JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

It's Finally Time To Build My Observatory

Post by JayTee »

Greetings,

It's finally time to start building my observatory. This observatory incorporates a unique design feature. One that I have yet to find on the internet. Based on my searches, it appears that what I'm doing has not been done before.

This Observatory will be a 10’ x 15’ building. The observatory side will be 10’ by 10’ and the warm room side will be 5’ by 10’. This obsy will be placed on a 16’ x 16’ concrete pad.

The unique feature of this Observatory is using a rollup garage door as the retractable roof for the observatory side, while the warm room side will have a fixed roof. These garage doors are constructed by the manufacturer to be weather resistant which isn't exactly weather-tight but it should be good enough. They are made to withstand hurricane-force winds.

The building itself will have a sloped roof with the north wall being the high wall and the south wall the low wall, The south wall will be 4' tall and the north wall will be 7' tall.
Reference the pictures below.

Obsy 1.jpg

Obsy 3.jpg

Obsy 4.jpg

Obsy 5.jpg

Obsy 6.jpg

Obsy 7.jpg

The sloped roof design is used to accommodate a winter snow load of approximately 24" to 30" of fresh wet snow. The roof pitch is 16.7 degrees or 3.6 / 12. A removable center support beam running from the north wall center down to the South Wall center will be used to provide extra support for the closed garage door when it is under a snow load.

The observing room will have a fixed pier for my iOptron CEM70 mount. Its location is 45” from the West wall and centered on a line drawn from the North to the South wall. The remaining space will be used for my CPC 1100 to be used for visual work and planetary imaging. All the appropriate trigonometry was used to make sure the roof will close without hitting/touching any of my scopes attached to the CEM70.

The build for this obsy has four main parts: Pouring the footing and pedestal for the pier, pouring the concrete pad for the building (not touching the pedestal), building the observatory structure, and finally, installing the garage door roof. Two separate contractors will be used for the concrete pad and the obsy build. The business building the structure will also install the garage door roof.

Please critique the heck out of this design so that I don't build something that doesn't work down the road. Thank you all for your participation and for helping me construct the best observatory I can.

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: It's Finally Time To Build My Observatory

Post by KathyNS »

Interesting design!

The biggest challenges will involve the orientation of the roll-up door. Since it is designed for vertical installation, and yours will be closer to horizontal than vertical, one thing that comes to mind is drainage. Will water still run off it adequately? Or will tilting it back like that allow water to seep down through joints in the door structure?

You mention snow loading and have a plan to reinforce it with a removable centre beam. While that will cut the span in half, do you know if the door segments will support the snow load at half their span? Obviously you can't ask the manufacturer, since this is an "off-label" use of their gear.

Will the motor be powerful enough? Tilting the door back will mean that the motor is not doing a dead lift as it would in a standard installation. However, it is now fighting friction from the weight of the panels (and snow) on the tracks. That might be enough to actually increase to load on the motor in spite of not having to lift the weight vector. Will you be putting rollers in the tracks to mitigate this load?

I would recommend making the pad an inch smaller than the building's footprint. This will facilitate drainage and will avoid giving rain an opportunity to seep under the walls. Otherwise, you will have to rely on caulking to seal the walls, and caulking always fails eventually.

I wish you good luck with the build. You will likely be doing some original research for it, so I hope you publish your results for the benefit of others contemplating a similar design.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice! And a warm room also!

A couple of guys at my club have some similar but without the warm room.

Keep us abreast on your progress :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

That's exciting!

As Kathy pointed out, my concern even here in California would be that the garage door will not provide the same protection as regular roof from a bad weather. Even if it will hold snow would it provide adequate protection from heavy rain, without leaking over your equipment?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Sounds interesting, you sure get a lot more snow load than me being a couple hundred miles southwest. I never get more than 6 inches.

I did not isolate the pier footer from the slab, just a cubic yard under the pier, with re-bar and j-bolts. Did a test when finished with videocam and barlows for 12000mm efl maybe equivalent to 1000x on a star, and only a noticeable 'bump' if I jumped up and down forcefully, normal walking is unaffected. And in 15 years, no noticeable effect on my imaging.

Just my 2 cents,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JT,

That is awesome!
I can’t help with the observatory design, but I am really excited for you!
Sounds like a dream come true project and I’m really looking forward to seeing your progress reports!
Best of success and have fun!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Cool design! I have no experience with home obsies, but I'd take a close look at the weight of the door and load it will put on the structure if you haven't already. JMO.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Interesting design! I too would be concerned with the operation and soundness of the "roof off" roof.

Wishing you the best, and looking forward to updates!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

JT - good to see you settling in to your new digs. Like some of the others, I am interested to see how that roof works for keeping the rain and melting snow out of the obsy. I am curious about having to support 24-26" of fresh wet snow. Around here if we get that much snow in one shot it will be the dry fluffy kind, it is very rare to get as much as 12" of the wet variety in a single storm.

Maybe investing in a roof rake would be a good idea. Given the low height of the roof it would be pretty easy to just pull the snow off the roof after it lands there. A low-tech solution to the problem can sometimes be used :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Hi @JayTee

I'll be hoping for follow up reports as this design is exciting to me to say the least! It's something I could do with some help! I don't have to worry about snow where I'm at, but we do get a lot of rain and potential for hurricanes. So, like everyone else, I wonder about the garage door panels keeping rain out when it's acting as a roof.

Best of luck and hoping for lots of follow up reports!

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

My questions are going to go in a different direction. What will you use the warm room for? From the look of your design I assume you will link in the computer from the warm room and will mainly need a chair and a desk. I assume this will be in your yard, close to your house.

The reason I ask is that my observatory is at my dark site, three miles from my house. My warm room is 8'X12' with two small lofts. I have bunk beds, small tables, storage, chairs, and heater in there. Once I started storing everything I realized that it was barely big enough. Five feet isn't very wide for table, chair, and equipment storage. The low end will be just high enough for storage trays, but you may have to squeeze around the table a lot. The tall end will be almost like a hallway, since it has two doors in it. If your observatory is just a few steps from the house you might not need much extra room out there.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

jrkirkham wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:43 pm My questions are going to go in a different direction. What will you use the warm room for? From the look of your design I assume you will link in the computer from the warm room and will mainly need a chair and a desk. I assume this will be in your yard, close to your house.

The reason I ask is that my observatory is at my dark site, three miles from my house. My warm room is 8'X12' with two small lofts. I have bunk beds, small tables, storage, chairs, and heater in there. Once I started storing everything I realized that it was barely big enough. Five feet isn't very wide for table, chair, and equipment storage. The low end will be just high enough for storage trays, but you may have to squeeze around the table a lot. The tall end will be almost like a hallway, since it has two doors in it. If your observatory is just a few steps from the house you might not need much extra room out there.
Thinking about that, I would incorporate the same size walls for the warm room, then build a pitched roof so you can stand up at both sides, gives you more room for storage with shelves and such if you wanted to keep it the same basic size. You'd have figure out the height of the eastern wall so it doesn't mess with any of the mounts views to the south though, so it might not be doable... You could also move the pier mount closer to the northern wall to help compensate for the higher wall to the south but that again would affect your other mount. Perhaps a bigger floor plan with the same design specs, four feet to the east and 7 feet to the west with a 7 foot warm room, depending on how tall you are, you could change the warm room height to 6 feet. That would also help with the southern view...
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

I'm curious as to why the building is smaller than the foundation, expanding the size would allow more flexibility in the warm room design.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Will garage doors even roll down when installed on a not steeply sloped roof? Fun idea but I think it will turn out to be a complex solution to a simple problem with unforeseen gotchas. The ripples on a garage door seem perfect for snow to collect and make it collapse or leak. Also, the lower wall is so low that it won't protect against wind. I would just go with a standard solution with like a roll off roof with tall walls or a dome.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Couple of thoughts.

I have a 'weather resistant' garage door with the seals between the joints. While the seals will keep the moisture out in a vertical position, they do NOT extend beyond the edge of the panels so water would collect in the space between the panels and would most likely seep through over time. Also my garage door faces south so I get most of the direct sun exposure. That door gets REALLY hot with the sun hitting it. I'm not sure if insulation would help much, but it's something to consider.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Missed that point, hot in the summer. I also ignored that conventional 'internet' wisdom and insulated mine and added a small A/C. Just enough to keep the inside at nightfall temps and avoid having to cool the scope from 120F to 75F. Plus that seems like too much thermal stress for those expensive optics to go thru every night.

Overly cautious,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

KathyNS wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:38 pm Interesting design!

The biggest challenges will involve the orientation of the roll-up door. Since it is designed for vertical installation, and yours will be closer to horizontal than vertical, one thing that comes to mind is drainage. Will water still run off it adequately? Or will tilting it back like that allow water to seep down through joints in the door structure? I'm told by the door manufacturer that with the side seals included there should be very little leakage from the tracks. Also, the door is one solid sheet of steel, so no joints mean no leaking.

You mention snow loading and have a plan to reinforce it with a removable centre beam. While that will cut the span in half, do you know if the door segments will support the snow load at half their span? Obviously you can't ask the manufacturer, since this is an "off-label" use of their gear. The door is a 26 gauge corrugated curtain manufactured from full hard galvanized grade 80 steel. If my math is correct this should hold a little under 2000 lbs or roughly 24" of fresh snow. The fresh snow up here is usually pretty dry and fluffy. With the center beam installed theoretically, it should hold double that.

Will the motor be powerful enough? Tilting the door back will mean that the motor is not doing a dead lift as it would in a standard installation. However, it is now fighting friction from the weight of the panels (and snow) on the tracks. That might be enough to actually increase to load on the motor in spite of not having to lift the weight vector. Will you be putting rollers in the tracks to mitigate this load? Initially, it will have just a chain hoist to get a feel for how much force is needed. My thinking is that I'm dealing with less force from gravity than if the door were vertical, so hopefully, it won't be as difficult to move. A motor can easily be added later. Since the door is one continuous sheet of steel there are no rollers involved.

I would recommend making the pad an inch smaller than the building's footprint. This will facilitate drainage and will avoid giving rain an opportunity to seep under the walls. Otherwise, you will have to rely on caulking to seal the walls, and caulking always fails eventually. The building is designed to be affixed to the concrete pad and then caulked to seal it, inside and out. It is easier on the builder if the pad is just slightly larger than the building's dimensions.

I wish you good luck with the build. You will likely be doing some original research for it, so I hope you publish your results for the benefit of others contemplating a similar design.
The builder is quite excited about this project because his company has not customized and configured one of their buildings for this purpose.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

jrkirkham wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:43 pm My questions are going to go in a different direction. What will you use the warm room for? From the look of your design I assume you will link in the computer from the warm room and will mainly need a chair and a desk. I assume this will be in your yard, close to your house. All of this is correct. The pad sits about 150' from the main house.

The reason I ask is that my observatory is at my dark site, three miles from my house. My warm room is 8'X12' with two small lofts. I have bunk beds, small tables, storage, chairs, and heater in there. Once I started storing everything I realized that it was barely big enough. Five feet isn't very wide for table, chair, and equipment storage. The low end will be just high enough for storage trays, but you may have to squeeze around the table a lot. The tall end will be almost like a hallway, since it has two doors in it. If your observatory is just a few steps from the house you might not need much extra room out there. Originally, the warm room was only 4' x 10'. I set up a simulation of the space on my garage floor and quickly realized that 4' wide was not enough. 5' is just wide enough for a desk, a chair and a modicum of storage. Every additional foot of building expansion puts the project further and further over budget!

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

chris_g wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:53 pm
jrkirkham wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:43 pm My questions are going to go in a different direction. What will you use the warm room for? From the look of your design I assume you will link in the computer from the warm room and will mainly need a chair and a desk. I assume this will be in your yard, close to your house.

Thinking about that, I would incorporate the same size walls for the warm room, then build a pitched roof so you can stand up at both sides, gives you more room for storage with shelves and such if you wanted to keep it the same basic size. You'd have figure out the height of the eastern wall so it doesn't mess with any of the mounts views to the south though, so it might not be doable... You could also move the pier mount closer to the northern wall to help compensate for the higher wall to the south but that again would affect your other mount. Perhaps a bigger floor plan with the same design specs, four feet to the east and 7 feet to the west with a 7 foot warm room, depending on how tall you are, you could change the warm room height to 6 feet. That would also help with the southern view... Since the obsy is on my main property there is no need for a great deal of storage and a pitched roof does add additional cost. Also, the location of the pedestal within the obsy room is not cast in stone yet. (pun intended). I'm still experimenting with the floor plan layout in my garage to come up with the ideal location for it.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Thank you all for commenting. Some very good ideas were provided.

Wrapping up all your great ideas.
I'm assuming that some sort of custom dam will need to be constructed around the rails (without inhibiting the door's motion) to help make the roof a little more weather tight.
The roof will be painted white to fend off some of the daytime heating.
The reason the pad is 16' x 16' (instead of 11' x 16') is that I have always envisioned having small star parties on-site and that extra 5' of space to the south end of the pad is to be used for telescopes set up outside the obsy. Here is a Google Earth picture of where the pad will sit on my property. The yellow square on the right side of the image is the pad's location. North is at the top of the image. Use this image to get your orientation for the Pano below.
Rimrock Obsy Site.jpg

And here is the full Pano from that site. My best sky (from a light pollution aspect) runs from northwest to south southeast.

NCMR Pano Full with NS.jpg