"lubricating" a dobson?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

"lubricating" a dobson?

Post by turboscrew »

Does anyone have good hints what I could do to my dobson?
I has "wheels" attached to the tube and the wheels rest on teflon patches on the mount.
The tube doens'n move very smoothly, but "stutters" (you know, altering static and dynamic friction in almost audible frequency). Is there a good "lubricant" for the teflon patches?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Re: "lubricating" a dobson?

Post by starfield »

In the past, I've used a silicone car wax. Needs to be reapplied periodically.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I've heard that Armorall works - it's a spray on liquid used for cleaning up plastics, dashboards in cars, tires, etc.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

As mentioned a silicone based car wax will work for you Juha. Just reapply whenever you feel it starting to "stutter" again.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Thanks, I have to look what we have available around here.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I have seen mention of using ski wax as well - the glide type of course rather than the grip wax. However, I have not had any experience with it. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

kt4hx wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:43 pm I have seen mention of using ski wax as well - the glide type of course rather than the grip wax. However, I have not had any experience with it. :)
I guess ski wax probably needs to be applied much more often.
- Juha

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:46 pm
kt4hx wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:43 pm I have seen mention of using ski wax as well - the glide type of course rather than the grip wax. However, I have not had any experience with it. :)
I guess ski wax probably needs to be applied much more often.
That may well be, but I honestly don't know since I've never used it. If you can find the car wax, that should do what you need however.
Alan

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

The very first thing I would do is to thoroughly and carefully clean both the surface of the wheel and the Teflon strips with a mild soap and water solution. Don't get any parts wetter than damp. Then see if you still need the wax.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Good advice JT, I was running under the assumption that Juha had already cleaned the pads.
Alan

Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Dave Krige recommended turtle wax car polish and I thought surely there must be better lubes and applied silicone lube to my 15" Obsession but when it was ballanced for big eyepieces and a paracorr it became very sticky after a while, needed more force to move but less to keep it moving, making it very difficult to track an object. I cleaned it with alcohol and applied only Turtle wax.....I never used anything else afterwards!
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:25 am Dave Krige recommended turtle wax car polish and I thought surely there must be better lubes and applied silicone lube to my 15" Obsession but when it was ballanced for big eyepieces and a paracorr it became very sticky after a while, needed more force to move but less to keep it moving, making it very difficult to track an object. I cleaned it with alcohol and applied only Turtle wax.....I never used anything else afterwards!
I was about to ask, so thanks for answering before I even asked. :lol:
I guess, Turtle wax original is available. So many car waxes proudly announce "No silicon".
- Juha

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I have a update on the Subject: I sold my 15" Obsession because it just got too heavy for my 60+ back, but then I saw a 8" Sky Watcher solid tube Dobson on the net being sold locally for a ridiculous price and I could not resist. I believe it when the seller told me that it was only used twice because it's spotless, but the Az and Alt movement were not smooth at all. I did a lot of work on the rocker box and turntable, fixed the plastic spindle and white plastic washer to the base to prevent horizontal movement and polished the melamine-covered particle turntable with Turtle wax and the result was an acceptable Az movement. The alt movement was a different story, because it has no teflon pads and is plastic on nylon, nothing would remove the initial resistance to movement which resulted in me constantly overshooting the target. The Az has more resistance but is smooth with no extra initial resistance to movement. Then I read about dry PTFT (Teflon) lube thats safe on plastic, there are a couple of sprays available but I could only get Dry bike Lubricant with teflon in liquid form. I applied it to both surfaces of the Alt movement and the result was very good! This Sky Watcher is now smoother than my Obession use to be! I will report back on how long the effect last over time but so far I am very happy with this lube.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:39 pm I have a update on the Subject: I sold my 15" Obsession because it just got too heavy for my 60+ back, but then I saw a 8" Sky Watcher solid tube Dobson on the net being sold locally for a ridiculous price and I could not resist. I believe it when the seller told me that it was only used twice because it's spotless, but the Az and Alt movement were not smooth at all. I did a lot of work on the rocker box and turntable, fixed the plastic spindle and white plastic washer to the base to prevent horizontal movement and polished the melamine-covered particle turntable with Turtle wax and the result was an acceptable Az movement. The alt movement was a different story, because it has no teflon pads and is plastic on nylon, nothing would remove the initial resistance to movement which resulted in me constantly overshooting the target. The Az has more resistance but is smooth with no extra initial resistance to movement. Then I read about dry PTFT (Teflon) lube thats safe on plastic, there are a couple of sprays available but I could only get Dry bike Lubricant with teflon in liquid form. I applied it to both surfaces of the Alt movement and the result was very good! This Sky Watcher is now smoother than my Obession use to be! I will report back on how long the effect last over time but so far I am very happy with this lube.
Pretty good news. For all dobson owners, not just me.
- Juha

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

This is what I want to get :
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:33 am This is what I want to get :
OMG! It's available here in a local shop.
- Juha

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I could not buy any WD40 Dry PTFE locally so I ordered 2 tins online and they arrived today, I removed the old lube from my 8" Sky Watcher Dob with benzine and applied the dry PTFE to both the Az and Alt movements. It is absolutely amazing! Obsession owners used to talk about "butter smooth" but this result is even smoother than that. I had my doubts that this scope would ever be user friendly and now it's the smoothest Dob I have ever viewed with. I think that any Dobson without Teflon pads can now be as smooth as those with them without any mods !
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Interesting I have a GSO 8 inch with uses bearings for both alt and Az movements , It must be at least 15 years old and I only once had to clean and re grease the bearings , always a pleasure to use
My Skywatcher uses those pads and needs periodic cleaning otherwise it tends to 'stick' certainly more on the base , after reading some posts on CN where they say that the teflon pads are better than bearings made me wonder .
All these bases are made from chipboard , or particle board for US chaps any form of moisture will distort the turntable so I took a straight edge to see , both scopes the base are out by a few mm , obviously the bearings can handle this but the 3 little pads ,no so yes they work well until one uses it for a long time
Must try this dry PTFE , where did you get it from Piet
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

The Obsession Dobsons are very smooth running on Teflon pads and countertop laminate and should be lubricated with Turtle car wax, they have set the benchmark for smoothness. It appears that Chinese manufacturing don’t want to use Du Pont’s Teflon pads and use a roller bearing system or nylon pads with the Alt movement running on plastic and nylon. I have never used a GSO Dobson with roller bearings so I don't know what they feel like. For me the problem is not just the smoothness but does it require more effort to get in motion than it does to keep in motion, because thats a problem that makes it very difficult to stop on a object. On my Sky Watcher the PTFE have replaced the lack of teflon pads but I dont know if it is needed on a roller bearing system or would make any difference. I orderd some online from BPM Toolcaft in Cape Town, could not find any locally.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:06 am The Obsession Dobsons are very smooth running on Teflon pads and countertop laminate and should be lubricated with Turtle car wax, they have set the benchmark for smoothness. It appears that Chinese manufacturing don’t want to use Du Pont’s Teflon pads and use a roller bearing system or nylon pads with the Alt movement running on plastic and nylon. I have never used a GSO Dobson with roller bearings so I don't know what they feel like. For me the problem is not just the smoothness but does it require more effort to get in motion than it does to keep in motion, because thats a problem that makes it very difficult to stop on a object. On my Sky Watcher the PTFE have replaced the lack of teflon pads but I dont know if it is needed on a roller bearing system or would make any difference. I orderd some online from BPM Toolcaft in Cape Town, could not find any locally.
Actually the roller bearings on the Zhumell ten inch Dob work great.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N