It's Finally Time To Build My Observatory

Discuss your home observatory!
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: It's Finally Time To Build My Observatory

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Bigzmey wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:32 pm That's exciting!

As Kathy pointed out, my concern even here in California would be that the garage door will not provide the same protection as regular roof from a bad weather. Even if it will hold snow would it provide adequate protection from heavy rain, without leaking over your equipment?
I was thinking the same thing water leaking in at different points along where the garage door meets the building and any other points, also summer heat beating on that roof and heat loss thru that door not being insulated .
I DO like those observatories that have a roof that either retracts or “slides” back to expose the scope.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

There are many water mitigating strategies used in this building.

Quarter round will be used all around the inside lip of the opening. This is used in hopes of diverting the water to not go into the observatory itself. The rails are going to have weather resistant material put in them making it difficult for water to use the rail as an entry point. Even still the quarter rounds will be between the opening of the rail and the opening of The Observatory hopefully directing that rivulet away from the opening. As I said, all of this is theoretical, I won't know how it works until we've got everything installed and then I'll use the hose to produce a torrential downpour. Then we'll know for sure how well or how poorly my strategies work.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

I commend you for trying a different approach and hope everything works out for you, it’s very interesting by the way thanks for sharing your experience with us!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

All right, a big YAY! moment.

So the machine shop that proposed the Jack screw idea also makes house calls, whoda thunk it. Anyway, they came out yesterday drilled four holes in the plate, tapped those holes, threaded the bolt into them, but before the bolt touched the concrete, he inserted a 2 x 2" inch square of 1/8" plate steel to act as a landing pad for the bolt so that its pressure would be spread across more of the concrete surface. It took him 90 minutes to install the four Jack screws. It fixed everything. The plate is now perfectly solid and doesn't move. The pier is now installed on top of it and it doesn't move unless you hit it with your fist and make it vibrate. I figured that's normal. So now we're just waiting for next week when everything else will happen. So YAY!

Plate Jack Screw.jpg
You can just see the Jack screw under the pier.

Plate Jack Screw 2.jpg
Here is a blow up around that screw.

An ear-to-ear cheers

PS don't you just love the new color of my Pier. It's not made out of gold. That's what the sun did to the anodized black. Kind of weird!

Pier Black.jpg
This is what it looked like before the sun bleached it.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations!!!

Onward and upward!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

Any follow up? My opinion is that a garage door roof will leak, and it won't be practical.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Tomorrow is a very exciting day. The building itself will be delivered tomorrow. It will be sans roll up roof. That isn't scheduled to arrive for another 4 weeks.

Now, to all the naysayers out there on using a commercial metal roll up garage door as the roof of the observing room.

This design, in my mind, has been simmering for over 4 years. My intent is to make this design work so in reality this is a proof of concept endeavor. I believe I have accounted for all the ways water could enter the observing room. The installer that I'm working with is also convinced that we can make this building weather resistant. We do not assume that the observing room will be watertight. For me, weather resistant will be good enough, because, aren't telescopes designed to be used outside which includes inclement weather.

Additionally, after all is said and done and if I can't make it work well enough, I do have a plan B.

Expect photos of tomorrow's building arrival and placement on the slab.

Cheers

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

And we have touchdown!

The Observatory was delivered on Tuesday, no must no fuss. It got placed exactly where I needed on the slab and I'm already for the roof to be installed.

One small glitch, the Builder basically misread the specs of the building and made the north and south walls 16" too tall. The north wall at its current size basically obliterates 30% of the sky. It's a beautiful building but it is pretty much unacceptable.

Fast forward to today and the owner of the company that built the building said they will make it right. The first method for correction is to cut 16 inches off the bottom of the building and then reinforce it so that it is structurally sound again. The second option (and the better one) which was relayed to me later today, the owner said we'll probably wind up just making you a new building.

So my only question was how long is this going to take? He said, "we'll try to get it done as quickly as possible expect at least 2 weeks." This is okay because the garage door doesn't arrive for at least another 3 weeks. So all in all I got to see what my building's big brother looks like which gives me some idea of what my building will look like.

I am pleased, or at least I will be when the correct size building shows up.

And of course to make sure that you believe that it happened, here are the pictures.
1 Obsy Shows Up.jpg
Yay, it has arrived and is greeted by one of our horses.
2 Slab Placement.jpg
These guys are experts at putting the building exactly where you want it.
3 Nearly There.jpg
It's almost in place.
3b Rooms.jpg
Looking from the exterior door of the observing room into the warm room and the exterior door out the other side of the Obsy.
4 It's An Obsy.jpg
We have touchdown!
5 The Back Of An Obsy.jpg
It also has a back wall -- with a window no less! That protrusion you see coming off the back wall is the landing pad for the roll-up door.
6 All By Myself.jpg
This looks really cool and isolated which is okay during the warmer months, but come this winter, trudging through X feet of snow might not be much fun.

So, where are we, I'll know by the end of the week.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers

chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

JayTee wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:11 am This looks really cool and isolated which is okay during the warmer months, but come this winter, trudging through X feet of snow might not be much fun.
I'd live in it in the winter!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

JayTee

Sorry to hear about the construction error.

Sounds like they are going to do the right thing by you.

Looks great!

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Frustrating and exciting times for you there JT.

I hope all goes well with your replacement.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I would not change it. Since you had your mind set on this skewed roof with roll off door, the building had to be asymmetric and that compromises the North side FOV. But that's the area of least interest so you don't lose much. With a roll off roof you would not have had this problem. You need those walls to be high enough to shelter the gear from the wind, and to walk around. For all those reasons I would keep it as is. The height of the South wall seems to be just right to me, and it looks like a nice building, too. I would not like to have to crawl around inside if it is 16" shorter.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:13 pm For all those reasons I would keep it as is. The height of the South wall seems to be just right to me, and it looks like a nice building, too. I would not like to have to crawl around inside if it is 16" shorter.
I hear what you are saying, Henk.

I have mulled this in my mind over and over. The one thing that makes the current wall height untenable is you have to add an additional 24" onto the North wall height. This additional 2' is caused by the rolled-up roof coil. This puts the North wall at over 10' tall and it then erases nearly 50% of my night sky. The lower wall height was to accommodate the RUR coil diameter.

Cheers,

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Are you taking into consideration the height you are going to need for that garage door to clear the mount and telescope? It already looks too short for it to clear the scope. I'm just making that assumption based off your previous post with the pier in place.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

JayTee wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:59 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:13 pm For all those reasons I would keep it as is. The height of the South wall seems to be just right to me, and it looks like a nice building, too. I would not like to have to crawl around inside if it is 16" shorter.
I hear what you are saying, Henk.

I have mulled this in my mind over and over. The one thing that makes the current wall height untenable is you have to add an additional 24" onto the North wall height. This additional 2' is caused by the rolled-up roof coil.
I don't get that. The rolled-up roof coil hangs off the top of the North wall about 2 feet in diameter, how does the wall height depend on that so long as it is taller than 2 feet?
JayTee wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:59 pm This puts the North wall at over 10' tall and it then erases nearly 50% of my night sky.
Realistically you will be mostly using altitude of 45 degrees and up, in that area you may not lose any. It looks like with a taller wall you could still see the Southerns skies from 20 or 30 degrees up.

Looking at your first drawings I agree with Greg that your scope may bump into the roof or will be inconveniently close to it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

AstroBee wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:38 am Are you taking into consideration the height you are going to need for that garage door to clear the mount and telescope? It already looks too short for it to clear the scope. I'm just making that assumption based off your previous post with the pier in place.
I've done more trigonometry in the last 4 months than I did all throughout High School! Theoretically, the RUR should close without touching my 6RC on the CEM 70 -- theoretically...

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

It has been decided, the building manufacturer is going to cut the bottom 16" off the current building. You can bet that I'll be watching this very closely. But they do guarantee that the building will look as it did before they started the work only shorter. Because this is my second building from these guys I trust them.

Pictures to follow, during and after this procedure.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

In the meantime, the conduit has been trenched in place and we're ready to do a wire pull.
20220909_170030.jpg
Oh, and one of our horses, the two-year-old, a curious and large animal, tried to help out in the trenching process.
20220909_165605.jpg

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Change number??? (whatever it is), I am now getting a new building built to the correct specifications. The builders felt that altering the current building would, in the long run, cost more than building a new one. So yay, I get another new building that will hopefully be here before the end of october. :doh:

Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

I hope you get this all sorted out before North Idaho’s inclement weather starts visiting you. It’s that time of year when it can arrive anytime.
On another note, I for one am your side of this design. We need more innovators like you…
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850