Discuss solar related topics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Eugene Parker has passed away

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Eugene Parker has passed away

Post by Thefatkitty »

That's sad to hear... :( I was watching a documentary the other night on the Parker Solar Probe (I have this fascination with our star) and he was in the clean room with the engineers assembling it.
Then he got a great seat to watch it when it launched; in his words when it lifted off, "Bye-bye spacecraft" :lol:

He stuck to his guns, and I believe it was Mariner 2 going to Venus that finally confirmed the existence of the solar wind that he had hypothesised.

R.I.P. Eugene.
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:01 pm That's sad to hear... :( I was watching a documentary the other night on the Parker Solar Probe (I have this fascination with our star) and he was in the clean room with the engineers assembling it.
Then he got a great seat to watch it when it launched; in his words when it lifted off, "Bye-bye spacecraft" :lol:

He stuck to his guns, and I believe it was Mariner 2 going to Venus that finally confirmed the existence of the solar wind that he had hypothesised.

R.I.P. Eugene.
He had the good sense to stick to his guns when physics and maths said that sticking was justified. I'm not a fan of sticking to your guns when observation says your ideas are doo-doo. :lol:

You're right about Mariner 2.

I met him casually at U of Chicago but he played no role in my education. I visited there on occasion to listen to lectures by Chandrasekhar.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:07 pm
He had the good sense to stick to his guns when physics and maths said that sticking was justified. I'm not a fan of sticking to your guns when observation says your ideas are doo-doo. :lol:

I met him casually at U of Chicago but he played no role in my education. I visited there on occasion to listen to lectures by Chandrasekhar.
Thanks for confirming that, and you met him? Again, if I'm right, I believe it was Chandrasekhar who said his math/physics were sound. I agree wholeheartedly with your second sentence too!

"to listen to lectures by Chandrasekhar"... Wow; even though I probably wouldn't get much of it, I would have loved to have had the experience! Good for you :D

I'd ask who else you've met/listened to of some note, but I bet that list would be pretty long!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:20 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:07 pm

Thanks for confirming that, and you met him? Again, if I'm right, I believe it was Chandrasekhar who said his math/physics were sound. I agree wholeheartedly with your second sentence too!

"to listen to lectures by Chandrasekhar"... Wow; even though I probably wouldn't get much of it, I would have loved to have had the experience! Good for you :D

I'd ask who else you've met/listened to of some note, but I bet that list would be pretty long!

All the best,
I can keep the list short to those who had some educational impact.

I was taking a course in galactic structure and dynamics at a nearby institution and we regularly dropped in on Chandrasekhar who happened to be lecturing on the topic at the same time. My primary mentor as an undergraduate was a Chandrasekhar PhD student.

Hans Bethe and I had perhaps a half dozen one-on-one sessions in addition to a semester of research seminars. Seminars only with Sterling Colgate on supernovae.

I had a hard time understanding the role of symmetry breaking in the Standard Model until I had a breakthrough experience in the audience of a colloquium with T D Lee.

Feynman was fun. That I survived the encounter was nice. ;)

This omits mentioning (apart from Chandrasekhar) the two teachers to whom I owe the deepest gratitude for clearing cobwebs.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That is impressive! I've heard/read about all the people you've mentioned... Some serious rock-stars of physics!
Feynman was fun. That I survived the encounter was nice

I'm still laughing at that and impressed at the same time!

Thanks for that, nFA!
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Anyway back on topic here is a WaPo obit:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituari ... rker-dead/