Anza anniversary trip and Jupiter-Mars conjunction.

Let's see your reports!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Anza anniversary trip and Jupiter-Mars conjunction.

Post by Bigzmey »

05/29/22

Equipment: two eyeballs. :)

This was my 6th anniversary trip to the Anza site which I first visited on the Memorial Day of 2016. Here is a shot of my setup on that day.
Anza-052916.jpg
It has been memorable six years, filled with adventures, encounters with wildlife and pure pleasure of dark night skies. Sadly, the light pollution has been creeping in over the years. Nevertheless, on a good night the Milky Way is still magnificent, the sky is filled with stars, and I am as eager to visit as six years ago.

I wanted to commemorate this anniversary trip by spending the evening in Centaurus. Omega Centaury was the first target I have observed at Anza on that night. First, as a naked eye fuzzy, and then as jaw-dropping gigantic swarm of stars through the scope. Later the same night I saw bright clouds rolling in from the east and thought my session will end prematurely, and then I realized it was the summer Milky Way rising. :)

I was looking forward reliving that experience. The trip started just fine. I have enjoyed the desert views.
Anza-053022.jpg
Set the camp, deployed the scopes and was waiting for the darkness. There were some passing clouds, but I was not warried because before I left from home I have checked and re-checked all sorts of weather apps and local forecasts, and all have promised clear skies. Well, the clouds did depart, but after sunset the fog started to roll up from the valley below. I checked Clear Outside and surely enough it now shown over 90% humidity for the next two hours.

I decided to cover the scopes with tarp and wait until humidity subsides. 23:00 – still foggy and now the tarp is soaking wet on top (which was expected), but also under (new to me), and the scopes under the tarp are soaking wet as well. At this point I may as well remove the tarp. Slept for a couple of hours, the fog has retreated to the valley, but the scopes are still dripping with water. At that point I have called it a night. Well, you can’t win them all.

Woke up at 04:30 to revisit the planets parade. Jupiter has been a buzzy boy. :D On April 30 it was in conjunction with Venus. From lower left to upper right: Jupiter, Venus, Mars, and Saturn.
Planet parade 043022.jpg
Then it speeded to catch up with Mars. This morning Mars and Jupiter were in conjunction separated by less than one degree. From lower left to upper right: Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.
Planets 053022.jpg
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Anza anniversary trip and Jupiter-Mars conjunction.

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Oh well. Still any light is good even in the damp.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi Andrey. This is a great 6th Anniversary trip to your Anza Desert dark sky site. This was a wonderful read and I really appreciate the included photos too. If it is any consolation to you, we haven't had any rain here for 3 weeks and my lawn is starting to look like that desert. :lol: Thanks for your excellent report Andrey and a Happy 6th Anniversary wish to you, with many, many more to come.
happy-anniversary2.jpg
happy-anniversary2.jpg (5 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks nFA and Marshall! No rain for 3 weeks in Florida? That's crazy!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Happy anniversary Andre. I too was in Centaurus a little bit last night. Omega was a binocular object for me and was very happy to see it. It was pretty much a blobular vice globular though. I had the dew controls running full bore as we were getting drippy as well, and sorry to hear you also had that issue there. I will be back out tonight for a little while and plan to dip back down into northern Centaurus again. Biggest issue I have is getting my old bones down low enough then having to get back up! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

kt4hx wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:49 pm Happy anniversary Andre. I too was in Centaurus a little bit last night. Omega was a binocular object for me and was very happy to see it. It was pretty much a blobular vice globular though. I had the dew controls running full bore as we were getting drippy as well, and sorry to hear you also had that issue there. I will be back out tonight for a little while and plan to dip back down into northern Centaurus again. Biggest issue I have is getting my old bones down low enough then having to get back up! :lol:
Thanks Alan! For the most part dew is not an issue here and dew shields are good enough. Once in a while we get a monster dew, then it just pack and go. :lol:

Yes, manual mounts will keep you in shape: stand up, sit down, kneel to aim, sit up, sit low, walk to the table to make notes or grab EP, walk back. Doing that all night is better than hitting gym. :D

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:30 am
kt4hx wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:49 pm Happy anniversary Andre. I too was in Centaurus a little bit last night. Omega was a binocular object for me and was very happy to see it. It was pretty much a blobular vice globular though. I had the dew controls running full bore as we were getting drippy as well, and sorry to hear you also had that issue there. I will be back out tonight for a little while and plan to dip back down into northern Centaurus again. Biggest issue I have is getting my old bones down low enough then having to get back up! :lol:
Thanks Alan! For the most part dew is not an issue here and dew shields are good enough. Once in a while we get a monster dew, then it just pack and go. :lol:

Yes, manual mounts will keep you in shape: stand up, sit down, kneel to aim, sit up, sit low, walk to the table to make notes or grab EP, walk back. Doing that all night is better than hitting gym. :D
I figured you were dry most of the time. Here we suffer a lot Spring through Fall, unfortunately. Then in the winter frost! :lol: We do have our dry periods which are very much appreciated. I used to use those little hand warmers and rubber band them to the finders and secondary holder and they did a good job. I finally went to powered dew strips and bought a portable power pack to plug them into. Sure does help.

There was a time when the up, down, twist and turn process didn't bother me much. But that is not so nowadays. My age is starting to make it a bit more difficult. I still plug away at it, and when I do go on the down low toward the south I enjoy it for sure. I even fell over in the observing chair once a few years back and didn't get hurt. Now I can't say that would be the case! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice trip. The ridiculous dew is nothing new here.
It's been quire rainy, but it doesn't matter - it's too light to observe anyway.
At least you were far better off than I am.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Juha! I feel your pain. Hopefully you will get some observing done in fall. Solar and high power Lunar observing could be fun.

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great session...great read, Andrey. That's a great viewing location you have. Congrats on the anniversary!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Dave!

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Congratulations on your 6th Memorial Day at Anza Bigz!

Glad that you don't have to deal with the dew normally. It's a way of life here! Nothing that dew heaters can't take care of.

Great read! Thanks for sharing your adventure!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Juno16 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:37 pm Congratulations on your 6th Memorial Day at Anza Bigz!

Glad that you don't have to deal with the dew normally. It's a way of life here! Nothing that dew heaters can't take care of.

Great read! Thanks for sharing your adventure!
Thanks Jim! Thankfully, the monster dews does not happen here to often, dew shields do the trick for the most part.

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Well done, Andrey. Congrats on the VROD!!

What is that pad you are using for setup? Do you ever get any other observers on that location?

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Congrats on the VROD, Andrey!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

Nice report, nice to have the planets back again!
Congratulations on the VROD!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks Dave, Brett and John! Thanks for the VROD Michael, always an honor!

@Unitron48 Hi Dave. I am a member of Orange County Astronomers club. The club owns a few acers of the desert land. This is like observing from a national park but with conveniences. There are few dozens of concrete pads scattered on the site. Plenty to go around even when a star party in progress. On a typical night though there will be fewer people. Sometimes I am alone there. There is also warm house with kitchen and utilities and some pads have electricity.

I also enjoy interaction with fellow astronomers, however since majority of them are hardcore AP only, it is like talking to aliens. :lol: "I will wake up in the morning to see the planets" - "Why? They are too low to image". "I don't see motors on your mount" - "this is because it is manual, no tracking, no GoTo" - ?? - "I like using manual mounts" - ??? - "Because I am visual observer only" - ????!! :lol: