"Improved" Telrad finder

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

"Improved" Telrad finder

Post by Marcelo F. »

Why is it not common to find a Telrad finder with an extra mirror already assembled from the factory? Wasn't it a significant improvement not having to lower the head parallel to the tube? Or is there something here that I'm not taking into account?

Example:
http://www.waloszek.de/astro_telrad/L9999858as_900.jpg
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: "Improved" Telrad finder

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The dewshield+ is a add-on accessory for the Telrad, just like the extra riser base in your image. They are very handy to allow you to use it as a right angle finder.
I have used one for many years now.

My shortened Telrad with Dewshield+
Short Telrad 2.png
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Astroshop has a good assortment of Telrad accessories available including the dewshield+
https://www.astroshop.eu/telescope-acce ... s/15_40_30
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador

Post by Marcelo F. »

Was this adaptation of the batteries to the outside a DIY? Is that black cap on the side the sun shield?

I know there are loads of accessories for the Telrad, including heaters so the glass doesn't get condensation.
My issue was more in the fact that comparing with a common Finderscope where it is very easy to buy directly with the right angle configuration, both the Telrad solution and the red dot solution always assume that the right angle configuration is a extra, which excluded all reflector users.
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
omeek United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

I had the mirror on mine but days after getting my telrad the adhesive failed and it fell to the floor (breaking the mirror piece). I ended up drilling small holes in my OTA to mount the telrad once and for all!

I never replaced the cover/mirror and I'm fine just looking straight through. I might have to pick up a replacement to see if I've changed my mind though. :)
-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

Marcelo F. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:56 pm Why is it not common to find a Telrad finder with an extra mirror already assembled from the factory? Wasn't it a significant improvement not having to lower the head parallel to the tube? Or is there something here that I'm not taking into account?

Example:
http://www.waloszek.de/astro_telrad/L9999858as_900.jpg
One of the advantages of a straight through finder vs a right angled one, especially Reflex finders like the Telrad, is that if you keep both your eyes open, one through the finder and one outside, you can see the whole sky, with the dot/circles superimposed on it. This makes it much easier to find a known star in it.
With a right angled Telrad you can only see the view through the Telrad, and this can make it difficult to place the Telrad on a smaller/fainter star if you are coming to it from far.

But, ease of use is subjective and some might prefer the right angled version.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Marcelo F. wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:40 pm Was this adaptation of the batteries to the outside a DIY? Is that black cap on the side the sun shield?
I cut mine right behind the reticle (red line) then attached a 2 cell holder from the craft shop to the outside.
IMG_4816.JPG
It is only 150mm long now and easily fits on any telescope.

Personally I love the dewshield+ as it makes it very easy to use, some people do not like it though.
I also found the tape did not hold the base well so use a velcro strap around the Telrad and tube to hold it in place.

The reticle can be damaged easily if doing solar viewing so I made the shield from a welders glass (#15) and plastic strips from hobby store.
It slides over the window and the nylon screws hold it in place.
Gabrielle
Ernest Peterson
Earth Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Ernest Peterson »

I wish I had improved on my red dot finder a long time ago. It was very difficult to strain my neck to look along the DOB to view an alignment star that was not low to the horizon. This year I purchased a Y shaped support mount that holds two finders about 3 inches above the tube. Viewing through 2 different kinds of finders on the support mount allows me to pinpoint the stars easily without straining. Thanks, Orion!
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

Ernest Peterson wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:44 am I wish I had improved on my red dot finder a long time ago. It was very difficult to strain my neck to look along the DOB to view an alignment star that was not low to the horizon. This year I purchased a Y shaped support mount that holds two finders about 3 inches above the tube. Viewing through 2 different kinds of finders on the support mount allows me to pinpoint the stars easily without straining. Thanks, Orion!
Nice! Those Y shaped dual mounts are great. I have one on my xt8i although it holds a finder and a laser pointer. Using the laser pointer (responsibly) made aiming the scope so much easier. That scope is still back in WA so I have strictly been using my Z12 here in AZ. I'll have to grab the xt8i next time I make a trip back to my old place.
-Oliver
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by omeek »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:17 am
Marcelo F. wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:40 pm Was this adaptation of the batteries to the outside a DIY? Is that black cap on the side the sun shield?
I cut mine right behind the reticle (red line) then attached a 2 cell holder from the craft shop to the outside.

Personally I love the dewshield+ as it makes it very easy to use, some people do not like it though.
I also found the tape did not hold the base well so use a velcro strap around the Telrad and tube to hold it in place.

The reticle can be damaged easily if doing solar viewing so I made the shield from a welders glass (#15) and plastic strips from hobby store.

That is really interesting (and cool). Did you mod it due to fitting on specific scopes or something? I never thought about how it's size could possibly make it difficult to put on certain telescopes. That's a cool mod! :)
-Oliver
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

With the original length it was hard to attach it to a lot of different refractors, there was always a tube ring in the way.
Now it is not a issue. The C-C of the rings is about 165mm
C102.png
Gabrielle
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:17 am

I like the Velcro idea! I used it to attach my DIY dew shield to my Telrad.
I stuck flexible magnetic strips to my Telrad mount over the normal self adhesive strips so I can just slap it on any steel alloy OTA.

Shortening the Telrad is also very interesting. I might give that a try next.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)