Let's see your reports!
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Observing Report for 24 April 2022 - a second night in the saddle

Post by Kanadalainen »

kt4hx wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:23 pm The second night of our stay at the dark site house held the promise of average to above average transparency, with average seeing – always a fine combination. After having slept well the night before after my first session, and doing some work outdoors on the property during the day I relaxed for a while before moving the gear back out of the garage. I got started again after 2130 hours and planned to go until around midnight or a little after. The air was nice out as the high temperature for the day was around 78° F (25.5° C) and it was pleasant enough early on to observe in a t-shirt and sweat pants. Only later on did I slip on a light jacket as the air cooled a little at our nearly 2,800 ft (~853 m) altitude.
Its been a while Alan, but I can see that your intensity and passion has not waned. In fact I think its increased. Great haul of galaxies. 8-) :D
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:24 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:10 am ...but I am not a slave to things like the Herschel lists...
I resent that! :D

:lol: Yeah, yeah I know you like working the Herschel list! Not a thing wrong with that Andrey. I guess I buck the normal trend. There is sort of a method to my madness, though not everyone may see it like I do. :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Kanadalainen wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:28 am
kt4hx wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:23 pm The second night of our stay at the dark site house held the promise of average to above average transparency, with average seeing – always a fine combination. After having slept well the night before after my first session, and doing some work outdoors on the property during the day I relaxed for a while before moving the gear back out of the garage. I got started again after 2130 hours and planned to go until around midnight or a little after. The air was nice out as the high temperature for the day was around 78° F (25.5° C) and it was pleasant enough early on to observe in a t-shirt and sweat pants. Only later on did I slip on a light jacket as the air cooled a little at our nearly 2,800 ft (~853 m) altitude.
Its been a while Alan, but I can see that your intensity and passion has not waned. In fact I think its increased. Great haul of galaxies. 8-) :D

Hi Ian, very glad to see you stopping by. We miss you and your reporting. Anyway, thanks for your comments. Yeah, I am still plugging away. I went through a down time between Feb and April due to some health issues and sort of general apathy about the hobby. But I've come out on the other end of that now and picking up where I left off. You know me, a galaxy junkie! :lol:
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

kt4hx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:34 am

Hi Ian, very glad to see you stopping by. We miss you and your reporting. Anyway, thanks for your comments. Yeah, I am still plugging away. I went through a down time between Feb and April due to some health issues and sort of general apathy about the hobby. But I've come out on the other end of that now and picking up where I left off. You know me, a galaxy junkie! :lol:

Thanks Alan - I think your reports are among the most comprehensive and painstaking I have seen.. :D
Kind regards,
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Kanadalainen wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:16 am

Thanks Alan - I think your reports are among the most comprehensive and painstaking I have seen.. :D
Kind regards,

Thank you for your kind words Ian. I hope things are well up there for you and the family and you can stop by more frequently. :)
Alan

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Congrats on your VROD selection!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

kt4hx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:57 am

Kind regards,

Thank you for your kind words Ian. I hope things are well up there for you and the family and you can stop by more frequently. :)

I definitely will, Alan.

Perhaps you recall this annotation from a few years back? You annotated one of my widefield images of virgo et al and I saved it. :D You may need to bump your contrast to see all the annotations.
Alan's annotated galaxy rich region in Virgo - Copy.jpg
Ian

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Kanadalainen wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:54 pm
kt4hx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:57 am

Kind regards,

I definitely will, Alan.

Perhaps you recall this annotation from a few years back? You annotated one of my widefield images of virgo et al and I saved it. :D You may need to bump your contrast to see all the annotations.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that! I haven't done that with an image for a while now. I always found it relaxing and enjoyable to search for galaxies in someone's images. Sort of like indoor galaxy hunting to keep my eyes in proper working order! :) I see I labeled the "galaxterism" I like to call The Face as well! Thanks for posting that!
Alan