5 reasons to buy a DOB

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

5 reasons to buy a DOB

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Came across this video that was just released today and wondering what the group thinks of this persons viewpoint ?
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 5 reasons to buy a DOB

Post by davesellars »

Certainly dobs give you the best value in monetary terms. Not sure about astrophotography - For lunar and perhaps planetary if the dob has tracking perhaps but for other objects really you need an equatorial mount for longer exposures. Otherwise for visual purely then there's no way I'd bother putting a reflector on an equatorial platform - the dobsonian mounting is not perfect but great value.

But yes, for beginners there's probably no way better to get going for a relatively small spend... £350 gets you 8" with some accessories. The only issue with this design (reflectors) that for absolute beginners the issue of collimation is not straightforward to understand and it's pretty easy to make a mess of things if you don't know what you're doing.

There's nothing new in the video which hasn't been said before though... :)
SW Flextube 12" Dobsonian.
Starfield ED102 f/7; SW ED80; SW 120ST
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

5 truths that NOBODY told you? I think most of us know them. I disagree about the astrophotography part, because it's only for very bright objects that can be had with short exposures.

Viewing comfort is probably best for a refractor. With a Dob you need a chair with a wider range, or a portable stand and then it is only good for a limited height range.

And when he says that a reflector is a Dobsonian, he got the sequence wrong.

Mostly, best bang for the buck, by far. My Z12 was $630 new when Zhumell competed Apertura out of the market. I already had a 10" 2nd hand for $110 with nice eyepieces. That's a lot of scope for the money.

He could have mentioned the downside, that a Dob above 10" is a beast to transport, like my Z12. I retrofitted it to a collapsible.

He should also mention that with an EQ platform it is hard to use setting circles so finding objects gets harder.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

There are trade-offs to be sure. Collimation for newbies can be a daunting process. But they do provide more bang for the buck than refractors and catadioptrics.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:03 pm
He should also mention that with an EQ platform it is hard to use setting circles so finding objects gets harder.
I've never bothered with setting circles - TBH star-hopping is pretty easy once you've got the hang of it (although may depend on your LP!) What really does help with finding objects especially with the dobsonian is a red dot finder / Telrad / Rigel QuikFinder etc as well as an optical finder. Trying to point a big fat tube at the sky to a position is far from easy otherwise! I use the Rigel Quikfinder to get to the inital star very quickly and then the optical finder takes over...
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Eyepieces: TV Delos 17.3 & 10; Pentax XW 7 & 5; BCO 32,18,10; Fuyiyama Ortho 12.5; Vixen SLV 25.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

davesellars wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:10 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:03 pm
I've never bothered with setting circles - TBH star-hopping is pretty easy once you've got the hang of it (although may depend on your LP!) What really does help with finding objects especially with the dobsonian is a red dot finder / Telrad / Rigel QuikFinder etc as well as an optical finder. Trying to point a big fat tube at the sky to a position is far from easy otherwise! I use the Rigel Quikfinder to get to the inital star very quickly and then the optical finder takes over...
I'm too lazy and ignorant for star hopping, so setting circles work for me. In fact they work amazingly well along Skeye on the cell phone for the AltAz coordinates. I have a baseless Telrad that I clamp on with a bicycle tube strap, it works flawlessly. Good for the inital calibration.

You may recall from the AF that I built an autoguided dual axis barndoor platform for my 10" Dob that I used for DSO astrophotography. Not for long though but it worked and was fun, a unique project.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:09 pm There are trade-offs to be sure. Collimation for newbies can be a daunting process. But they do provide more bang for the buck than refractors and catadioptrics.
The laser that came with mine made it kinda easy for me but I will admit that I was definitely intimidated and if I hadn’t watched a few videos first like you said I would’ve had a problem!
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

No, no, no, no, and no. Get a refractor. Nuff said.
April Fools! That's just my response to the rabid "GET A DOB!" zealots on CN. :lol:

I might get a little tabletop Dob for the grandkids one of these days.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by davesellars »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:55 pm No, no, no, no, and no. Get a refractor. Nuff said.
April Fools! That's just my response to the rabid "GET A DOB!" zealots on CN. :lol:

Joking aside, there's a lot to be said for having an instrument that be up-and-running in a couple of minutes! :) Being realistic, my 12" dob gives far better views than my refractors however I know what gets used more... I need to have a guaranteed 2 hours + observation time for me to think about setting up the dob - It's heavy and takes time to cool-down (despite it living in an un-heated conservatory) and there's no way I'd take the effort to put it out for only a half an hour of observation which is sometimes all you can get due to either time or weather constraints. Unfortunately in the UK it's reasonably rare to get that guaranteed time. Any of my refractors can be out in a couple of minutes on either mount and ready to go in 10 or 15 if waiting for cool-down.

Therefore... you should always have a dob AND a refractor... :)
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

@davesellars Well said Dave. Now just add a 5"- 8" Mak-Cass or Schmidt-Cass scope, with their long focal lengths (high magnification with compact size) and tack sharp views for lunar/planetary observing and you now have the ultimate 1-2-3 punch in your arsenal. :clap:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Baurice »

Each to their own, I say.

I love my 127mm Mak but also love my 15x70 bins. With on-and-off back trouble. I cannot handle a Dob bigger than 150mm and it's only slightly more aperture than my Mak.

It's really down to personal choice. I don't do long exposure photography either, partly due to budget but also because I can find enough to "snap" without doing it.

I might consider a Dob if I could permanently mount it and live in dark skies but neither are going to happen.

But if you enjoy a Dob, carry on enjoying it. Do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

The problem with most beginner scopes is they come with wobbly mounts, the Dob solves this problem.

For me personally, I prefer SCTs, Maks and short tube fracs.
The reason being the EP travels the least in altitude movements, makes for a comfortable viewing experience, easy on the back.

I do wish I owned a 16" Dob though :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Q

Post by bladekeeper »

Love my dobsonian, love my refractors. All tools in the toolbox.

If I wanna go after faint fuzzy galaxies on the edge of perceptibility, I pull out the dob. If I want clear, sharp, and crisp views, I pull out a refractor. A quick session? A refractor or maybe binoculars.

Astrophotography? I've tried imaging the Moon with my dob, and that was more frustrating than a cat trying to bury a turd in a marble floor. :lol: A frac on an EQ for that purpose, or for long exposure AP.

But, a good ol' long night out bagging galaxies or other dust bunnies, I'll bring out the dob. Plus, it's good to hide behind when a skunk waddles through the yard. :D
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

davesellars
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Q

Post by davesellars »

bladekeeper wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:08 am Love my dobsonian, love my refractors. All tools in the toolbox.
Hey Brian! It's been a while... How you doing? I only realised AF had broken for good when I checked in on it around last Xmas. You seem to have amassed quite a bit of kit since we started over there - that's an impressive collection of refractors you've got!!! :)
EQ5 and AZ4 mounts
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I've been hearing about Maks for awhile so I have decided to buy one in the near future, probably the Skywatcher 180mm like @Bigzmey has.

Then I'd have a complete arsenal. But actually I still need to buy an ED refactor.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:55 pm No, no, no, no, and no. Get a refractor. Nuff said.

Now that made me laugh well done !👏🏻

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I like dobs but they have their problems , the mount is rubbish and dont last , perhaps 5 years if used them, the base warps etc , I have 2 dobs and both have had problems with the base , which I have replaced with solid wood , I have a 60 year odd Refractor that is still perfect , , would love to see a Dobs mount that is that old , probably dust!
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

helicon wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:47 pm I've been hearing about Maks for awhile so I have decided to buy one in the near future, probably the Skywatcher 180mm like @Bigzmey has.

Then I'd have a complete arsenal. But actually I still need to buy an ED refactor.
I like my 90mm Mak, but I wonder if my new 102ED will wind up replacing it. :think: The Mak is crazy portable compared to the 102 though. (And the weather is still garbage, so very little observing with the 102 so far.)
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Richard wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:45 pm I like dobs but they have their problems , the mount is rubbish and dont last , perhaps 5 years if used them, the base warps etc , I have 2 dobs and both have had problems with the base , which I have replaced with solid wood , I have a 60 year odd Refractor that is still perfect , , would love to see a Dobs mount that is that old , probably dust!
My dobson base is made of 10 mm aluminium.I don't think it gets pulverized very fast...
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

At least with dobson mount you probably get to stargaze with less than 2 years of continuous problems...
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.