made the decision to stow the gear back in the garage and head inside. After having a nice shower and relaxing a bit I did step out on the front porch to take a look. The sky seemed to be clearing of clouds for the most part, but the Milky Way, now high in the sky was pathetic. So I felt I made the right call. Get some rest before heading home in the morning. Though the evening didn’t pan out as I had hoped based on the initial forecast, it certainly wasn’t a total bust. Galaxies were hunted and observed. Oh well, that is how it goes from time to time. Thanks for reading along on this abbreviated outing, and hope you get a chance to get out under a dark sky soon. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 30 June 2022 - successful until it wasn't

Post by Bigzmey »

While cut shot you still managed quite a few good targets, Alan. It would count as a successful session in my book.

Ironically, what is short for you is about average session for me. :) I just came back from Anza. It was a good outing but I run out of gas around 00:00. I know if I push myself I would pay later, so I wisely decided to wrap it up and continue next time. The report is coming. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:46 pm While cut shot you still managed quite a few good targets, Alan. It would count as a successful session in my book.

Ironically, what is short for you is about average session for me. :) I just came back from Anza. It was a good outing but I run out of gas around 00:00. I know if I push myself I would pay later, so I wisely decided to wrap it up and continue next time. The report is coming. :)

Thank you Andrey. I typically can last about three hours, conditions permitting of course. I certainly could never do an all night thing like a Messier marathon. I've actually never done one of those ever. I might start out looking at a few M objects, but it wouldn't take long for the allure of previously unseen galaxies to pull me away! :lol:

Look forward to your report my friend. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:19 am
Bigzmey wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:46 pm While cut shot you still managed quite a few good targets, Alan. It would count as a successful session in my book.

Thank you Andrey. I typically can last about three hours, conditions permitting of course. I certainly could never do an all night thing like a Messier marathon. I've actually never done one of those ever. I might start out looking at a few M objects, but it wouldn't take long for the allure of previously unseen galaxies to pull me away! :lol:

3 hours is about right for me to. In fall when it gets dark earlier I can do 4 hours. Basically, from when it gets dark to ~midnight. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:24 am
kt4hx wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:19 am

3 hours is about right for me to. In fall when it gets dark earlier I can do 4 hours. Basically, from when it gets dark to ~midnight. :D

When it gets dark early in fall to winter, I can possibly do four. I like the fact that I can put in that time and still call it a night at a decent hour. I get more rest that way! :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I did forget to mention that when I was observing Palomar 5 this second evening, a very dim meteor zipped through the view. I was concentrating so much on trying to see Pal 5 that the meteor actually startled me! :)
Alan

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Another great report from you. And although you call it somewhat short, you did achieve a long haul of nice target objects including your main goal of Palomar 5. Thanks for your well written and fun read report Alan and keep looking up.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

I am a bit late to the party on this one Alan (you know why though), but it is yet another superb report.

I always look forward to reading about your sessions written in such wonderful detail.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Makuser wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:21 pm Hi Alan. Another great report from you. And although you call it somewhat short, you did achieve a long haul of nice target objects including your main goal of Palomar 5. Thanks for your well written and fun read report Alan and keep looking up.

Thank you Marshall for taking the time to read my report and I appreciate your kinda comments. :)

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:29 pm I am a bit late to the party on this one Alan (you know why though), but it is yet another superb report.

I always look forward to reading about your sessions written in such wonderful detail.

Thank you Vanessa. Glad to see you back and I do appreciate your very kind comments. :)
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Thanks for your nice report! Pity the clouds came in. I suppose you'll go on where you left next time.
A four hour-session seems to be my maximum too in winter.
Summer sessions are shorter ( sun is up far too early) ,more comfortable because of the temperature, but more exhausting as one can't start until midnight.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:29 pm Thanks for your nice report! Pity the clouds came in. I suppose you'll go on where you left next time.
A four hour-session seems to be my maximum too in winter.
Summer sessions are shorter ( sun is up far too early) ,more comfortable because of the temperature, but more exhausting as one can't start until midnight.

Thank you John. Well not necessarily. I do not always return immediately to an area even if I am cut short. Sometimes I simply move on to other sections of the sky and eventually circle back around. To be honest I can find galaxies in most every direction, except within the midst of the heavier portions of the summer Milky Way. While I have observed galaxies in constellations such as Aquila, Cygnus, Vulpecula, Sagittarius and Scorpius, their numbers are limited due to the rich stellar fields and intervening dust. Next time out I am looking at returning to Aquila, Delphinus, Equuleus and Vulpecula. I also wish to try and see my first galaxy in Sagitta. There are a couple of dimmer UGC galaxies near the western border of the constellation that might be within reach. Otherwise there aren't really any other galactic targets in the little arrow. I like to stop by M71 as well as it is a beautiful cluster in a rich setting. :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Superb report Alan and congratulations on winning the VROD for today. The lesson from your report is that faint objects often dismissed as not possible in amateur scopes often can be glimpsed by an experienced observer with sufficient aperture. In your case, Palomar 5 represents such an object, having first been discovered photographically during the 1950's POSS project by noted astronomers Edwin Hubble and George Abell, among others.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:17 pm Superb report Alan and congratulations on winning the VROD for today. The lesson from your report is that faint objects often dismissed as not possible in amateur scopes often can be glimpsed by an experienced observer with sufficient aperture. In your case, Palomar 5 represents such an object, having first been discovered photographically during the 1950's POSS project by noted astronomers Edwin Hubble and George Abell, among others.

Thank you Michael, your comments are very much appreciated. I feel it is imperative that visual observers challenge themselves. The ability to actually "see" rather than to simply look is built upon experience and challenging oneself beyond what we might perceive are our own limitations. It really doesn't matter what aperture range we work at because there are always objects that will challenge all apertures in terms of visual detection. Pushing the envelope is how we truly progress to the next level of visual observing. But with all that said, we should always take time out to observe and study brighter, showier objects to immerse ourselves in the visual beauty of the night sky. We also learn over time to "see" details within these showpiece objects as our experience levels grow.
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great report, Alan! Certainly worthy of the VROD!! Congrats!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:22 pm Great report, Alan! Certainly worthy of the VROD!! Congrats!!

Dave

Thank you Dave. Appreciate you taking the time to read through it.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:33 am Congratulations on the VROD!

Thank you John.
Alan