Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Solar projection

Post by Jnicholes »

Hi everyone,

I’ve not been on for a while, my telescope has been having a few problems and I’ve been trying to fix them. However, that’s not why I’m posting today.

I’m currently waiting for my new solar filter to arrive in the mail. I’ve read about solar projection a few times, and decided to try it out today. The results were outstanding!
ACEB2B1A-117A-428C-BE77-0F713BC8B75E.jpeg
Not bad for my first solar projection attempt. I had to flip and rotate the image.

I decided I’m going to do some solar projecting while I’m waiting for the solar filter to come in the mail. I actually have a question about it.

Judging from the picture, is there anything I can do better when solar projecting?

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Solar projection

Post by notFritzArgelander »

The main thing is that you could better orient the projection screen so it is perpendicular to the optic axis perhaps? Or perhaps you were taking the picture of the screen off axis? Hard to tell without a diagram of the setup....
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very cool attempt , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Agree with n-FA. Pics of your setup would be helpful. Nice capture though...sunspots appear to be bright and in focus.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nicely done Jared! I agree with the others in that it seems to be a bit off axis, but other than that I like the detail you captured :D

I'm guessing you used your 80mm frac for that; you're gonna love the solar filter!

BTW, what problems are you having with your scope? Perhaps the collective on here could help... ;)

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Member of the RASC
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thefatkitty wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:53 pm Nicely done Jared! I agree with the others in that it seems to be a bit off axis, but other than that I like the detail you captured :D

I'm guessing you used your 80mm frac for that; you're gonna love the solar filter!

BTW, what problems are you having with your scope? Perhaps the collective on here could help... ;)

All the best,
Well, it’s just alignment issues. For some reason, it won’t align properly no matter what I do. I’m waiting for clear skies to test a theory I have about it.

Yes, I did use the 80mm refractor.

Skies are cloudy right now, but I will get a picture of my set up when I do my next solar viewing. I will admit right now that the angle of my phone made it seem off axis a little bit. It was not off axis when I was looking at it.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

5F7AE8A2-E9D9-4769-8378-CA1D0C4F66B0.jpeg
Here’s another picture from the same day. My phones angle was a lot better in this picture.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Jnicholes wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:50 pm Image

Here’s another picture from the same day. My phones angle was a lot better in this picture.
Looks good! This is as much as you can expect from projection.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2407, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations Jared on having your image selected as todays TSS APOD!

app.php/article/4-21-2022-tss-astrophot ... of-the-day
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Jared. A nice pair of solar projection images. I like the more on axis second capture. Thanks for sharing this work with us Jared and congratulations on receiving the TSS APOD Award today.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Thanks for the award! I appreciate it!

Thank you also for the input on projecting. I really appreciate it.

I would do more solar projections today, but clouds rolled in and the wind is really strong.

Maybe I’ll use this time to diagnose my telescopes issue….
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Well the on axis image doesn't show any issues. I know there were mount issues in the past. What issues bother you?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The only thing I would say is to project onto a nice white paper, we used to do this a lot when growing up. :)
Always a fun thing to show people.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:13 pm Well the on axis image doesn't show any issues. I know there were mount issues in the past. What issues bother you?
It’s actually complicated. You see, whenever I try to align the telescope, it doesn’t align properly.

Let’s say I try a two star align to Betelgeuse and Mizar, like in my last attempt. I align to those two stars, then I attempted to input the telescope to go to M51, the Whirlpool Galaxy. It misses entirely. In fact, it pointed close to the star Alkaid in my last attempt.

It was the same thing in January and February, when I tried to go to the Andromeda galaxy. I did a skyalign to Sirius, Betelgeuse, and Bellatrix. Sure, I went to the Orion nebula just fine. However, the telescope would not go to anything else successfully.

I really don’t know what the problem is. I’m trying to figure it out. I have some theories that need testing, but in order to test them, I need clear skies and minimal wind.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Congrats on the award for your nice image.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

You could purchase or make something like this to get things aligned.
https://global.vixen.co.jp/en/product/37223_2/
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

Nice projection Jared!
It's something I should try again. I am just mustering the courage because when I last did this was 55 years ago with a 12" reflector through a cemented orthoscopic EP. Smoking baby!
An expensive lesson learned by a young lad who knew no different.....
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:34 pm You could purchase or make something like this to get things aligned.
Thanks, but the mount finally broke this morning. Turns out it was a severe electrical issue that just got worse. The mount is fried.

I need a new telescope.
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount

Alfred North Whitehead
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Jnicholes wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:55 am
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:34 pm You could purchase or make something like this to get things aligned.
Thanks, but the mount finally broke this morning. Turns out it was a severe electrical issue that just got worse. The mount is fried.

I need a new telescope.
Sorry to hear.