Observing Report for 29 June 2022 - another successful galaxy hunt

Let's see your reports!
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Observing Report for 29 June 2022 - another successful galaxy hunt

Post by kt4hx »

Hi there folks! Here I am back at our dark site house a mere week after my last observing session. The passage of another cold front through the area dropped rain yet again and as often happens the astronomical forecast improves immediately thereafter for the short term. So off I went at around 1200 hours and arrived around 1530 hours on Wednesday the 29th. The forecast was for above average transparency and average seeing. Not a bad combination in the least, but I know to temper my expectations a little as these forecasts may or may not be spot on. .

I began setting up my position around 2100 hours after the sun had set and the fading light of the day filled the valley in which the house sits. The temperature outside was a nice 68° F (20° C) and would cool further as darkness approaches. I finally headed out around 2200 hours as nautical darkness had come and it had cooled to about 63° F (17.2° C). I had only to wait for another half hour or so before taking to the skies, with full on astronomical darkness predicted at 2242. Sitting back in my chair just looking around, I could see the first signs of the summer Milky Way plane at about 30° above the eastern horizon, like a dim milky stain against a darkening sky. As the minutes drifted by it became more and more apparent as the sky in general was filling in with stars – first bright and then increasingly dimmer ones. I noticed a satellite near Deneb and watched as it drifted a little bit then winked out of sight as it exited the Earth’s shadow, continuing on its appointed rounds.

I sat and gathered my thoughts, looking at the Uranometria atlas laid out on my table, consulting my notes and basically passing time. As the clock hit 2230, I thought – it’s time to get started and see where my twisting and turning route will lead me too this time out. Thanks for coming along and I hope you enjoy looking through the eyepiece with me as I scour the sky for those elusive far, far away star islands. But first, a couple of side tracks! :)

(Equipment used)

17.5 inch f/4.5 dobsonian
Ethos 13mm (152x, 0.7° TFOV, 2.9mm exit pupil)
XW 10mm (199x, 0.4° TFOV, 2.2mm exit pupil)
XW 7mm (283x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.6mm exit pupil)
XW 5mm (397x, 0.2° TFOV, 1.1mm exit pupil)

Messier 57 / NGC 6720 (Lyra, planetary nebula, mag=8.8, size=3.0’x2.4’, SBr=10.7):
So, there is Lyra hanging there and I had already thought about its mag 15.8 central star for a bit anyway, as it had been many years since I’d seen it. So I quickly aimed the scope between Beta and Gamma Lyrae and quickly swept up this bright planetary using 152x and it was a nice visual treat. It appeared as an out of round, slightly smooshed doughnut with its annulus being of uneven brightness. The interior was not dark, but displayed a dim gauzy veil. I immediately went to the XW 5mm (397x) and studied the center of the disk for about ten minutes, as well as watching the stars immediately adjacent to the body of the nebula. I was looking for signs of the ever constant shift in seeing. I could see the periphery stars brighten slightly then dim slightly. Focusing my attention on the pale white film filling the center of the ring, I could in moments of clarity see this very dim star pop into view momentarily then quickly wink out of sight. I watched this occur repeatedly as the elusive white dwarf central star revealed its presence to me in little glimpses. I could have continued to play hide and seek with it, but preferred to move onward.

Messier 5 / NGC (Serpens, globular cluster, mag=5.7, size=23.0 SBr=12.2, class=5):
I now headed down into far eastern Virgo and used it as my springboard to revisit one of my favorite globular clusters. Aiming the scope at 109 Virginis I slipped eastward passing over 110 Vir and then into Serpens. As the star 5 Serpentis slid into view in my 8x50 RACI finder, I immediately saw the globular M5 to its northwest. Moving to the eyepiece (152x) the cluster was a jaw dropping apparition. Very large and blindingly bright, it was truly a sight to behold. There were stars everywhere! I noticed several arcs of stars curving outward from the main body almost as if it were some sort of spiral galaxy resolved into stars. It had the appearance of someone having dropped a large amount of diamonds on the floor, scattering them in all directions. I even noticed a particular star just off-center within the core that stood out, almost like a stellar core within a galaxy. This is my absolute favorite globular in the northern hemisphere. As good as M13 is, I have always found M5 to be the more beautiful. Sometimes why we see one object better than another is easy to understand, other times it’s about the nuances, the subtleties. M5 and M13 are both very bright and very large visual targets and both are beautiful But there is something about M5’s visual character that resonates with me on a deeper more visceral level that M13, as good as it is, does not.

Palomar 5 (Serpens, globular cluster, mag=11.8, size=8.0’, SBr= 16.1, class=12):
Now as outstanding as M5 is, this next globular is not. In fact this object was the reason why I even went to the field. Admittedly I was very happy to see M5 again as it always stuns me with its beauty. This globular, which was part of a group of 15 that were identified on the original Palomar Observatory Sky Survey plates in the 1950s was my true intended target. Found 2° 17’ SSW of M5, it lies just 4.5’ northwest of the mag 9.0 star HD 135660. Finding the field is easy enough, seeing this extremely challenging globular is not. As you can see it has an extremely low surface brightness based on its visual magnitude and large angular size. The fact that it falls in the loosest class of the Shapley-Sawyer core concentration scale at 12 adds to that elusiveness. It has no true core concentration, which reduces its surface brightness significantly over other clusters that exhibit tighter and thus brighter cores. I studied the field immediately northwest of the appointed star for many minutes using 152x up to 283x. At moments I caught a very pale haziness but its appearance was quite diaphanous and otherworldly. There were no stars, no concentration per se, and no granularity. There was only a vague sense of an almost not there haze, something that would make one wonder if it’s really there or simply a case of averted imagination. It is located somewhere between 68.5 to 81.5 KLY from the sun as opposed to M5 which is merely 24.5 KLY distant. This is a tough nut to crack for sure, and on nights of absolutely superb conditions (which this was not), it might be more apparent. That said I do plan to revisit this field the following evening in an attempt to better confirm to my satisfaction this challenging object. (New)

Okay, now that was a fun warm up for my galaxy hunting! But it was now astronomically dark, so let’s get on with it and see what I can dredge from the sky on this evening’s journey. My first port of call would be into northern Virgo just below Bootes for a short visit, and then up into Bootes again to harvest a few more. I would wind up my evening in Corona Borealis trying to pluck some jewels from the Northern Crown.

NGC 5599 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.4’x0.5’, SBr=13.2):
I started out at Arcturus in Bootes and slid SSE for about 11° near the border with Virgo. Settling on a gentle curve of three stars (4th to 6th mag), I then crossed into Virgo to locate my first galactic target of the night. Located with 152x, it revealed a small and dim oval disk. The galaxy’s envelope was diffuse, and displayed a stellar core within. At 199x it remained dim, but more obvious within the field. (New)

NGC 5645 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=12.5, size=2.6’x1.6’, SBr=13.8):
Next up was this barred spiral. Slightly bright at 152x, it presented a small oval glow that was smoothly illuminated. With 199x I was able to spot a very small bright core within its disk. (New)

NGC 5661 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.5’x0.6’, SBr=12.9):
A little over a degree SSE of the last object I pinned down another barred spiral. Using 152x I spotted a small and dim oval disk that appeared homogeneous to the eye. Then with 199x its appearance, while remaining dim and diffuse, was a little more obvious within the view. (New)

NGC 5674 (Virgo, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.0, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=12.8):
About 55.5’ southeast of NGC 5661 I located yet another barred spiral. It was small and rounded in shape at 152x. Subtly bright in appearance it displayed a very intermittent stellar core at the center of its disk. Using 199x it was an easy object, but the stellar appearance of the core remained very intermittent. (New)

NGC 5679 (Virgo, spiral galaxy, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x0.7’, SBr=13.5):
Just about 19’ ESE of the last object I located this interesting object. This galaxy is actually considered to be the merging pair of PGC 52130 and PGC 52132. I observed this object with 152x up to 283x and while at times I thought I might have detected a distinct second object as a very faint extension off of the primary galaxy, I was never certain. In general the object was dim and small, with a diffuse appearance. There seemed to be a dim field star involved at the western edge of the disk. Because I was uncertain of the second object (PGC 52130), I only logged this as a single combined object. So at this point I am only logging it as a single object. A third galaxy PGC 52129, which is dimmer still at mag 15.5, coupled with the primary pair is catalogued as Arp 274. (New)

NGC 5508 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.1’x0.8’, SBr=13.4):
Moving back up into the celestial herdsman, I located my next galaxy using 152x. It presented a fairly small and fairly faint oval glow that was diffuse and smoothly illuminated. It remained a little weak visually at 199x, though not difficult. (New)

NGC 5523 (Bootes, spiral galaxy, mag=12.2, size=4.7’x1.1’, SBr=13.7):
Up next was this spiral. Slightly bright to my eye, it was a thin sliver of diffuse light that was small in visual extent at 152x. Looking it over with 199x it was quite obvious within the field. Its thin disk seemed uneven in brightness hinting at possible knots of dim HII structure across its very diffuse envelope. A very weak, slightly offset stellar core was glimpsed periodically. (New)

NGC 5498 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.0’x0.8’, SBr=13.1):
This lenticular appeared small and fairly dim. A thick oval in shape it revealed a weak stellar core at 152x. Viewing at 199x the galaxy remained visually a little weak, but not a difficult object. (New)

NGC 5610 (Bootes, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.2, size=2.0’x0.7’ SBr=13.3):
I next encountered this small barred spiral using 152x. It appeared as a very subtly bright homogeneous thin oval with a slightly thick center (core) region. Using 199x while it was more obvious, it remained diffuse and had a ghostly look to it. (New)

NGC 5581 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.8’x0.7’, SBr=13.2):
This dim and very small lenticular was swept up using 152x, and appeared homogeneous to my eye. At 199x it remained dim and very even in illumination. (New)

IC 1037 (Bootes, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.1, size=0.8’x0.5’, SBr=12.8):
Picked up using 152x this very small rounded glow was fairly dim. Homogeneous in appearance it remained weak visually at 199x but was still easily seen within the field of view. (New)

IC 4469 (Bootes, spiral galaxy, mag=14.9, size=1.6’x0.2’, SBr=13.4):
Almost 17’ WNW of the previous object and in the same field of view I picked up, with difficulty, this spiral. Seen at 152x it was very dim and quite small in visual extent. I was likely seeing only its brighter core because it certainly was not as elongated as the data suggests. I suspect the outer extensions of this edge on disk were simply too dim for me to see. Even at 199x it remained very small and weak visually, and was clearly the dimmer of the two within the field. (New)

NGC 5737 (Bootes, barred spiral galaxy, mag=13.5, size=1.3’x0.8’, SBr=13.3):
I spotted this barred spiral at 152x as a small and dim homogeneous oval. Even at 199x it remained a dim and diffuse oval disk. (New)

NGC 5760 (Bootes, spiral galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.5’x0.7’, SBr=13.1):
This galaxy appeared very small and dim at 152x. It was a thin oval disk that had a possible stellar core within its center. The stellar core was confirmed at 199x. Though it was more obvious at that magnification, it remained a big weak and small visually. (New)

I now decided to venture into Corona Borealis, the Northern Crown. Though this constellation sits prominently between Bootes and Hercules, it is not particularly known for brighter galaxies or DSOs in general. I aimed the scope at magnitude 4.1 Epsilon Coronae Borealis and headed east nearly 3°. I located an obvious grouping of stars near the southeastern border with Hercules. The nine brightest stars of this group ranged from 6th to 9th magnitude, and to my eye was shaped vaguely like the constellation Bootes lying on its side. It was here that I began the final leg of this night’s journey.

NGC 6076 (Corona Borealis, spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=1.0’x0.5’, SBr=13.5):
I located this object using 152x and it presented a very small and dim oval disk. It was smoothly illuminated across its small envelope. Though it remained as a dim and diffuse object it was more noticeable using 199x. (New)

NGC 6077 (Corona Borealis, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.3, size=1.2’x1.1’, SBr=13.3):
Just 3’ north of NGC 6076 and within the same field of view I picked up this round elliptical. Small and slightly dim it was the easily the more apparent of the pair in the view. At 152x it revealed a stellar core at its heart. Then at 199x the galaxy was easier and not difficult in the least, with its stellar core clearly visible. (New)

NGC 6096 (Corona Borealis, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.9’x0.4’, SBr=12.9):
This spiral appeared fairly small and dim. A slight oval shape was noted with a possible stellar core within its disk at 152x. The stellar core was confirmed at 199x, and the galaxy was more apparent, but remained small and dim overall. (New)

UGC 10275 (Corona Borealis, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.2, size=1.4’x1.2’, SBr=13.6):
This elliptical was pinned down using 152x as s small and slightly dim oval homogeneous glow. It remained diffuse, small and dim at 199x but more apparent to the eye. Interestingly this galaxy is misidentified in Uranometria and other sources as NGC 6092, which in reality is a pair of 12th magnitude stars separated by 10’ that lie a few minutes to the southwest of the galaxy. The pair actually point to the galaxy I observed and though I clearly saw the stars I was unaware at the time of the error made by the original discoverer (Bigourdan 1885) who seemingly mistook the pair for a diffuse object. (New)

NGC 6107 (Corona Borealis, elliptical galaxy, mag=13.8, size=1.5’x1.1’, SBr=14.1):
I next moved over a loose gaggle of galaxies that are catalogued as the cluster WBL-612. I had previously observed its brightest member, and wanted to return to the scene of that crime to see if I could mop up the remains. First was this elliptical. At 152x it appeared as a very small and dim rounded diffuse dust bunny. Viewed at 199x it was easier but remained a very small and dim homogenous object. A mag 8.7 field star right next to the galaxy did impact the view a little bit as well. (New)

NGG 6105 (Corona Borealis, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=0.6’x0.4’, SBr=12.6):
Next up in WBL-612 was this barred spiral. Spotted at 152x it presented a very dim and very small out of round glow. Even at 199x it remained a weak visual object, but was clearly seen. (New)

NGC 6109 (Corona Borealis, lenticular galaxy, mag=12.7, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=12.4):
This is the member of WBL-612 that I had previously observed. At 152x it was a small rounded disk that was subtly bright and diffuse. Sitting just northeast of a mag 14.2 field star, it was easier at 199x, but remained very small and just slightly bright.

NGC 6108 (Corona Borealis, barred spiral galaxy, mag=14.4, size=1.1’x1.0’, SBr=14.2):
About 8.5’ NNW of the previous object I spotted the next member of WBL-612. Found with 152x it revealed a small rounded disk that was fairly dim and homogeneous to the eye. Using 199x a possible stellar core was intermittently glimpsed within the galactic disk. Overall it was a little more apparent, but remained dim. (New)

NGC 6112 (Corona Borealis, elliptical galaxy, mag=14.0, size=1.0’x0.8’, SBr=13.5):
Just over 7’ ESE of the last object I picked up this elliptical. With 152x it was small and dim. Slightly out of round and diffuse, there was a very dim foreground star involved in the southwestern side of its disk. At 199x it was more apparent, and though still small and dim, this member of WBL-612 was not difficult. (New)

NGC 6110 (Corona Borealis, spiral galaxy, mag=14.8, size=0.6’x0.3’, SBr=12.7):
To the southwest of NGC 6112 and in the same field of view I also spotted this very small and fairly dim member of WBL-612. At 152x I could tell it was involved with a couple of dim field stars which were distracting. It was very diffuse in appearance and even at 199x it remained a weak object within the field. (New)

NGC 6114 (Corona Borealis, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=1.2’x0.6’, SBr=13.7):
Next up in the WBL-612 cluster was this spiral. This object had a couple of 14th mag foreground stars involved within its disk, plus another just off its northwestern tip. This was distracting to the view. At 152x the galaxy was small and dim and very diffuse in appearance. Its appearance changed little at 199x, with the involved stars intruding upon the galactic disk. (New)

NGC 6116 (Corona Borealis, spiral galaxy, mag=14.3, size=2.2’x0.9’, SBr=14.8):
Wrapping up with WBL-612, this spiral is about 6.5’ east of NGC 6114. At 152x it was small, but larger than the previous object. To the eye it was dimmer due to its lower surface brightness. So overall it was a small and dim thin oval that was homogeneous in appearance. Even at 199x its general appearance stayed pretty much the same, though it was subtly more apparent. (New)

NGC 6097 (Corona Borealis, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.9, size=1.1’x0.6’, SBr=13.2):
Moving on I next swept up this lenticular with 152x. It appeared as a small and dime oval with a stellar core pinned to its center. Using 199x it remained dim, and its disk was a thick diffuse oval with an obvious stellar core in view. (New)

NGC 6142 (Corona Borealis, spiral galaxy, mag=13.8, size=2.0’x0.5’, SBr=13.5):
My next stop appeared slightly larger than the previous object but similar in brightness. It was a smooth envelope of diffuse light at 152x and remained homogeneous even at 199x. (New)

NGC 6126 (Corona Borealis, lenticular galaxy, mag=13.6, size=1.0’x1.0’, SBr=13.3):
This little round disk was dim at 152x and generally diffuse in appearance. Even at 199x it remained a dim and evenly illuminated rounded dust bunny. (New)

NGC 6069 (Corona Borealis, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=13.6):
Spotted at 152x, this lenticular was very small, round and fairly dim. Generally homogeneous to the eye, it was slightly more obvious at 199x, but remained weak and diffuse. (New)

NGC 6137 (Corona Borealis, elliptical galaxy, mag=12.4, size=1.9’x1.2’, SBr=13.0):
I finally hooked one with a little more brightness to it. At 152x this elliptical presented a small but slightly bright thick oval glow. It was generally a smooth even glow that remained such at 199x, where it became even more obvious within the field. (New)

MCG +6-36-38 (Corona Borealis, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.3, size=0.7’x0.6’, SBr=13.3):
Within the same field of view as the previous object and less than 2’ to its NNW I picked up this little one. At 152x it was a very weak and petite rounded dust mote. At 199x its presence was formally confirmed as a very small and dim rounded disk with a stellar core now appearing at its center. A 14th mag field star lay between it and NGC 6137/ (New)

NGC 6129 (Corona Borealis, lenticular galaxy, mag=14.0, size=0.8’x0.8’, SBr=13.3):
My final object this evening was this lenticular. Picked up using 152x it presented a very small and dim diffuse round disk. Even at 199x it remained homogeneous and weak visually. I also looked for the mag 15.0 galaxy MCG +6-36-36 that lie 2.0’ to the northwest, but it was not seen. (New)

It was now about 0200 hours and I honestly felt exhausted. The temperature was a cool 56° F (13.3° C) as I busied myself with putting the gear away. I then headed back inside for some much needed rest. While conditions were pretty good, they were not stupendous by any means for this location. The humidity was high, but the dew control gear was doing its job and keeping the optics free of condensation. The summer stretch of the Milky Way was very evident and detailed, but not as crisp as I’ve seen it. Nonetheless it was a very successful evening, with galaxies being seen and that is what counts. Thanks for reading along and hope to catch you back out there tomorrow night. Keep looking up friends.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Observing Report for 29 June 2022 - another successful galaxy hunt

Post by notFritzArgelander »

A huge haul of galaxies a pair of contrasting globs. The central star of the Ring is indeed difficult without aperture, perfect seeing or better, both.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Now THAT is a report! And a very successful evening of catching light on so many faint fuzzies.
Congrats! VROD worthy for sure.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Very nice, Alan! I'm out of breath and needing oxygen from reading your report! Quite the marathon, my friend!! Congrats on an expected and well deserved VROD!

I've caught the central star in M57 a couple times with the 30 inch Obsession. Even with that aperture, you need patience and a steady night (at least these aging eyes do)!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Great session, well worthy of VROD, my friend! I am heading to Anza tonight to capitalize on this moon cycle. Congrats on catching Pal 5. I tried for that unsuccessfully with 8" a few years ago, reading your description with 17.5" no wonder I did not resolve it.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:55 pm A huge haul of galaxies a pair of contrasting globs. The central star of the Ring is indeed difficult without aperture, perfect seeing or better, both.

Thank you nFA. That central star is indeed a difficult challenge. Our seeing was good, but not superb. Hence I needed to wait for those moments of clarity and why I went immediately to 397x. Definitely a study in patience. :)

AstroBee wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:26 pm Now THAT is a report! And a very successful evening of catching light on so many faint fuzzies.
Congrats! VROD worthy for sure.

Thank you Greg. Appreciate your kind comments. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Unitron48 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:52 pm Very nice, Alan! I'm out of breath and needing oxygen from reading your report! Quite the marathon, my friend!! Congrats on an expected and well deserved VROD!

I've caught the central star in M57 a couple times with the 30 inch Obsession. Even with that aperture, you need patience and a steady night (at least these aging eyes do)!

Dave

Thank you Dave, and appreciate your comments. True that our aging eyes are working against us, but I think everyone needs patience and steady seeing to pull that one out.

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:53 pm Great session, well worthy of VROD, my friend! I am heading to Anza tonight to capitalize on this moon cycle. Congrats on catching Pal 5. I tried for that unsuccessfully with 8" a few years ago, reading your description with 17.5" no wonder I did not resolve it.

Thank you Andrey, I do envy your dry air there and the better transparency. Pal 5 is not for the faint of heart by any means. I did reconfirm it last night as it was my first task for the second night. It surely is one of the most visually difficult things I've observed over the years. Good luck at Anza and look forward to the report. :)
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Fabulous report Alan - exploring in Corona Borealis is not something seen everyday. Congrats on the VROD as nominated by your peers!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Alan. Wow, your report is a treasure trove of beautiful targets. With my skies and even with my 12" Dob, the M57 central star has eluded me. Thanks for this well written and extremely comprehensive report Alan and congratulations on receiving the much deserved TSS VROD Award.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:39 pm Fabulous report Alan - exploring in Corona Borealis is not something seen everyday. Congrats on the VROD as nominated by your peers!

Thank you Michael. Your kind comments are very much appreciated, as is the VROD recognition. I am also inspired by the acknowledgement of my efforts and nominations from my fellow visual observers. :)

Makuser wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:27 pm Hi Alan. Wow, your report is a treasure trove of beautiful targets. With my skies and even with my 12" Dob, the M57 central star has eluded me. Thanks for this well written and extremely comprehensive report Alan and congratulations on receiving the much deserved TSS VROD Award.

Thank you Marshall. I truly appreciate your nice comments about my efforts. There are a lot of challenges in the deep sky, and sometimes we do successfully meet them, but sometimes we do not. We've all had our share of failed attempts. I have them every time I observe. But they key is to use those to encourage ourselves to get back out there and keep challenging our skills as visual observers. :)
Alan

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Congrats on the VROD.
Making a report as detailed and entertaining to read is probably as time consuming as the session at the eyepiece.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

AstroBee wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 pm Congrats on the VROD.
Making a report as detailed and entertaining to read is probably as time consuming as the session at the eyepiece.

Thank you Greg. It does take some time to write up from my field notes plus bringing in the data for each object. But its part of a process that gives me a chance to verify details and ponder more about what I'd seen. All enjoyable parts of my process.
Alan

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Using the central star of M57 as a warming up for the rest of the observations. Only the greatest observers in our hobby do this!
And what follows.... is great.
Very well deserved VROD! Congratulations!!!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

John Baars wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:05 pm Using the central star of M57 as a warming up for the rest of the observations. Only the greatest observers in our hobby do this!
And what follows.... is great.
Very well deserved VROD! Congratulations!!!

Thank you John. Your kind words are most appreciated. While I don't consider myself a great observer, I do feel I am very experienced. That said I am still learning and evolving even after so many years of doing this. :)
Alan