Looking to buy a new scope, opinions very welcome :)

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

Re: Looking to buy a new scope, opinions very welcome :)

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I am not saying not to buy a 150 mm f/8 but most people that have not seen one before really underestimate the size and bulk of these setups.
I have had at least 1 of these continuously since 2004 and I absolutely love them.
IMG_2721.jpg
Any online images that you see with the rings centered on the tube are lying to you! The balance is about where I placed the red lines.
Workable with a EQ mount, not helpful using a Az/ Alt mount.

To get the balance where it is in the image I got rid of the factory dewshield, changed to a heavier focuser, heavier finderscope, heavier 2" diagonal, made a 3.6 kg internal counterweight placed in front of the focuser and if you look close you can just see the .5 kg brass 2"-1.25" eyepiece adapter in the drawtube.
As it sits in that image total weight is 45 kg
IMG_2735.jpg
A size comparison with a 80 mm f/7 while I wait for Jupiter to clear the mountain.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

The balance issue applies to 150mm F5 version as well. To address it I have also replaced factory metal dew shield with one I made from craft foam and use heavy Baader 2" diagonal with 2" filter wheel. This brings the balance point closer to the OTA middle.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

The objective lens itself seems quite heavy:
https://www.astroshop.eu/lenses/ts-opti ... r_1_select
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

West83 Slovenia
Moon Ambassador

Post by West83 »

Love the observing site @Lady Fraktor :)

So in terms of size, I am well aware of what to expect. I have to say that I was wondering about the iOptron mount and was searching for an extension pillar, but as @Bigzmey noticed, there doesn't seem to be one available for the mount in question.

Pros for the mount:
- great payload capacity
- alignment is extremely friendly
- onboard battery

This doesn't seem to be the case with many EQ mounts, except iOptron ones, which tend to be more expensive. But when adding more €€ I would be inclined to go for the tripier version.

I do appreciate that you have way more experience than me, and if you say that AZ mount can be a pain in the back (literally) with f8 150 frac, I will take your word for it. So it's back to the drawing board for me.
The more I read about it, the more certain I am that I would rather add the € and go for the ED version. But this will have to be something for next year or year after. Since I would be looking at 4k€ for the scope and the mount (if prices don't rise). This scope would get a lot of use with solar system objects, and as such that added color correction will likely be worth it (that's unless someone has experience with the Semi-APO or Fringe killer filters, that might tip the scale).

Which takes me back to the dobson. I have read a great deal of reviews and experiences from people, and despite it's shortcomings (I don't like the truss tube as well), the SW 250 seems to be a good scope (unless you get the odd poor specimen). Why am I looking at this particular scope is mainly because of the goto, which in my case will be used mainly for tracking. I know it's a lot to add for the tracking, but I often observe with company, and since getting the AZ GTi, the sessions have become much more fun mainly due to tracking. We can both observe for prolonged periods of time and switch places, while the target is in sight. It's indeed priceless compared to the slow-mo (which isn't bad at all). And with dob, nudging does seem to be off-putting for me.

Only concern are:
- the reported balance issues, that would warrant some extra counterweights on the mirror side. Another optional (required actually) is the shroud, which can be DIY I guess, and the battery pack.
- the relatively fast ratio of 4.7 (not sure why many state it's 5, but none the less) and the need for coma corrector or really expensive EPs. But I think I can overcome that in a matter of a few months, and budget for at least 1 high end, or 2-3 mid tier (Morpheus, ES) EPs.
Telescope Celestron Astromaster 130 - 130mm f/5 Reflector | Celestron FS80 - 80mm f/11.3 Refractor | TS Photoline 102mm f/7
Mounts SW AZ GTI
Binoviewer MaxBright II
Barlow Baader Q-Barlow 2.25x / 1.3x
Eyepieces Baader Classic Orthos 6mm, 10mm, 18mm | Baader Classic Plössl 32mm | Maxvision 24 mm 68°| BST 5mm
Filters Baader Neodymium (Moon & Skyglow) | Astronomik UHC
--------------------------------
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Let me show my setup: 300 mm F/4 OrionOptics VX12 + CEM120 on tri-pier360.
It should be quite OK on tri-pier too, even for astrophotography, if there's no wind. The tri-pier is just, maybe 20 cm shorter in height and 8 kg lighter (I recall).

The CEM120 weights 27 kg, the counterweights are 10 kg each and the tube weights 15 kg = 62 kg on the tri-pier360.
The old sneaker is a counterweight to the finder. The whole wiights 81 kg (73 if I used tri-pier instead of tri-pier360).
IMG_0756.JPG
Last edited by turboscrew on Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I had both your scopes the Astromaster 130 which I found undermounted and a pain to use due to the finder (which I changed) I think its a CG3 mount and the SW GTI which is similar to a Celestron SLT but with a 80mm F11 refractor on its limits, I changed the OTA to a 5 inch SCT what a great combo .
So unless you take both scopes apart and store then a 10 or 8 inch dobs does not take up more space , they store vertically not taking up much space .
A 150 F8 Refractor is a beast , I never had one but almost purchased one , one need to do some gym work to use these with the mount & tripod in place
Regarding GO TO scopes , if you learn the hobby there is no need for that , unless you do AP and most phone apps work well
Good Luck
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Richard wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:44 pm I had both your scopes the Astromaster 130 which I found undermounted and a pain to use due to the finder (which I changed) I think its a CG3 mount and the SW GTI which is similar to a Celestron SLT but with a 80mm F11 refractor on its limits, I changed the OTA to a 5 inch SCT what a great combo .
So unless you take both scopes apart and store then a 10 or 8 inch dobs does not take up more space , they store vertically not taking up much space .
A 150 F8 Refractor is a beast , I never had one but almost purchased one , one need to do some gym work to use these with the mount & tripod in place
Regarding GO TO scopes , if you learn the hobby there is no need for that , unless you do AP and most phone apps work well
Good Luck
Goto and tracking just don't save you from the field rotation if alt-az mount is used.
- Juha

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

turboscrew wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:57 pm Goto and tracking just don't save you from the field rotation if alt-az mount is used.
This is only a concern if you are imaging, visually it makes no difference.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:14 pm
turboscrew wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:57 pm Goto and tracking just don't save you from the field rotation if alt-az mount is used.
This is only a concern if you are imaging, visually it makes no difference.
I think I saw a hit about AP somewhere...
- Juha

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

West83 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:43 am Which takes me back to the dobson. I have read a great deal of reviews and experiences from people, and despite it's shortcomings (I don't like the truss tube as well), the SW 250 seems to be a good scope (unless you get the odd poor specimen). Why am I looking at this particular scope is mainly because of the goto, which in my case will be used mainly for tracking. I know it's a lot to add for the tracking, but I often observe with company, and since getting the AZ GTi, the sessions have become much more fun mainly due to tracking. We can both observe for prolonged periods of time and switch places, while the target is in sight. It's indeed priceless compared to the slow-mo (which isn't bad at all). And with dob, nudging does seem to be off-putting for me.

Only concern are:
- the reported balance issues, that would warrant some extra counterweights on the mirror side. Another optional (required actually) is the shroud, which can be DIY I guess, and the battery pack.
- the relatively fast ratio of 4.7 (not sure why many state it's 5, but none the less) and the need for coma corrector or really expensive EPs. But I think I can overcome that in a matter of a few months, and budget for at least 1 high end, or 2-3 mid tier (Morpheus, ES) EPs.
Over the years I saw most scope and mount designs in action. Except collapsible mass produced GoTo DOBs. I would not hesitate to recommend solid tube manual DOB, or premium collapsible DOB. From engineering point of view it is challenging to achieve accurate GoTo and tracking in a large DOB. I feel that they are cutting a few corners in the design to be able to offer them at that price point. That makes me worry about longevity and usability of that product. In general many large DOBs end up unused in the closets because the owners discovered that they are too large, too heavy or too difficult to deploy and use. They are also hard to re-sell.

Generally speaking most of scope designs if well executed can deliver quality views. All of them have strengths and weaknesses.

Owners of refractors and Maks seems to be the most satisfied group. Vast majority seems to like those designs and if you one of the a few which left unsatisfied they are very easy to re-sell. While you can use these designs for DSOs, their main strength is in high power viewing of planets, lunar and double stars. Except fast achro fracs. Planets are not their strength, but they are great for wide low power views of extended nebulae and clusters.

Opinions on DOBs and SCTs are split. You can see many heated discussions on pross and cons of those designs. However, most serious DSO observers end up with either one of those. If you buy one and discover that you don't like it (happened to me to :)) it is quite easy to re-sell SCT, but difficult to re-sell large DOB.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
West83 Slovenia
Moon Ambassador

Post by West83 »

Honestly I hear you, and for all intents and purposes, an 8" sct would tick all the boxes, especially with a focal reducer (hope I understood right that it's a good thing for visual).

Unfortunately with my budget of 1500€ (could squeeze it to 1700) I just can't find one. The 6" seems to be too small for a serious upgrade and I feel like it would be a waste.

Sadly in Slovenia the used market is almost non-existent.. this is what I am dealing with, only scope that is on sale that is not a 3" frac or 4.5" newt is this on the image.

When I compare it with astrobuy and sell that exists in the Uk, i get a a few molecules of water around my eyes :(
Attachments
Screenshot_20220610-205647_Samsung Internet.jpg
Telescope Celestron Astromaster 130 - 130mm f/5 Reflector | Celestron FS80 - 80mm f/11.3 Refractor | TS Photoline 102mm f/7
Mounts SW AZ GTI
Binoviewer MaxBright II
Eyepieces Baader Classic Orthos 6mm, 10mm, 18mm | Baader Classic Plössl 32mm | Maxvision 24 mm 68°| BST 5mm

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

West83 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:01 pm Honestly I hear you, and for all intents and purposes, an 8" sct would tick all the boxes, especially with a focal reducer (hope I understood right that it's a good thing for visual).

Unfortunately with my budget of 1500€ (could squeeze it to 1700) I just can't find one. The 6" seems to be too small for a serious upgrade and I feel like it would be a waste.

Sadly in Slovenia the used market is almost non-existent.. this is what I am dealing with, only scope that is on sale that is not a 3" frac or 4.5" newt is this on the image.

When I compare it with astrobuy and sell that exists in the Uk, i get a a few molecules of water around my eyes :(
Yes, 0.63 focal reducer works fine for visual with SCTs. I hear you to, but 1500€ are a lot of money and we want to make sure you spend it well. :)

I would advise to take 150mm F8 off the list at least for now. It is a good scope but it will require heavy duty mount which could easily run 3000€.

If you have reliable references that SW flextube DOB would do the job and you prepared to handle the size, weight and collimation and invest in at least ES 68/82/100 deg EPs. Morpheus don't work well in DOBs... Sorry, I still can't advise going that route. :lol:

In your situation I would get iOptron AZMP for now and use with the scopes you have, and accumulate funds to get 8" SCT in future. But this is my take. Your mileage may vary.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

West83 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:01 pm Honestly I hear you, and for all intents and purposes, an 8" sct would tick all the boxes, especially with a focal reducer (hope I understood right that it's a good thing for visual).

I guess you'd better off checking the options in EU-region like: https://www.astroshop.eu/
Or secondhand: https://www.teleskop-spezialisten.de/sh ... a8c93a3f76
Also teleskop-Express may have something: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/in ... ffers.html
- Juha

West83 Slovenia
Moon Ambassador

Post by West83 »

Ok, so after lots of reading, I think I narrowed it down to the 8" SCT.

Apparently it is most suited to my needs and is portable enough to become the main scope. Apparently the focal reducer will help with DSOs, and is binoviewer friendly :)
So if things I read are correct, the Celestrons 8" SCTs are all the same, apart from the EDGE version. Because it's interesting to see different prices for different bundles (noticed the same with 6" version).

I understand that Nexstar 8SE has a borderline criminal mount, but read a lot of what people said and I think by paying not much over the price of the OTA, I can get this version and use it for the foreseeable future until I get the better mount.
So there it is, after a lot of thought I am excited to have finally set my sights on the Nexstar 8SE. The price hikes will apparently continue, so better to buy one now rather than wait longer.

The question that follows is, which EPs are best for this particular scope/aperture? As you might notice in my signature, I have a few already, but trying to figure what should be next on my purchasing list, to get the best experience possible.

I will mount a Telrad on, so finder is checked. I have a 1.25" diagonal that I purchased for my frac (I am guessing that will fit out of the box?), and a 12v powerbank that I bought for the AZGTi.

Things that I am considering, order of purchase will be based on the impact/price/necessity:
- Dew shield (found Astroessentials and Astrozap, likely both will have similar quality/usability).
- Reducer
- Binoviewer (ordered the Maxbright II, so that's covered when it arrives)
- Prism if needed and recommended (relying on your advice here)
- likely 1 or 2 EPs (mid to high range, to be bought over the next months)

What's up with baader clicklock, noticed lot's of people are using it on SCTs, any advice on this?

Am I missing something, will be thankful for any advice recommendations!

Best
Mounts SW AZ GTI
Binoviewer MaxBright II
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The clicklock is a excellent piece of kit and allows eyepieces/ diagonals to be installed or removed quickly and holds them in place tightly, recommended.
For a prism I would suggest the Baader as they allow customization to your needs.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nexstar 8SE is a good choice. For visual, SE mount should be adequate and as you say it does not add too much to the price.

The scope comes with Celestron prism diagonal, which is quite usable. No rush to get another, but if your already ordered Maxbright II it would make sense to get Baader T2 prism with SCT adaptor (or clicklock). That's the prism which I use in my 8" SCT and it will fit Maxbright II to.

The scope comes with simple but functional red dot. Since you will only use finder for initial scope alignment there is no need to buy fancier finder.

Your EP range is great for 8" SCT. The only reason to add more EPs is if you want wider field of view.

0.63x reducer works fine for visual. I bought one upon recommendation from forums and used it for a short while, but then realized that I prefer to use 8" SCT without reducer. There are a few reasons. I will just give you a couple. Right now your EPs from 6mm to 32mm are perfect for F10 SCT. If you use the reducer your FL range will shift. 3.8mm EP with reducer will give you the same power as 6mm EP without reducer. Shorter FL EPs either have short eye relief or add extra elements to improve it. So, you add 4-element focal reducer and to compensate you use EPs with more glass elements, which adds more glass to the light path for no good reason. On the other side of FL range: 32mm Plossl at F10 ratio will provide you the widest possible filed of view in 1.25" format. If you add focal reducer you will not get 1.6 wider field of view. Instead you will get severe vignetting and reducer effective aperture of your scope.

Dew shield is a must. Initially, I bought one, but now I prefer to make them myself for my scopes from 3-5mm black EVA foam. It protects from dew better than purchased dewshield and you can make the shield to your specs. Manufacturers typically supply dewshields which are shorter than optimal length. Another related accessory I highly recommend is reflectix insulation for SCT. It helps to protect from dew and also eliminates acclimation. With reflectix you can use SCT at high powers immediately after taking it out. Without insulation you have to set the scope out one-two hours ahead for acclimation.

gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

There is a good site for Nexstar info. Worth looking at:
https://www.nexstarsite.com

Something I did was to put the scope on a much heavier tripod. While the mount is a little shaky, the tripod adds to that and there was a significant difference when I switched.

You'll also want to learn to optimize backlash and how to best slew to your target, as the gears are spur gears with much more slack than worm gears in some of the more expensive mounts.
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I like my SCTs. I have a C8 and C11. I have also used a C6. Coming from dobs I was a little disappointed with my first views through an SCT. They certainly had a lot of magnification when viewing solar system objects, but they felt a little dark to me compared to the dobs. I took care of that by purchasing a focal reducer. The focal reducer pretty much turned my telescopes into convertibles for deep sky and solar system. Actually I have had dobs, refractors, Makcass, and SCTs. I like them all, but they all are good at slightly different things.

I will make a comment about purchasing used. There are good deals to be had, but this is viewing season. It may not be the best time to buy. I have purchased a lot of used telescopes. My favorite shopping time is fall when the weather starts to cool and people need extra cash for Christmas shopping. I have found a number of great deals on telescopes that were once Christmas presents and now sit in closets. Some of them are in great shape.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution