I looked at the moon!

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

I looked at the moon!

Post by ewomack »

Okay, some of you will think I'm a little crazy, but my misjudgement may have actually enhanced my motivation and interest in this hobby.

I know I should have bought 11 X 50 binoculars. I know, I know, I know. But did I listen? No, of course not. Kids these days, geesh.

Instead, I just couldn't resist buying a pair of Celestron Skymaster 25 X 70s. Yes, they're huge. They will probably make finding anything dainty in the sky annoyingly difficult or even impossible.

Except for the moon.

After they arrived, I woke myself up 1:30 AM the next night and took them out when the full moon hovered through an opening in the trees outside the window (Stellarium helped me plan my lack of sleep). Massive binoculars fixed to a tripod, I easily found the moon and the view was absolutely amazing. Incredible. Mouth dropping. Mesmerizing. Stunning. Insert other words of wonder.

I saw Tycho and its ejecta clearly. Other craters, names of which I don't yet know, just stuck out. Wow. Oh my. Wow. Just... wow. I was able to clearly see and name 5+ Mares (though the biggest ones appear to the naked eye, of course, but not as amazingly). There it was... the luminous moon as I've never seen it with my own eyes before. I won't forget it and I hope to experience it again.

Naively, I did try to photograph it with my mobile phone (I did buy the binocular mobile adapter) and the results that most of you would expect are attached. :D

So a question, though I'm pretty sure the answer is "no," but do any filters exist that would work with binoculars to allow decent pictures of the moon? I know some exist for telescope eyepieces, but has anyone been able to dampen the moon's brightness with binoculars?

In any case, I don't regret buying those huge binoculars for that experience alone. Yet I know I will still need a less powerful pair for sky-hopping when the moon doesn't light pollute the evening sky. So I will also pick up some 11 X 50s, or something similar, soon.
IMG_0881.JPG
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: I looked at the moon!

Post by Lady Fraktor »

See if you can turn the exposure down on the phone camera. If you cannot and your binoculars are mounted on a tripod, try using a set of sunglasses as a filter.
There is nothing wrong with viewing with binoculars, larger ones like yours actually do nicely with some deep sky objects and with solar filters you can do white light viewing as well.
Enjoy the views on the Moon, it is a very dynamic target and the views change by the minute. :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

You can get different filters for binoculars, does yours have threads?

Can your cell phone do manual? If so, to try iso 200 with an exposure of 1/500. Depends on the phase of the moon though.
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

I've got a pair of Celestron Skymaster 25 X 70s. I found they were too powerful when looking for comets or deep-sky objects because the field of view is too small. I could never figure out which part of the sky I was looking at! However, they are great for observing major details on the planets. There are no threads on these, unfortunately, so unfiltered the moon is always going to be a bit overpowering. I have no experience in using a 'phone to take pictures, but if there isn't a manual control for the exposure, a 'night' or 'fireworks' mode tends to knock the exposure down, and may be enough. Another way might be to get a small Neutral Density filter and stick it over the lens. I hope you get some good photos!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Just cover the apertures with pieces of cardboard with a round hole cut out. It will reduce the luminosity and make the image sharper. About the latter, I tried this with my Skymaster 20x80s once and the field curvature (blurred/streaky stars at the edges) was improved. The Skymasters offer great value for the money, the optics are not perfect but decent, for me that's OK.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images