Asteroid Spotted Just Two Hours Before Impacting Earth

Discuss the latest astronomy news!
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

Asteroid Spotted Just Two Hours Before Impacting Earth

Post by smp »

From CNet.com:
"Two hours. That's about how much time elapsed between the discovery of asteroid 2022 EB5 and when it reached Earth's atmosphere. The asteroid is only the fifth one to have been detected before impact. "

https://www.cnet.com/science/space/aste ... tmosphere/

Whew!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Asteroid Spotted Just Two Hours Before Impacting Earth

Post by helicon »

Close Call. Actually it impacted but was small enough that the damage was minimal!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

And they have introduced a new unit of measure for the size and mass of asteroids - the Giraffe.

This one was half a giraffe.
asteroid-size-unit.jpeg
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Johnny Carter
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Johnny Carter »

I read about this, really gives you a bad feeling about what if it were a big one.
I’ve learned a lot since I knew it all.
150mm Orion Mak-Cass, Orion StarSeeker IV GoTo mount, Telrad.
Orion 10 & 23mm (set 1.25), Explore Scientific 9 & 18mm, 2x GSO Barlow, just purchased 2” Orion twist diagonal, GSO 32mm plossl and Agena 8-24 zoom.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Johnny Carter wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:37 pm I read about this, really gives you a bad feeling about what if it were a big one.
Hi Johnny,

Oh, I wouldn't waste time worrying about extreme low probability "what-if?" scenarios like this.

I worked for nearly 40 years in climate change research. With 70m of sea level rise stored up in the polar caps that are both simultaneously experiencing temperature 40C (70F) above average at present, the recent collapse of the city sized Conger Ice Shelf, and higher frequencies of extreme weather, not to mention threats of global conflicts, there are many more imminent threats of either high probability or total certainty to concern yourself with. Major polar melts were thought to be hundreds of years off but those projections never factored in 40C temperature rises.

We're going to lurch between climatic extremes like polar vortex events, tornados and hurricanes, flooding rains to periods of droughts and raging forest fires with only brief periods of "normal" in between. Normal will no longer be normal.

The attached animation shows how, under a full polar melt, the entire state of Florida and most of the eastern USA seaboard would go under, the great lakes would merge into one large inland sea and even Texas will loose a lot of land. From the resolution of this map, I can't tell if Weatherford, TX will become seaside real estate or under water.

There, do you feel better now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe
Attachments
Nth-AM-Sea-Level-animation.gif
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Actually, I am feeling pretty good about them seeing an asteroid that small at all. If they can see one that small at all, it means to me that whomever is doing the looking is getting pretty good at it. "We" just need to keep pressing forward and get better and better at it. :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.