My makeshift observatory

Discuss your home observatory!
omeek United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

My makeshift observatory

Post by omeek »

So now that I'm all settled in at my new place I figured out the easiest and cheapest way to get my observing spot going for now. After trying a few basic setups I ended up going with a bunch of 8' t-posts, some wire, and skinny tarps. It is working out really well for now! At least until I actually build something permanent anyway. haha

The concrete pad is 14' x 30' (and way off in my backyard) but I am only blocking off 14' x 20' since that is more than enough room. 8-)

-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: My makeshift observatory

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice Oliver!
Having a permanent observing location should be quite nice :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Looks very effective. The plastic is in a region where it should block out any direct lighting from porch lights and things like that, but still let air flow come in underneath to help with any heat that needs to escape. Since you are leaving it up, you don't have to worry about putting it up after your session is over, just worry about your scope, chair, eyepieces, etc. :)

I had a nice 10 by 16 pad to use before I built my shop building on it. I certainly miss the pad now and really enjoyed it while I had it for observations, so I can appreciate what you have there.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

MistrBadgr wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:32 am Looks very effective. The plastic is in a region where it should block out any direct lighting from porch lights and things like that, but still let air flow come in underneath to help with any heat that needs to escape. Since you are leaving it up, you don't have to worry about putting it up after your session is over, just worry about your scope, chair, eyepieces, etc. :)

I had a nice 10 by 16 pad to use before I built my shop building on it. I certainly miss the pad now and really enjoyed it while I had it for observations, so I can appreciate what you have there.
Yes, it makes it easy for quick setups which is always nice. I am starting to plan some sort of permanent structure but still deciding on what style/setup to go with. :)
-Oliver
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Oliver. A very nice start on your home observatory. A permanent observing setup is on my wish and to do list. Thanks for your report and nice photo Oliver and I hope that you can complete your observatory project soon to really enjoy it.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

Thank you, Marshall! I really hope to make time to get something built this year but we'll see if I can come up with a plan and start working on it sooner rather than later. :)
-Oliver
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice observing pad Oliver. I hope you can get to the actual construction of an obsy to house your scope. I have similar plans and hopefully will get something in place in a year or two.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'd like to have a pad but the HOA says, "Nein!", so my deck will have to do. I sank three concrete blocks in the backyard when I was a kid to set my Sears refractor on. Just doing that was an improvement over grass / bare ground.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s