Easy beginner telescope build...

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Easy beginner telescope build...

Post by ewomack »

I posted this on "another forum" and I thought I would post it here as well for anyone looking for anything similar. I wanted to find an inexpensive and very simple telescope to build just to get my feet slightly damp. The kit mentioned below was satisfying enough to make me want to continue learning more about telescopes and how they work.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

On [another forum's thread] that discussed building simple telescopes for educational purposes, I was pointed to an inexpensive kit offered by Surplus Shed. Since the kit cost only around $15.00, it didn't seem like too ominous a risk to try out. Full disclosure, I have never owned or operated a "real" telescope (I do have an old replica extending telescope that I bought from "The Museum Company" a few decades ago, but I'm definitely not counting that as "telescope experience"). When it comes to telescopes, I am a beginner in the densest sense of the word "beginner." As such, any cheap or low maintenance way to evaluate my true interest in this hobby had considerable appeal. So when I saw $15.00 - you can barely buy a decent dinner for one for that amount these days - I thought, "send me that cheap nearly zero risk scope!"

The kit comes with everything pictured on the website (though I didn't seem to receive the small round black object to the lower right of the lenses, but it also didn't seem to matter). It does not include a body tube. It also comes with one page of all-text instructions, which, especially for a beginner like me, included some unfamiliar terms. But I'm supposed to learn something from this, right? Thankfully, the Internet quickly helped me out with terms such as "crown lens," "flint element," and "double convex lens." The following image really helped me figure out what the text referred to:

lenses.png

Looking at pictures of "double convex lens" on the Internet assured me that I had the lenses in proper alignment to each other. The crown lens locks into the holder, but only a small retainer ring and the body tube hold the flint element in place. Once assembled, removing the tube requires caution since the flint element just rests against it and it could easily tumble out. The focuser came fully assembled, except for inserting the eyepiece into it, and it worked as-is.

That brings up the, surprisingly, most difficult part of building this scope: obtaining a tube. The instructions recommend a tube with an outer diameter of 54mm. Since I reside in the land of Imperial measurement, that meant a diameter of approximately 2.13 inches. Most of the tubes I saw online had 2" diameters. Would that be too small? Only one way to find out. Sadly, my quest to find a 2" diameter tube anywhere near me and ready at hand failed miserably. Office stores carried 2 packs of 3" tubes, but no 2" tubes. Most of the 2" tubes available "in the back" of stores only came in 10 or 50 packs and cost far more than I wanted to pay for this experiment. Additional searches on my mobile produced nothing in my area. In the end, I had to look online where 2 packs of 2" tubes cost $17.00 or more.

But I had an extreme dose of luck.

A few months ago, I had ordered a poster online and it had arrived in a tube. I hadn't thrown it out, and it happened to measure 2" in outer diameter exactly. When I fit the telescope parts into it, they fit "perfectly enough." The instructions also say that the tube should measure "about 250mm long," or about 9.8 inches. I cut the lucky tube into 10" segments with a small X-acto saw blade and a piece of paper as a guide. So, thanks to some luck, this experiment only cost me the price of the kit alone. Anyone without a lucky tube nearby who wants to try this kit out may have to also pay an extra $15 - $20 for the tube, except for those who may have more resources or options available.

When all of the parts fit together, it looked like this:

Telescope04.jpg

The guide paper used for sawing looked generally better than the bare cardboard, so I left it on.

Then I opened the window, pointed the scope outside, turned the focuser and saw a pretty decent, but inverted, closeup scene of trees across the street. The picture below doesn't do the view justice at all, as I took it by trying to hold the telescope steady with one hand and holding my wobbling mobile phone with the other. I probably also turned the brightness exposure on my phone's camera down too low. Regardless, it all seemed to work as promised. Having just completed it today, I haven't yet pointed it to a dark sky, but I hope to try that out soon.

TelescopePhoto.jpg

Other information: the 0.965" eyepiece has a 16mm focal view and the focuser says it has a focal length of 360mm and a diameter of 50mm. Do I know exactly what all of those things mean? Not really, but I at least now have a basic, a very basic, telescope from which to base other specifications upon.

Though I haven't used the telescope enough yet, I liked the challenge, though by no means daunting, of putting one together. I now have a basic idea of how lenses for this type of telescope fit together, though I know I still have a lot lot lot to learn. Overall, for $15.00 (again, thanks to the tube I happened to have), I found it a worthwhile, enjoyable (except for the tube part) and fascinating experience as a beginner. We'll see how it holds up out in the world.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Easy beginner telescope build...

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is a unbelievable price for what comes in the kit! Great purchase.
A f/7 can be a lot of fun.
Looking at your image you posted it s a bit misleading on the crown lens curves.
58.png
Looking left to right the curves are outside crown R1, inside crown R2, inside flint R3 and outside flint R4
The curves in the image are exaggerated but you can see that the curve of R2 is larger than R1.
You may want to double check if you did not know that.

A great telescope to view with and learn the basics of optics and maintenance as well.

If you are interested, OPT sells a set of Antares Plossl that are quite good quality
https://optcorp.com/collections/0-965-eyepieces

PS: The small round black object is a focuser end cap, you install it so the tube does not fill with bugs or dust :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Different size eyepieces give different magnification , focal length/eyepiece length = magnification so in your case 360/16 = 22.5x so by changing the eyepiece to say 10mm magnification will be 360/10= 36 , there is a limit to this normally the focal ratio which is a F7 so a 7mm eyepiece for max mag of 360/7 =51
Unfortunately it will have very little use for astronomy , but see what it does on the moon
The f7 Lady Fraktor is refering to is the focal length/ by the size of the light opening (front lens in your case) so 360/50 =7.2

Without a mount and tripod I would not get any other eyepieces for this as they dont work on modern scopes that use 1.25 inch and anything higher in magnification will be virtually impossible to hold steady
So enjoy it for what it is as its for education and not really to be used
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Cool. And you have certainly had $15 worth of fun so far. I doubt Galileo had anything more than that.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

gregl wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:23 am Cool. And you have certainly had $15 worth of fun so far. I doubt Galileo had anything more than that.
He had about 20-25mm from a 37mm objective so ewo is already ahead :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Well done, and I hope you have a lot more fun looking through it! Galileo would be very jealous: I suspect your views of the moon will be fabulous.

Re your tube: I have found that the plumbing and electrical sections in hardware stores are a rich source of telescope building materials, with pvc tubes ranging from 3/4" up to 6" in diameter. Rubbish dumps at building and demolition sites are very useful too! ;)

I have even made a 4" diameter, 6' long scope (with a 19th century lens that cost me $5!): and the tube is an old pvc downpipe with a screw-on endcap that plumbers use to end off sewage pipes (I cleaned it first!).

I trust that this first foray into telescope making has given you the appetite for more.

All the best,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

It reminds me of the time in the mid 1970's when I created a 'new' telescope out of a broken ASCO 4VTE 40mm refractor. I removed all the inverting and multi-magnifcation lenses, and got a set of 0.96" eyepeices. These gave me theoretical magnifactions of 25x, 40x & 83x. I also used a short carboard tube to get the focal distance right. I built a stand out of an old wooden pedestal.
A look at my old log book shows me that over a couple of years, I observed . . .
Moon
Saturn
Venus
Jupiter
Mars
Theta Tauri
M42 'Orion' Nebula
NGC 1981
M36 star cluster
M37
M45 - Pleiades
M44 - Beehive cluster
Castor (Double star)
Kappa Geminorum (Double Star)
Zeta Gem - Mekbuda (Double Star)
M35 - Open cluster
'Double Cluster' in Perseus
M38 cluster
NGC 457 Open cluster
M2 Globular cluster
M15 Cluster
M39 Cluster
M41 - open cluster
epsilon Lyrae - double star
Rho Herculis - triple star
Gamma Delphini - double star
M13 - cluster
M31 - Galaxy

I got a lot of satisfaction and fun out of that old telescope. I would say work your way through that list - and if you had fun with it, then get a bigger telescope.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

You may want to purchase a 0,965" diagonal for it, they are inexpensive unless you want a 0,965" to 1,25" style.
Somewhere I posted a list of things you can see with a 50 mm refractor, if I can find it again I will post it.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Well done! Looks like a fun project.

You will need to come out with a mount to put it on.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I knew it was cluttering the site up somewhere!
There is a small viewing list at the end of my posting :)
https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=10111
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Aratus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:21 pm It reminds me of the time in the mid 1970's when I created a 'new' telescope out of a broken ASCO 4VTE 40mm refractor. I removed all the inverting and multi-magnifcation lenses, and got a set of 0.96" eyepeices. These gave me theoretical magnifactions of 25x, 40x & 83x. I also used a short carboard tube to get the focal distance right. I built a stand out of an old wooden pedestal.
A look at my old log book shows me that over a couple of years, I observed . . .
Moon
Saturn
Venus
Jupiter
Mars
Theta Tauri
M42 'Orion' Nebula
NGC 1981
M36 star cluster
M37
M45 - Pleiades
M44 - Beehive cluster
Castor (Double star)
Kappa Geminorum (Double Star)
Zeta Gem - Mekbuda (Double Star)
M35 - Open cluster
'Double Cluster' in Perseus
M38 cluster
NGC 457 Open cluster
M2 Globular cluster
M15 Cluster
M39 Cluster
M41 - open cluster
epsilon Lyrae - double star
Rho Herculis - triple star
Gamma Delphini - double star
M13 - cluster
M31 - Galaxy

I got a lot of satisfaction and fun out of that old telescope. I would say work your way through that list - and if you had fun with it, then get a bigger telescope.
Amazing I also has a Tasco similar to that and also changed it , but for a finder , quite amazing what a small scope could do in 50 years ago , at home I struggle now with a 5 inch
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Many years ago (too many!) I had my first views of M65 and M66 and Eta Carina from the suburbs in an old Tasco 4 1/2" reflector, as well as Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter: and even saw the Shoemaker-Levy comet impacts on Jupiter. Magical!

Realistically, those old and ubiquitous scopes had as much reach as a modern 100mm Apo, so they should not be dismissed! :)

The other scopes that are under-rated are the old 60mm refractors: they can provide great views of the Moon, planets, double stars, brighter globulars and even galaxies. First time I saw M42 was through one of these (the one with the pull-out variable eyepiece and correct image lens!).

-Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ewomack »

Thank you everyone for the responses, comments and suggestions as I become more familiar with the sometimes imposing and ominous world of telescopes. Even building this simple scope has helped demystify this topic, at least little bit. I felt like I learned something and built a little confidence.

Along those lines, I've thought and searched for tripod mount ideas for this telescope, but I'm not sure I've come up with anything really viable. Internet searches haven't turned up too much (though I may not know exactly what to look for). Taping the telescope to the tripod might work, but it doesn't sound like a particularly effective or elegant solution, plus it probably wouldn't provide quite enough stability. Or maybe it would provide just enough?

Has anyone had to procure a mount for something like this before? It has the disadvantage of being a cardboard tube (2" outside diameter). Is homemade the only really feasible way to go? As before, I don't want to spend a wad of dough to get this functional.

I have a camera tripod with a standard screw mount, as pictured below (yes, it's an older inherited tripod, but it's pretty sturdy and has served me well in other contexts).
TripodMount.png
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

The tripod screw is more than likely 1/4-20, which is a common thread, and you can get a tap and a #7 drill at most any hardware store. Then I'd look for some plastic pipe or pipe coupling that would fit at least somewhat over the scope tube. Then I'd drill and tap that fitting for the tripod screw and JB Weld the fitting onto the tube. Being that the rounded side of the plastic pipe would be sitting on the flat tripod head, it wouldn't be rock steady, but it would work. Or you could get creative and conjure up a piece of, say 1/2-inch Plexiglas or similar (there might be a plastics fab shop in your town where you could get a scrap) and flail away at it with a half-round file until it fit nicely against the tube. Same treatment with the drill, tap, and JB Weld.

Another thought: hose clamps. Then you wouldn't have to file a concave into the Plexiglas. Just bed the tube onto the Plex with the JB Weld, having sanded the Plex to roughen it first. The hose clamps will be the insurance that it won't come apart at the wrong moment.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

gregl wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:38 am ...
Another thought: hose clamps. Then you wouldn't have to file a concave into the Plexiglas. Just bed the tube onto the Plex with the JB Weld, having sanded the Plex to roughen it first. The hose clamps will be the insurance that it won't come apart at the wrong moment.

The more I think about this, I think this is the way I'd go. A Very Generous gob of JB Weld will create the "cradle" for the tube, the plex will give you some strength and the hole for the tripod screw, and the clamps will secure it. I'd use the JB Weld putty that comes in a stick rather than the stuff in the tube, as the putty won't run before it sets. It only needs to cradle; you don't need it for adhesion.

Pls. post a photo of whatever you end up with.