Question On Size

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Question On Size

Post by Johnny Carter »

I would have thought that I could find the answer to what appears to be a simple question, but it seems I can’t. I have read many articles that state that you can see an object with a medium sized telescope, or a large, sometimes a small. What I am curious about on this is there a set range, and does that range perhaps vary depending on the type of scope? I have seen some pretty big (to me) dobs, but when they say something can be viewed with a large scope, I don’t know if they mean a 16” dob or the Hubble telescope. We do plan to get a refractor at some point so we do a lot of comparisons, we would ideally like to be able to set up 2 scopes with varying objectives, we currently have a 150 Mak, which we have barely got into. Anyway, any advice is appreciated.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Question On Size

Post by Ylem »

It's kinda subjective, are you reading Star Watch?

Light pollution is the biggest issue, so an 8" at a dark site may show similar that a 10 or even a 12 in the suburbs.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Well Johnny, medium amateur scopes usually are in the 6" to 8" range for reflectors, large is around 12" and bigger. But as Jeff says, an 8" or 10" reflector can outperform a 12" or larger scope if dark skies are enjoyed.

Darker skies are a great equalizer. The noted observer James Muirden used a 4" refractor from very dark skies and was able to document all of the Messier objects easily, even the faint galaxies.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Ylem wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:03 pm It's kinda subjective, are you reading Star Watch?

Light pollution is the biggest issue, so an 8" at a dark site may show similar that a 10 or even a 12 in the suburbs.
I’m not sure what Star Watch is but you have given me something to look up. Actually I was looking on Sea and Sky at things that can be seen later this year. I’m definitely not in a dark site at the house but I do a a small place in the Hill Country that is, and I know that the “seeing” is way different. Good thought on that, thanx.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

helicon wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:22 pm Well Johnny, medium amateur scopes usually are in the 6" to 8" range for reflectors, large is around 12" and bigger. But as Jeff says, an 8" or 10" reflector can outperform a 12" or larger scope if dark skies are enjoyed.

Darker skies are a great equalizer. The noted observer James Muirden used a 4" refractor from very dark skies and was able to document all of the Messier objects easily, even the faint galaxies.
Gotcha, that was what I was looking for, just a ballpark figure. I know I am not going to see things like the colorized images I see on here, but if I read about seeing something I would like to have a fair idea if it is obtainable. One ice thing about SynScan Pro is that it gives a magnitude scale on objects it shows, very helpful. Thanx.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Actually I think the book I had in mind was Night Watch, by Phil Harrington I think.

It's a good book, kinda like Left Turn at Orion.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

I like when atlases and guide books split targets into small, medium and large telescope groups. But I read it differently. Small scope targets will be easiest to observe with any scope, so I would start my session with those and then try some for medium scope targets and if successful try some for large scopes.

As already mentioned above sky quality, observer experience and optics quality can swing visibility of targets quit a lot. At my dark location I was catching with 4" APO refractor faint galaxies which I was not able to see from light polluted home location with 8" SCT. However, when I bring both 4" and 8" to the dark location, 8" totally dominates.

If you are thinking of adding another scope to your collection for visual observing you should get the LARGEST scope which YOU can COMFORTABLY use. For me that largest scope is 9.25" SCT for Alan is 17.5" DOB, for Terry 6" Newtonian. This depends on your observing style, personal preferences, need to travel, hike to the observing site, etc.

I would put for consideration 6" fast achro refractor like SkyWatcher 150ST

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startr ... 0-eq5.html

and 8" SCT

https://www.highpointscientific.com/cel ... used-40331
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Bigzmey hits on a very good point, "fast". In AP the faster you gather photons the less likely mistakes can occur. The human eye only gathers light for so long before it sends that info to your brain to recognize what you're seeing.

While large scopes do gather more light but their focal length makes the process "Slow". A f/5 scope will be faster than a f/10. So if we consider the visual astronomer and their eyeball/brain connection a faster scope would benefit, A larger fast scope is great.....

I viewed (but it was difficult) all but 5 Messier objects with a Orion ST-80 refractor. It helped I was doing it from a Bortle 2 (verging on Bortle 1) site. Travel wasn't too bad, right outside my front door! :tease: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I should mention that as we age, our eye rods and cones change too. Young undamaged eyes will see better than ole tired ones.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Thanx all, good info. And about the tired eyes, boy do I know about that. I guess that my scope is bordering on medium where I live, should elevate once I get to the ranch. Like I say, curious, and this all helps.
TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

Using telescopes of larger or smaller aperture doesn't necessarily change whether or not you can see a thing ... but rather how much detail you are likely to see.

My first telescope (90mm) could see that Jupiter had "belts" or "bands" and that Saturn hand "rings". But when I got a larger telescope, I could see that the "belts" had texture (clouds) which wan't evident in the smaller aperture scope. Saturns rings had a gap (Cassini division) that wasn't visible in the smaller scope.

Assuming decent optical quality, a larger scope will reveal more detail than a smaller one. But also consider that larger sometimes (but not always) means a longer focal length -- which translates into viewing a smaller piece of sky. There are many extended objects (e.g. open clusters) that don't look very impressive in long focal-length scopes because you are really only looking at part of the (extended) object -- even when using a low-power eyepiece.

My largest scope (which I have since replaced) was a 14" scope with a focal length of around 3500mm. The double-cluster didn't look very impressive in that scope -- because you could not see both clusters entirely within the field of view at the same time. It was a bit too much. The Andromeda galaxy has an angular width about 6x wider than the moon ... and really looks better in a much shorter focal length scope (say ... a 500mm refractor.)
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Johnny Carter wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:08 am
Ylem wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:03 pm It's kinda subjective, are you reading Star Watch?

I’m not sure what Star Watch is but you have given me something to look up. Actually I was looking on Sea and Sky at things that can be seen later this year. I’m definitely not in a dark site at the house but I do a a small place in the Hill Country that is, and I know that the “seeing” is way different. Good thought on that, thanx.
Hi Andy,

As mentioned skies are really a contributing factor. You can check your Bortle scale for your sites at https://www.lightpollutionmap.info You'll need the GPS coordinates in decimal format. I use the Compass Steel app on my Android to get that for my current location. More information for you to ponder as you research scopes!

Clear Skies,
Chris
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Thanx for that link, looks like I am in a class 4 at the house southwest of Weatherford, my place north of Uvalde is a class 2.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Johnny Carter wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:51 pm Thanx for that link, looks like I am in a class 4 at the house southwest of Weatherford, my place north of Uvalde is a class 2.
Jealous!!!! My horizon challenged yard is 5.
I'll be getting a Celestron C8-A end of the week. I researched this series for quite a while. They start at 6 inch. Good OTA for both visual and AP...

https://www.celestron.com/products/c8-o ... e-dovetail
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Well In RSA in Gauteng . johannesburg is 7 but we have a thing called Load Sheading where power is switched of in certain arear when its mine turn it certainly improves by a huge amount , I could be a 5 or 6 then ? We used to be part owner of a game farm in Laphalale where its 2 fantastic I could honestly see more with a 5 inch SCT than a 10 inch Dobs at home , but its sold now , but we have unlimited access during off hunting period
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Johnny,
Lot's of good advice so far, I'll just add a little to what's already been said. Given a dark sky like your Ulvade property, a good 6" scope and young sensitive eyes can see stars down to somewhere between magnitudes 13 - 13.8. But that is because stars are point sources.

When looking at planets, the diameter is the primary factor that determines resolution.
One criteria is RESOLUTION(arc sec) = 4.5 ÷ Objective diameter (inches)

The quality of the optics and the eyepiece will determine whether you will really be able to achieve or even slightly better theoretical resolution.

Nebulae, galaxies, globular and open clusters all have magnitudes. But they are what are called integrated magnitude. The magnitude is the light from the entire surface of the object integrated as though it was a point source. Through the telescope, you observe surface brightness. A small 11th magnitude galaxy might appear brighter in the scope, than a large 10th magnitude galaxy if the magnification is the same for both objects. The very large Rosette Nebula is slightly easier to spot in my 63mm binos than in my 18" reflector.

So it gets difficult to give you a definitive rule of thumb for visibility of deep sky objects. However with time and experience, I have got to the point where I look at the listed magnitude of a deep sky and it's diameter, and I have a bit of an idea whether a particular scope will be able to see it. Yes all the Messier objects were visible in a 4" scope, some will be very faint and indistinct.

An 8" scope is probably the best compromise between good light gathering ability and ease of portability. Deep sky objects really start to pop in 10-12" aperture scopes and in anything bigger deep sky objects are a pure joy to behold. However with each 2 inch jump in aperture 12, 14, 16, 18 involves a large increase in weight, rapid decrease in portability and only small jumps in light gathering. Some designs increase in weight more than others.
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 7.40.20 pm.png
I love using my 18", in my backyard at Bortle 2. I don't take it to star parties. If I lived in the city, I'd do better with a portable 10"-12" scope that I could take to dark skies.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)