An almost-a-report

Let's see your reports!
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

An almost-a-report

Post by turboscrew »

It was mostly clear last night, and that was my sauna-night, so I checked how my new grab 'n go scope (Omegon AC 102/660) does in observing while cooling down between löylys.

It did fine. Couldn't see much, tough, because of the moon. I couldn't even see Chertan (of Leo) with naked eye.

I had some targets in mind: Beehive (M44), Pacman (M67), Pinwheel (M101), Whirlpool (M51), Andromeda (M31) and moon.

During the first cool-off, I scanned around half way between Regulus and Pollux, and after a while, a patch of tiny diamonds on a light blue velvet (due to the moon) appeared. The patch seemed to fit quite well in the FOV of the 20 mm "super" (super-what?) eyepiece that came with the scope. The "super" 10 mm (also came with the scope) didn't add anything. Just smaller FOV.
Then back to löyly.

During the second and third cool-off periods, I scanned somewhat widely between Regulus and Procyon, but didn't find the M67.

It was clear that I had no hope of seeing the galaxies due to the moon that hung pretty close to the center of UMa and Leo, so I had to drop them and go with the moon.

During the next cool-off periods I looked at the moon. The moon was bright. The image looked quite sharp, but painfully bright. I thought that a grey filter ND06 (25%) would be good for a small scope, like this, but no. Then I changed to ND09 (13%), but that didn't help much either. I need to get much darker filter for the moon.

I was impressed enough, however, to retire my 10 x 50 binoculars from astronomy. From now on, I'll use the binoculars only for terrestrial. They suck big time compared to the new scope.
Also, I think this kind of scope is very good for a beginners. Also, the AZ-3 was quite good. I didn't notice excess vibrations and such. The vibrations from touching the scope died very quickly.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: An almost-a-report

Post by helicon »

Nice first light Juha. I was out there last night as well in spite of the moon and slightly hazy conditions. Because of the natural LP I couldn't make out all of the stars in Ursa Minor. Looked at Polaris for the first time which naturally is much higher in the sky, having moved to 48.9 latitude from 38.2. I struck out with the Leo galaxies as well. I was using the 5.1" Astronomers Without Borders Newtonian. If I had been using the 10" Dob I might have had more success, but still the galaxies would have been faintish versions of their normal appearance I would guess. Hope you can get out again soon.

Edit: Congrats @turboscrew on the VROD for 4/17!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Sorry you didn't get to your primary targets, but that's the way it goes sometimes! Valuable first light though. Looking forward to your next session!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Nice report Juha. It sounds like you have a good scope now.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:35 pm Nice report Juha. It sounds like you have a good scope now.
It looks like it has already become my "sauna-scope", but does as a grab 'n go as well. :lol:
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I knew the moon would be a problem, but just couldn't resist. Those opportunities have been as common as chicken's teeth. I just didn't realize that the darkness comes so late already. I thought there would have been more time before the moon gets that far.
- Juha

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on successful first light Juha!

Finding the targets will be much easier, when the Moon not around or less than 50% phase. Having 50mm RACI finder in addition to red dot also helps a lot.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Juha. A very descriptive first light report with the new Omegon AC 102/660 telescope. I recommend a variable density (1%-40%) polarizing filter. You can adjust the brightness of the moon, Jupiter, or Saturn to just the right level with this one filter. Thanks for your well written first light report Juha and hope that you get another observing opportunity again soon after the moon starts it's waning phases.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Makuser wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:55 pm Hi Juha. A very descriptive first light report with the new Omegon AC 102/660 telescope. I recommend a variable density (1%-40%) polarizing filter. You can adjust the brightness of the moon, Jupiter, or Saturn to just the right level with this one filter. Thanks for your well written first light report Juha and hope that you get another observing opportunity again soon after the moon starts it's waning phases.
An excellent recommendation. I use the Baader unit and the solar continuum filter on the Moon and Sun.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by davesellars »

Hey Juha, good to see you got first light with the new scope pretty quickly! :) Yep, you can pretty much forget most DSOs at this state of illumination though... :p Some of the brighter open clusters can be still pretty good though...

I never use a filter for the Moon through any of my scopes although at full Moon there's not much interest as the contrast is completely washed out. My "cure" for the Moon being too bright is to apply sufficient magnification to dim it sufficiently... Your 4mm TV Radian and 5mm Delite would mostly likely be perfect for lunar observation with that scope.
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Nice you got out Juha, and I so hear you on observations lately. Glad you're happy with your new scope as well! Make a solar filter for it; it'll increase your odds of seeing something in a 24 hour period !

All the best and best of luck,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

helicon wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:39 pm Nice first light Juha. I was out there last night as well in spite of the moon and slightly hazy conditions. Because of the natural LP I couldn't make out all of the stars in Ursa Minor. Looked at Polaris for the first time which naturally is much higher in the sky, having moved to 48.9 latitude from 38.2. I struck out with the Leo galaxies as well. I was using the 5.1" Astronomers Without Borders Newtonian. If I had been using the 10" Dob I might have had more success, but still the galaxies would have been faintish versions of their normal appearance I would guess. Hope you can get out again soon.

Thanks! I really didn't expect that kind of honor.
- Juha

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:14 pm
helicon wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:39 pm Nice first light Juha. I was out there last night as well in spite of the moon and slightly hazy conditions. Because of the natural LP I couldn't make out all of the stars in Ursa Minor. Looked at Polaris for the first time which naturally is much higher in the sky, having moved to 48.9 latitude from 38.2. I struck out with the Leo galaxies as well. I was using the 5.1" Astronomers Without Borders Newtonian. If I had been using the 10" Dob I might have had more success, but still the galaxies would have been faintish versions of their normal appearance I would guess. Hope you can get out again soon.

Well, first light reports are kind of unique and deserving!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

helicon wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:18 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:14 pm

Well, first light reports are kind of unique and deserving!
But this one was a bit of a stub for even a first light report. I guess the "new twist" was doing it while sauna-bathing. :lol:
- Juha

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Congratulations Juha on receiving the VROD award.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Congratulations on the first light, nice views and the VROD.

The visualisations of you coming out of the sauna to look through the telescope definitely fall in the "too much information" category.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

Congratulations on the VROD!
Nice report with the new telescope! A variable polarizing filter might help!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Nice report, congratulations on the VROD. I see everyone weighing in on how they handle the bright moon with or without filters. I seldom use filters on the moon. I think I'm too lazy to screw them on and off, lol. Instead I turn all the lights on and don't worry about waiting for my eyes to dilate. I also couple the camera to the telescope and then watch the monitor instead of looking through the scope sometimes.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

jrkirkham wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:32 am Nice report, congratulations on the VROD. I see everyone weighing in on how they handle the bright moon with or without filters. I seldom use filters on the moon. I think I'm too lazy to screw them on and off, lol. Instead I turn all the lights on and don't worry about waiting for my eyes to dilate. I also couple the camera to the telescope and then watch the monitor instead of looking through the scope sometimes.
That works too! :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

A sauna session again with the 102 mm, to continue the checks.
Far too cloudy, really, but do you think I could have actually split the double at the Leo's neck (Algieba)?
With 6 mm BCO (110x) I saw two stars. SW from the brighter star, I (barely) saw another, notably dimmer star.
The atmosphere was restless enough, that I couldn't tell their colours. I think yellow and/or orange.
It, actually, took some time to see there was more than one star.
- Juha