NGC 1300

Post your Remote Telescope images here and join in the discussion.
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

NGC 1300

Post by Jockinireland »

NGC 1300 is a beautiful barred spiral galaxy in Eridanus. This image was produced using data captured through telescope Live with a Planewave CDK24 and a FLI ProLine PL9000

It amounts to under 3 hours of data in RGB. Processed by myself in Pixinsigh with a few finishing touched on Photoshop.
Recomb_Fin_Fs_PSf.jpg
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: NGC 1300

Post by Juno16 »

That is a beautiful process David!

As soon as I saw this image, I thought to myself man I have got to image that beautiful galaxy!

As I read on, for just a brief second I thought you had acquired a Planewave! Wow, good for you!

Well, the next best thing for sure. It’s really cool to have the ability to capture data with a remote scope.

Comparatively, what is it like processing this type of high quality data compared to processing your own data?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Juno16 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:31 am That is a beautiful process David!

As soon as I saw this image, I thought to myself man I have got to image that beautiful galaxy!

As I read on, for just a brief second I thought you had acquired a Planewave! Wow, good for you!

Well, the next best thing for sure. It’s really cool to have the ability to capture data with a remote scope.

Comparatively, what is it like processing this type of high quality data compared to processing your own data?
Hi Jim -thanks for that. A Plancewave - oh I wish!! :lol: I dream of winning the lottery then having a stable of rigs, including long FL Planewaves and shorter FL Taks placed at dark sky remote facilities around the world. But its going to need to be a BIG win. And considering I never do the lottery......

Yes its a real beauty of a galaxy but too low for me - never reaches 20 degree alt unfortunately.

If I'm really honest, the data from TL is often not as good as one would expect. Because the cameras are CCD, there are often hot/cold columns that you need to deal with. Its not difficult to do but is a pain. What you get is calibrated subs. I think that the calibration is done automatically which can sometimes mean that the calibrations are not as good as they could be. If it was me calibrating my own data I'd go back, tweak some settings and redo. You cant easily do this with TL data. An example is that on one set of frames in this image, the calibration had not removed all the hot pixels I did not find that out until I tried to register and this set was failing. So back to Cosmetic Correction to remove them. It worked, but again you'd expect better.

Then, even though these are FLI cameras, they are CCD and frankly, my 2600mc is less noisy and more sensitive (at least to my eye). Also they are all 9 microm pixels which, when you use one of the smaller FL scopes ends up pretty heavily oversampled. Which rather negates the good seeing of their locations.

Lastly, because of the costs, you tend not to take as many frames - this was 12 X 300s per channel - so 3 hours total. Then, because you are stacking such a low number of subs it can be difficult to remove satellite trails (at least it is for me - I'm sure someone more skilled could do it). I lost a sub from each set for either this type of thing or for trailed jumped stars. Which when you only have 12 in a set hurts some.

Once you have your integration, I'd not say its any easier or harder than doing my own data.

So overall, the data is ok but not outstanding.

But its nice to have some data to work on, particularly of targets that I could not get, even if the sky was ever clear.

If you'd like to have a play with with some data from them let me know. I had intended to put the data for the witch head (posted lower down in this forum) into the monthly challenge but when I checked with TL they said "no - not allowed". Seemed a bit daft to me because that set is actually really nice. But there you go!

Take care

David.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Jockinireland wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:15 pm
Juno16 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:31 am That is a beautiful process David!

Hi Jim -thanks for that. A Plancewave - oh I wish!! :lol: I dream of winning the lottery then having a stable of rigs, including long FL Planewaves and shorter FL Taks placed at dark sky remote facilities around the world. But its going to need to be a BIG win. And considering I never do the lottery......

Yes its a real beauty of a galaxy but too low for me - never reaches 20 degree alt unfortunately.

If I'm really honest, the data from TL is often not as good as one would expect. Because the cameras are CCD, there are often hot/cold columns that you need to deal with. Its not difficult to do but is a pain. What you get is calibrated subs. I think that the calibration is done automatically which can sometimes mean that the calibrations are not as good as they could be. If it was me calibrating my own data I'd go back, tweak some settings and redo. You cant easily do this with TL data. An example is that on one set of frames in this image, the calibration had not removed all the hot pixels I did not find that out until I tried to register and this set was failing. So back to Cosmetic Correction to remove them. It worked, but again you'd expect better.

Then, even though these are FLI cameras, they are CCD and frankly, my 2600mc is less noisy and more sensitive (at least to my eye). Also they are all 9 microm pixels which, when you use one of the smaller FL scopes ends up pretty heavily oversampled. Which rather negates the good seeing of their locations.

Lastly, because of the costs, you tend not to take as many frames - this was 12 X 300s per channel - so 3 hours total. Then, because you are stacking such a low number of subs it can be difficult to remove satellite trails (at least it is for me - I'm sure someone more skilled could do it). I lost a sub from each set for either this type of thing or for trailed jumped stars. Which when you only have 12 in a set hurts some.

Once you have your integration, I'd not say its any easier or harder than doing my own data.

So overall, the data is ok but not outstanding.

But its nice to have some data to work on, particularly of targets that I could not get, even if the sky was ever clear.

If you'd like to have a play with with some data from them let me know. I had intended to put the data for the witch head (posted lower down in this forum) into the monthly challenge but when I checked with TL they said "no - not allowed". Seemed a bit daft to me because that set is actually really nice. But there you go!

Take care

David.

Thank you for your nice details on using the TL service David.

Maybe something to think about some day, maybe.

I have more limited dark skies this time of year, but not like lots of folks. I can get some imaging done when the weather is clear (rain right now).

The neat thing about using a remote service would be to capture data from a target that I can’t capture from home (like you did).

Thanks for the info and thanks for sharing the beautiful image!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

A beautiful capture David. I have been wanting to image this galaxy for three years. It was the whole reason why I bought my 6RC.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."