Combatting mildew and corrosion

Discuss your home observatory!
47Tuc New Zealand
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Combatting mildew and corrosion

Post by 47Tuc »

In my roll-off roof observatory, I'm getting some mildew on wood and corrosion on metal parts of my equipment (such as counterweights). There are no leaks or water getting inside, but the wooden obs is unlined apart from building paper. It is not tightly sealed - there are the usual areas for air to get in and out. There is no permanent power supply to the obs, so a dehumidifier is out of the question, especially as it is not sealed in any case. Does anyone have similar problems, or solutions?
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Combatting mildew and corrosion

Post by Unitron48 »

This article might be of some help: http://arksky.org/aso-guides/aso-genera ... re-control.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Rasalgethi Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Rasalgethi »

Good moisture guidance there Dave. The bit I did not understand and could someone explain please, was from this bit,

"This problem is FAR more common in summer than in winter. In winter I
suggest a small 1000 watt or less space heater or 200 watt lightbulb being
left on during closed periods to minimize humidity. If you are able to keep
the inside temperature to within ONE DEGREE of the dew point on all exposed
surfaces, you will prevent condensation from ever forming within your
observatory."

My plan was to have an Arduino turn fans on when the temperature got too hot and turn heaters on when too cold with a view to keep the temperature within a range and above the dew point. So why does the above say to keep the temperature to within 1 degree of the dew point to prevent condensation?

Thanks
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Our OP's problem is that he doesn't have power in the observatory, which makes running heaters, lightbulbs or dehumidifiers a problem.
Without power, the only thing I could suggest is leaving it more open to airflow if that is an option when the weather is appropriate.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Rasalgethi wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:03 pm So why does the above say to keep the temperature to within 1 degree of the dew point to prevent condensation?
Thanks
To prevent condensation forming you only need to stay 1° above the dewpoint, as long as you can maintain a temperature above the dewpoint condensation cannot form.
If you have no power available have you considered a solar panel?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Have you tried hanging a large towel over your equipment? It works for me, at least sometimes. Maybe because it keeps the equipment a bit from cooling down, or maybe because it retains warm air that wants to rise.

It might be true, I just searched and found this reference, FWIW. I also read that you can put a towel over your windshield to prevent frost, another example.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images