Second session, new addition

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Second session, new addition

Post by Johnny Carter »

Hello all, Emma and I were able to take out the Mak 150 last night for a little bit before the clouds rolled in from the east, our second venture out with it. One thing we did change after reader comments on here was that we bought a Telrad. Mounting and syncing was a breeze, and it made aligning so much easier. We both have medical issues, so handling a scope is not as easy for us, but this Telrad helped. We are surrounded by trees, so viewing is a challenge for us at home, and no planets in the evening, but we did start looking for double-stars, and believe we found a few. This Orion 150 Mak seems nice to us. Clear skies all.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Second session, new addition

Post by turboscrew »

There are also star clusters, that might be fun to look at. Many of them are easier to find than nebulae and galaxies.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice and a good enhancement with the Telrad.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

turboscrew wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:55 pm There are also star clusters, that might be fun to look at. Many of them are easier to find than nebulae and galaxies.
Thanx, I will definitely keep those in mind!
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Johnny. A great second outing report. It is hard to beat a good finder scope to make targeting easier. And, don't forget to observe the moon when you get a chance. The surface views with it's long focal length Mak-Cass are astounding. Also, the total lunar eclipse (Blood Moon and also called the Copper Moon) occurs tonight. Thanks for your report Johnny and the best of wishes to you and to Emma for many enjoyable astronomy observing sessions.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Johnny Carter wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:03 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:55 pm There are also star clusters, that might be fun to look at. Many of them are easier to find than nebulae and galaxies.
Thanx, I will definitely keep those in mind!
Maybe you could see M44 (Cnc) or M13 (Her) to start with? M13 shouldn't be too hard to find.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the second session Johnny! Once the Moon moves away it will be easier to find targets.

It is good time to add your equipment to the signature. This way it will be easier for us to advise.

I assume your scope came with 1.25" diagonal and 23mm and 10mm EPs. In this case I would recommend to get a good quality 32mm Plossl. It will help to fit larger targets into scope's FOV.

https://agenaastro.com/gso-32mm-plossl-eyepiece.html
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:02 pm Congrats on the second session Johnny! Once the Moon moves away it will be easier to find targets.

It is good time to add your equipment to the signature. This way it will be easier for us to advise.

I assume your scope came with 1.25" diagonal and 23mm and 10mm EPs. In this case I would recommend to get a good quality 32mm Plossl. It will help to fit larger targets into scope's FOV.

Thanx, I will add that to my profile, and will sure look at that lens. We have looked at getting a 2” diagonal, thinking the wider lenses might be more effective at 2”, but I still have a lot of things I need to learn, LOL. I do understand that the wider lenses allow us to see DSO’s in their entirety much better.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Johnny Carter wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:32 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:02 pm Congrats on the second session Johnny! Once the Moon moves away it will be easier to find targets.

Thanx, I will add that to my profile, and will sure look at that lens. We have looked at getting a 2” diagonal, thinking the wider lenses might be more effective at 2”, but I still have a lot of things I need to learn, LOL. I do understand that the wider lenses allow us to see DSO’s in their entirety much better.
Note, that 2" eye piece selection is quite limited. Most of your eye pieces will still be 1.25".
I've been thinking of getting 32 mm Meade super plössl 1.25" for the Omegon. It'd get me about 2.5° TFOV.
Not good for VX12, because the exit pupil would be 8 mm. My pupil doesn't, probably, get bigger than 5.5 mm.
2" diagonal for Omegon is in my plans too. Maybe 21 mm Omegon Panorama II to go with it. :)
- Juha

Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

turboscrew wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:01 pm

Note, that 2" eye piece selection is quite limited. Most of your eye pieces will still be 1.25".
I've been thinking of getting 32 mm Meade super plössl 1.25" for the Omegon. It'd get me about 2.5° TFOV.
Not good for VX12, because the exit pupil would be 8 mm. My pupil doesn't, probably, get bigger than 5.5 mm.
2" diagonal for Omegon is in my plans too. Maybe 21 mm Omegon Panorama II to go with it. :)
I know I have a lot to learn on these, I had assumed that the wider eyepiece had to be a 2”, I followed the link to Agena after the post and saw they had plenty of wide angle in the 1.25 variety. I have also been looking at refractors, which is where I keep thinking about 2” eyepieces, it will be a little while on that.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Johnny Carter wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:10 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:01 pm

I know I have a lot to learn on these, I had assumed that the wider eyepiece had to be a 2”, I followed the link to Agena after the post and saw they had plenty of wide angle in the 1.25 variety. I have also been looking at refractors, which is where I keep thinking about 2” eyepieces, it will be a little while on that.
Maks can definitely benefit from 2" EPs which provide wider views than 1.25". However, you would need to get 2" diagonal and 2" visual back (unless your Mak already comes with 2" visual back). I feel that at this point it is better to get 32mm Plossl which would provide widest view possible in 1.25" format and would not break your wallet. Once you gain more observing experience you can decide if you want to upgrade to 2".

If you rush into buying 2" staff you may end up with cheapish equipment and outgrow it fast. 1.25" 32mm Plossl is a safe buy. I am still using mine after so many EPs came and went.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

Thanx all for some really good advice. I generally just comment on the pictures and read everything I can absorb about the mechanic, very glad I got into these conversations. And yes, saving money is always a good thing.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

You might also want to take a peek into eye piece set selection articles in eyepieces-subforum, and decide a long term plan of which eye pieces to get.
- Juha