Advice on a new telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Advice on a new telescope

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

I know I posted about this before, but this time it’s necessary.

You need to know two things. First off, my current telescopes computer mount somehow busted this morning at 5:30AM while I was observing Mars. I am encountering severe electrical issues that are hindering the telescope big time. It will move when I’m not telling it the move, it will not move when I try to have it move, one motor is going way too fast, it’s busted. I don’t know if I can fix it. This forces me to either look for a new mount or get a new telescope. I decided on getting a new telescope because I feel I need an upgrade.

The second thing is that I landed a new job a few days ago. As a result, I’m having some more income, making my budget for a telescope bigger than before. $2000+ is my budget.

I found this telescope, and I would like an opinion on it. Do you think it will be a good buy?

If not, can somebody recommend a telescope to me? Preferably a computer telescope.

I plan on using the telescope mainly for deep sky observations, and maybe occasional planetary and lunar observations.

Any help and advice will be appreciated,

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Advice on a new telescope

Post by Jnicholes »

Never mind. I feel very sheepish. I may have found the problem with my current scope. Minor glitch in the system. I factory reset the scope, it seems to be working fine now. I’ll know tonight.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hopefully all is good, ensure you have adequate 12v power to the mount.
Celestron mounts are notorious for doing strange things when the power is low.

On the SC, my only concern is that the tube weights 12 lb and the mount capacity is rated at 12 lb as well.
If wanting to do AP you may need to drop down to the 6se
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thank you for the advice. I may drop down to the 6SE if I can’t get my current mount working.

I’ll know tonight if I can get it working or not. It looks like it’s going to be clear.

If not, I’ll save up and try and get the 6SE.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Just letting you all know that I FINALLY fixed the telescope. I had to factory reset it, and now I am able to get pretty close to Mercury, the beehive cluster, the Orion nebula, and the Hercules cluster. All with a goto approach.

I think I fixed the problem, and now it’s all a matter of aligning the telescope properly.

A new telescope may not be needed now.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Jared,

That's great news. Doesn't mean that you can't also get a new scope but my recommendation is slow down, work out what you really want to do, then buy the right pieces of gear to do it.

I bought a Lacerta MGEN III autoguider from someone a couple of weeks ago. It had been on my second hand shopping watch list for some time. He's also a friend of mine. Tonight he send me a facebook message and asked if I wanted to sell it back to him. It is the sixth 2nd hand item I have bought, where the vendor has wanted to buy it back from me. I take that as a sign that I am buying good stuff at a good price. Think carefully and plan ahead. As others have advised, make sure the mount is over-rated enough to support the weight of the OTA for deep sky photography if that's what you want to do.

Good luck

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

OzEclipse wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:40 pm Jared,

That's great news. Doesn't mean that you can't also get a new scope but my recommendation is slow down, work out what you really want to do, then buy the right pieces of gear to do it.

I bought a Lacerta MGEN III autoguider from someone a couple of weeks ago. It had been on my second hand shopping watch list for some time. He's also a friend of mine. Tonight he send me a facebook message and asked if I wanted to sell it back to him. It is the sixth 2nd hand item I have bought, where the vendor has wanted to buy it back from me. I take that as a sign that I am buying good stuff at a good price. Think carefully and plan ahead. As others have advised, make sure the mount is over-rated enough to support the weight of the OTA for deep sky photography if that's what you want to do.

Good luck

Joe
100% Joe
The telescope the OP wanted to get the 8 SE , the OTA is great but the mount is just OK , you could do a bit of panetary AP but certainly not Deep Sky
The SLT mount you have is not much different to the SE , your OTA is the problem , its a long tube which puts the SLT mount on its limit , and sometimes past it when one uses a large eyepiece etc
I have had many SLT mounts , and the skywatcher equivalent and they like short scopes like a 5 inch SCT , or a small Mak
I use mine with an old 5 inch SCT works really well
Attachments
IMG_1313.JPG
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

This is general issue with scope/mount combos. Most often vendors supplies mounts which underrated for the scopes. Like in this case, C8 is a great scope and I would recommend it over C6, but C6 rides better on Nexstar SE mount.

Most people do get combos for their first scopes and this is OK, but for the second scope I recommend to buy OTA and mount separately.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257