NoiseXTerminator vs MureDenoise

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

NoiseXTerminator vs MureDenoise

Post by STEVE333 »

This is a comparison of NoiseXTerminator (NXT) vs MureDenoise in PixInsight. Because I'm doing NB imaging all of my images are monochrome. I haven't tried it with color images.

I have been using MureDenoise for some time now to perform noise reduction for my linear images because it does a better job of noise reduction than I can do any other way. Now I want to test NXT.

The pictures below show a comparison between the two approaches for a linear image for both unstructured background and for target details. I used NXT with Denoise = 0.90 and Detail = 0.15, the default settings.

The pictures on the left show a zoomed in view of the original stacked image.
The middle pictures show the MureDenoise processed images.
The rightmost pictures show the NXT processed images.

UNSTRUCTURED BACKGROUND
Background Comparison.jpg

DETAILS
Detail Comparison.jpg

I have found NoiseXTerminator (NXT) to be far superior to MureDenoise:
  • Visually the NXT processed images are much less noisey than the MureDenoise processed images.
  • Many of my stacked images have significant noise but NXT has been able to smooth it out every time.
  • NXT runs faster than MureDenoise.
  • NXT has not left any artifacts (cross-hatched regions) as MureDenoise sometimes does.
  • NXT has also done a fine job or retaining the details.
  • NXT seems to sharpen the stars a little.
  • The amount of noise reduction can be adjusted with NXT, not true with MureDenoise. Very helpful!! The picture below shows examples of two NXT noise reduction levels. The image on the left is the original image. The middle image has Denoise = 70 and the rightmost image has the default setting of Denoise = 90.
Denoise Comparison.jpg

I used NXT on my recent mosaic and was completely satisfied in all aspects. It has made my processing task much easier.

Hope this is useful. I'll be glad to answer any questions if I can.

Steve
Last edited by STEVE333 on Sun May 15, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: NoiseXTerminator vs MureDenoise

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice comparison Steve. Thanks for taking the time to compare denoise methods.

I have worked a bit more with NXT and have had excellent results with both linear and non-linear images.

I also own Topaz DeNoise AI and find that NoiseXTernminator is a much easier tool to work with. The Topaz product does produce a fine job, but will produce artifacts if the settings and Models are not carefully adjusted and monitored.

This isn't the best example of NXT, but I just opened up an image of the Leo Triplet and tightly cropped the Hamburger Galaxy (NGC 3628) where I had over processed the image with Topaz Denoise. The detail is overly sharp and the Topaz application created grainy artifacts in both ends of the Hamburger. NXT with default settings cleaned up the artifacts that the Topaz product left and left the overly sharpened central details untouched. Impressive!

Capture.PNG

NoiseXTerminator and StarXterminator (I have both) are both excellent products and I am very happy to have them in my toolbox. Thanks again Steve!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Thanks for the comparison, Steve. I like the way NXT protects the details. To my eye it actually enhances detail while doing a better job of noise reduction. I'm going to be trying out the Windows PhotoShop version soon.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:48 am Very nice comparison Steve. Thanks for taking the time to compare denoise methods.

I have worked a bit more with NXT and have had excellent results with both linear and non-linear images.

I also own Topaz DeNoise AI and find that NoiseXTernminator is a much easier tool to work with. The Topaz product does produce a fine job, but will produce artifacts if the settings and Models are not carefully adjusted and monitored.

This isn't the best example of NXT, but I just opened up an image of the Leo Triplet and tightly cropped the Hamburger Galaxy (NGC 3628) where I had over processed the image with Topaz Denoise. The detail is overly sharp and the Topaz application created grainy artifacts in both ends of the Hamburger. NXT with default settings cleaned up the artifacts that the Topaz product left and left the overly sharpened central details untouched. Impressive!

Capture.PNG

NoiseXTerminator and StarXterminator (I have both) are both excellent products and I am very happy to have them in my toolbox. Thanks again Steve!
You're welcome Jim - I like your comparison showing how NXT removed the grainy artifacts. Seems to be an easy choice?

bobharmony wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:29 pm Thanks for the comparison, Steve. I like the way NXT protects the details. To my eye it actually enhances detail while doing a better job of noise reduction. I'm going to be trying out the Windows PhotoShop version soon.

Bob
I agree Bob. Good luck.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:48 am Very nice comparison Steve. Thanks for taking the time to compare denoise methods.

You're welcome Jim - I like your comparison showing how NXT removed the grainy artifacts. Seems to be an easy choice?

bobharmony wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:29 pm Thanks for the comparison, Steve. I like the way NXT protects the details. To my eye it actually enhances detail while doing a better job of noise reduction. I'm going to be trying out the Windows PhotoShop version soon.

Bob
I agree Bob. Good luck.

By the way I also like how the amount of noise reduction can be adjusted in NXT by adjusting the Denoise parameter. No such adjustment in MureDenoise.

Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:46 pm Seems to be an easy choice?

Yes. I own it now. I have StarXTerminator already, so it was $39 instead of $59.

BTW, I don't know if you ever tried SXT, but I have found it to slightly edge out Starnet2 in many cases. Cleaner star removal. Not in every image, but most. Just my experience. Thanks Steve.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:55 pm

Yes. I own it now. I have StarXTerminator already, so it was $39 instead of $59.

BTW, I don't know if you ever tried SXT, but I have found it to slightly edge out Starnet2 in many cases. Cleaner star removal. Not in every image, but most. Just my experience. Thanks Steve.

Thanks Jim.

When making my recent mosaic Starnet2 didn't remove about 5 medium sized stars from one of the images! It's the first time I've ruin into that, but, it was very annoying! I had to use an alternate approach because I was going to need ALL the stars later to reinsert them at the end. I'm going to give StarXTerminator a try to see how it works on that same image.

That's a nice bonus getting $20 off when purchasing both XT programs.

Steve
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

STEVE333 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:32 am
I have found NoiseXTerminator (NXT) to be far superior to MureDenoise:
  • Visually the NXT processed images are much less noisey than the MureDenoise processed images.
I have been experimenting with NoiseXTerminator as well, and like you, have found it to be excellent. A few more processing runs while I have the 30 day trial to test it out more, but it looks like this is a purchase I'm willing to make.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:55 pm

Yeah, I've tried SXT during the trial period but I found, in my cases, that it didn't offer much above what StarNet2 was doing for no cost. So I decided not to purchase SXT.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

I just purchased NoiseXTerminator and have downloaded the StarXTerminator free trial.

I used StarXTerminator on an image where Starnet2 left 4 or 5 medium bright stars. StarXTerminator worked perfectly. Very encouraging.

Steve
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

XCalRocketMan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:18 pm

Yeah, I've tried SXT during the trial period but I found, in my cases, that it didn't offer much above what StarNet2 was doing for no cost. So I decided not to purchase SXT.

Hi Michael,

I had already purchased SXT before Starnet2 was released. Starnet 2 was very much superior to Starnet++. When Starnet2 was released, it was superior to SXT until RC Astro released the latest version of STX. The latest version works better for me than Starnet2 in most (not all) cases as far as leaving residuals. Since I have both, I usually try a run of each and compare, then go with the cleanest starless version (and so far, it has been the SXT version for me).

Thanks!
Jim

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:53 pm
XCalRocketMan wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:18 pm

Hi Michael,

I had already purchased SXT before Starnet2 was released. Starnet 2 was very much superior to Starnet++. When Starnet2 was released, it was superior to SXT until RC Astro released the latest version of STX. The latest version works better for me than Starnet2 in most (not all) cases as far as leaving residuals. Since I have both, I usually try a run of each and compare, then go with the cleanest starless version (and so far, it has been the SXT version for me).

Thanks!
Well that's good to hear. Not sure if I'm ready to purchase both, but NXT is first up :)
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thats a very valuable assessment and write up Steve, thanks. I fully agree that NX does an excellent job - both on the noise but also on improving detail and even sharpening the stars a little.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/