Satellite pollution

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Satellite pollution

Post by gregl »

We all know the problems satellites are causing. Today's Astronomy Picture of the Day shows it well:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap220614.html
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Re: Satellite pollution

Post by Richard »

Yes and its going to get worse year by year , seems everyone is so concerned about polluting Earth and forget about this!
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

That is mind boggling, always growing and always causing more potential problems.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Stunningly horrible.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. Yes and it IS getting worse. Most of the launches that I photograph here from my backyard are for the SpaceX/Starlink satellites and very few are for the ISS missions. Here is another link/article with many photos (some are already a couple of years old) on this situation, at:
https://www.astro.princeton.edu/~gbakos/satellites/
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I'm no fan of Starlink nor Elon.

However, that photo was posted in a Facebook astrophotography forum a few weeks ago. The group rules require disclosure of techniques.

If I recall correctly, this is not a single image and is the result of many many frames. He extracted the satellite streaks from the sequence of images and overlaid them on a short stack of nightscape images. Had he stacked them conventionally, they would have disappeared.

I have been noticing many more satellites in the 1 degree field of my 18" telescope when examining various objects. Oddly, last night, I did not see one.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Looking at that first image, I can only think of SkyNet in the Terminator movies.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

It looks bad and I don't know any astrophotographers who haven't had numerous satellites photo-bomb their shots. HOWEVER there are a few things that are helpful to know.

1) The satellite shows up because it is reflecting sunlight. When it is only recently become dark it means *you* can be in darkness, but a satellite in orbit above you is still in sunlight. Later in the night ... even the satellites are in total darkness. This means there are times when you are not likely to see any satellites.

An exception to this applies to your latitude. In the northern-hemisphere summer, depending on your latitude, there may *never* be a time in the night when satellites wont be visible. Currently (since the solstice was just yesterday) the entire arctic circle is in full sunlight. That's a latitude of 66.5°. If you lived at a latitude of say ... 50° ... you'd be able to see satellites anytime of the night.

2) FORTUNATELY there are image integration techniques which magically erase these satellite trails. If you capture enough images (e.g. 10+) you can use integration techniques that use clipping algorithms to detect anomalous pixels. e.g. if 9 of 10 frames say the pixel is black but 1 in 10 says the pixel is white, the software can analyze the pixel in the aligned frames and determine that the statistical mean is a lot closer to black and therefore the frame that says it is white must be an outlier. It can reject just the bad pixels (but keep all the good pixels in that frame) and replace the bad pixels with the mean of the corresponding pixel in the 9 remaining frames.

This technique works much better than integration by "averaging" -- where the satellite trail would get dimmer ... but not completely eliminated. In these statistical stacking methods, the bad pixels are completely eliminated and you don't have to throw out the frame just because a satellite photo-bombed it.
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

One thing I hate is trying to differentiate satellite trails from meteor trails. I have found that, by using 6 seconds exposure, the satellite trails usually appear on successive images, whereas a meteor trail does not.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I'll be back!

The next road to ours is called Skynet Drive.