Discuss deep sky objects.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My New Nemisis

Post by Juno16 »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:36 am Just be very aware of any over head wires when wielding such a contraption ;)

Absolutely Tom. Thanks.

Thankfully, all wiring underground here.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

IKEA has some cheap rolling clothes racks that a curtain could be thrown over.

I'd like to plant arbor vitae all around my deck, but the HOA fascists won't allow it. Maybe I should step out at lunchtime with just a Speedo on. I suspect they'd suddenly appreciate the merits of a plant screen.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

And my last suggestion from a past episode in my continuing war against street lamps. At one of my past houses (on a cul de sac), my next-door neighbor also had a telescope (a 20" dob!), so we both hated the street light that was right in front of my house. Fortunately, his wife was a great seamstress and she fashioned a large black thick fabric sack that we could place over the offending street light with the help of an extendable swimming pool skimmer pole. We rigged a contraption that held the bag open so we could slip it over the street light. We took the bag off when we were done observing. No harm, no foul, easy, peasy. This is all contingent on having a pole long enough to do the job.

So I guess your options are: do nothing (the nemesis wins), destruction (you win), alter the accessible wiring (you win), ground-based shielding (tie), and lamp-based shielding (I'm giving this one to you!).

Let me know if I left any options out. "Choose wisely!" [movie quote]

Cheers,
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JT,

Your posts never cease to put a smile on my face!

Yes, for now, I win somewhat with lamp-based shielding. The bag contraption is a great idea and can be an upgrade to my shield. Hmmm. a pool skimmer. Great idea! Sounds like much more stability than my multiple paint pole rig. I will look into that.
Hopefully during the next new moon, I can do some broadband imaging to see how things look. With the old sodium vapor light in my front yard, my image ADU dropped by 50% from 45 degrees altitude to the meridian.

There is only so much that I can do. There is so much lp from all of the other led streetlights, a school a few hundred yards to the east, and neighbors led yard lights. What a mess, but it is mine and I will keep trying things and trudging on!

Thanks for your valuable (and entertaining) contribution to this thread!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

IIRC, somebody on CN uses a sail-like thing that they hoist up a flagpole in their yard, sort of like the square sail on a Viking ship. It's just large enough to block the offending light from where they usually observe so it's not too cumbersome. Of course that requires that you have a flagpole...
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:29 pm IIRC, somebody on CN uses a sail-like thing that they hoist up a flagpole in their yard, sort of like the square sail on a Viking ship. It's just large enough to block the offending light from where they usually observe so it's not too cumbersome. Of course that requires that you have a flagpole...
Thanks! That sounds like a great solution.

Unfortunately, no flag pole. The "blind" that I made is wobbly, but should works pretty well. Of course, only for my front yard light. Still don't know how much impact the conversion of the whole neighborhood from Na to let will be. It is what it is though, I will trudge on.

Just need a clear night without the blasting moon.!
Jim

OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Jim,
If you make the bottom of the blind leg into a Y, the thing will then rest on three points, contact with the top of the pole and the two feet and be more stable, wind excluded. If you can have two full length legs, even better & more stable.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

OzEclipse wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:15 am Jim,
If you make the bottom of the blind leg into a Y, the thing will then rest on three points, contact with the top of the pole and the two feet and be more stable, wind excluded. If you can have two full length legs, even better & more stable.

Joe
It surely would be more stable. Much more stable.

As is, even with just one leg, I might be stable enough. I cuppud the sides of the blind so that it wouldn’t slide side to side on the lamp fixture. It is wobbly to carry because of the long 20’ height and multiple poles screwed together, but once in place, it seems pretty stable.
Still waiting for a clear night without much moonglow to test it.

Thank you Joe for all of your suggestions and steering me to this “blind” method.
Jim

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Send an email to your senator urging him/her to sign MS up for the "dark skies legislation" based on this: https://www.ncsl.org/research/environme ... ution.aspx . Unfortunately for you, MS has not signed up for it yet, but your neighbor AR has! Sending an email is super easy to do, you never know it might work.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:19 am Send an email to your senator urging him/her to sign MS up for the "dark skies legislation" based on this: https://www.ncsl.org/research/environme ... ution.aspx . Unfortunately for you, MS has not signed up for it yet, but your neighbor AR has! Sending an email is super easy to do, you never know it might work.
Thanks Henk. I will do that.
Jim

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:54 am
SkyHiker wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:19 am Send an email to your senator urging him/her to sign MS up for the "dark skies legislation" based on this: https://www.ncsl.org/research/environme ... ution.aspx . Unfortunately for you, MS has not signed up for it yet, but your neighbor AR has! Sending an email is super easy to do, you never know it might work.
Thanks Henk. I will do that.
I just got my reply back by email from senator Dianne Feinstein.

While the subject of my message was very clear about the need to reduce light pollution, the reply that I got was that she was very thankful for sharing my thoughts on daylight savings time, referencing the "Sunshine Protection Act" by Marco Rubio that is now in the house.

I am kind of speechless about it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

That's great that you had a response Henk. The local city planner emailed me back about a streetlight kitty corner from my old house. He said they would try to install hoods and new lightbulbs which wouldn't spray the light in all directions. By the time I moved though the work had not been done. Not to get into politics but I didn't think Feinstein was that active these days.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N