Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

Post by gregl »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 am
2) making spacers or shaving a bit of the focuser base to adjust the focuser curve to much the scope body
1.25" draw tube).

That's what JB Weld is for. :P
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 am Holes are easy. :) Just cover with some black tape. Unfortunately, I don't have any hands-on experience with this focuser. Just looking at the info available the installation may involve:

1) drilling mounting screw holes
2) making spacers or shaving a bit of the focuser base to adjust the focuser curve to much the scope body
3) enlarging the focuser opening on the scope to fit larger draw tube (since the original focuser is 0.965 and the focuser hole might be too narrow to fit 1.25" draw tube)

Depending on your disposition it could be a fun Sunday DIY project or focuser upgrade from hell. :D

Mark @Thefatkitty may have some words of wisdom. If I remember correctly he might have replaced focuser on a similar newt.
Boy you are a mind reader, I was not just worried about drilling new holes but also would the bigger diameter focusing tube be to big to fit into the original opening?
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:55 am
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:09 am Holes are easy. :) Just cover with some black tape. Unfortunately, I don't have any hands-on experience with this focuser. Just looking at the info available the installation may involve:

3) enlarging the focuser opening on the scope to fit larger draw tube (since the original focuser is 0.965 and the focuser hole might be too narrow to fit 1.25" draw tube)

Depending on your disposition it could be a fun Sunday DIY project or focuser upgrade from hell. :D

Mark @Thefatkitty may have some words of wisdom. If I remember correctly he might have replaced focuser on a similar newt.
Boy you are a mind reader, I was not just worried about drilling new holes but also would the bigger diameter focusing tube be to big to fit into the original opening?

Hi Frank, little late on your post; I just noticed the mention by Bigzmey. I have a similar scope, and I used the focuser from a 4.5" Skywatcher with a bad mirror I got at a garage sale for $10. However, the focuser you were looking at on eBay should work well. Believe me, it will turn that scope from "meh" to "wow!" with some decent 1.25" eyepieces. I highly recommend the Kokusai Kohki Orthoscopic eyepieces. I use them in everything from my 60mm's to my 10" dob. Not the widest FOV, but quality views from one edge to the other, and the price is right.

You may have to make the opening for the focuser drawtube on the scope tube a bit bigger, but a set of tin snips worked for me. Just take your time; and it doesn't have to be a perfect circle. The focuser will still cover the tube so no light leaks in. If there are gaps, some black flocking from a hobby store will take care of that.

I think was Bigzmey was referring to was this website I made years ago for another member on the old forum, it was an upgrade I did to an old Tasco 4.5". Not much on the focuser, but there are some other ideas there.

Good luck and hope your new scope arrives soon!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thefatkitty wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:14 am
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:55 am

Hi Frank, little late on your post; I just noticed the mention by Bigzmey. I have a similar scope, and I used the focuser from a 4.5" Skywatcher with a bad mirror I got at a garage sale for $10. However, the focuser you were looking at on eBay should work well. Believe me, it will turn that scope from "meh" to "wow!" with some decent 1.25" eyepieces. I highly recommend the Kokusai Kohki Orthoscopic eyepieces. I use them in everything from my 60mm's to my 10" dob. Not the widest FOV, but quality views from one edge to the other, and the price is right.

You may have to make the opening for the focuser drawtube on the scope tube a bit bigger, but a set of tin snips worked for me. Just take your time; and it doesn't have to be a perfect circle. The focuser will still cover the tube so no light leaks in. If there are gaps, some black flocking from a hobby store will take care of that.

I think was Bigzmey was referring to was this website I made years ago for another member on the old forum, it was an upgrade I did to an old Tasco 4.5". Not much on the focuser, but there are some other ideas there.

Good luck and hope your new scope arrives soon!

All the best,
Thanks for the input I truly appreciate it !
I am so eagerly awaiting my 10” Dobson ( end of Feb they said and it’s gone up $100 since I ordered it ) but this is keeping me busy even with the focuser slipping .
It works well till it gets to either end of the rack about the last 10% either way and I just nudge it the rest of the way for now but it is a pain in the neck because I often times also knock it off target.
Looked at the seven sisters M45 till I was frozen BUT I was amazed at how much more I could see !
I looked at the website you created and thanks for that valuable info !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice catch of M45 the Pleiades...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:23 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:39 pm Does anyone know if this will fit my scope I think it will?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184871848114?_ ... %3A2047675
I don't believe you will be happy with this one Frank. It seems like all-plastic junky version. Even if it works out of box it will fell apart soon.

I believe this is much better option, but you will need to drill some holes for it to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174563639769?_ ... %3A2047675
Hey my friend I hope your day is going well?
I have a question for you,
I found that exact same focuser you suggested for half the price direct from the company (it’s listed as being in HongKong) I’m assuming but I wanted your opinion on if it’s the same one. https://www.svbony.com/sv181-newtonian- ... r-focuser/
BTW after a cloudy day yesterday it lifted and was clear at night and the stars were very bright with no moon and being out in the wood's,I was out there till 12:30 looking at M45 and trying out the three different lens .
(1) HI 25 was good,I could see more than just the seven stars ,(2) HI 2.5 was even better even more visibility but I had a hard time with(3) SR4mm but part of that was the rack and pinion slipping at the last 10% of the rack as I was trying to focus and at that maginfacation trying to nudge the rack to engage again with the worm drive knocks the focus off M45 and frustration set in and I was freezing so I called it quits!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:39 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:23 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:39 pm Does anyone know if this will fit my scope I think it will?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184871848114?_ ... %3A2047675
I don't believe you will be happy with this one Frank. It seems like all-plastic junky version. Even if it works out of box it will fell apart soon.

I believe this is much better option, but you will need to drill some holes for it to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174563639769?_ ... %3A2047675
Hey my friend I hope your day is going well?
I have a question for you,
I found that exact same focuser you suggested for half the price direct from the company (it’s listed as being in HongKong) I’m assuming but I wanted your opinion on if it’s the same one. https://www.svbony.com/sv181-newtonian- ... r-focuser/
BTW after a cloudy day yesterday it lifted and was clear at night and the stars were very bright with no moon and being out in the wood's,I was out there till 12:30 looking at M45 and trying out the three different lens .
(1) HI 25 was good,I could see more than just the seven stars ,(2) HI 2.5 was even better even more visibility but I had a hard time with(3) SR4mm but part of that was the rack and pinion slipping at the last 10% of the rack as I was trying to focus and at that maginfacation trying to nudge the rack to engage again with the worm drive knocks the focus off M45 and frustration set in and I was freezing so I called it quits!
Hi Frank
Yes, it is the same focuser. It is available from a few stores. You just need to look for the best combination of price and delivery window. Amazon used to have them to, but out of stock ATM.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thank you so much I might just order it at that price and when I get to the checkout cart see what the estimated delivery date is before “pulling the trigger”.
My thinking is that if I can save 25 bucks that’s $25 towards something else and if I have to wait like I have to wait for the 10 inch DOB telescope well then that means that astronomy is teaching me to be patient lol 😁

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:09 pm Thank you so much I might just order it at that price and when I get to the checkout cart see what the estimated delivery date is before “pulling the trigger”.
My thinking is that if I can save 25 bucks that’s $25 towards something else and if I have to wait like I have to wait for the 10 inch DOB telescope well then that means that astronomy is teaching me to be patient lol 😁
Absolutely, and if they have it in stock the shipping may not be too bad.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:48 pm Thanks for the input I truly appreciate it !
I am so eagerly awaiting my 10” Dobson ( end of Feb they said and it’s gone up $100 since I ordered it ) but this is keeping me busy even with the focuser slipping .
It works well till it gets to either end of the rack about the last 10% either way and I just nudge it the rest of the way for now but it is a pain in the neck because I often times also knock it off target.
Looked at the seven sisters M45 till I was frozen BUT I was amazed at how much more I could see !
I looked at the website you created and thanks for that valuable info !
No worries, it was my pleasure :D Yeah, I can think of more than a few nights freezing my tail off at such sights... and the Pleiades is hard to "put down". Good for you on the perseverance!

I also have a 10" dob, but I will tell you; some nights it's just too much to lug out, and my old 4.5" is so grab and go. You'll be happy you kept it. Heck, even the nights where I don't feel like using two hands to carry something, my little Towatron 60mm will suffice!

I forgot to mention a tip for drilling holes in the curved surface that a telescope tube is. What I did was cover the area of the scope that the focuser sat on with painters tape and then duct tape. I marked the mounting holes with a sharpie on the tape, and drilled from that. What the duct tape will do is keep your drill bit from "wandering", and the painters tape below makes sure there's no "goo" from the duct tape left on your tube.

Another way to go is drill holes in the focuser to match the holes in the tube, but that might not work depending on your new focusers base.

Anyways, enough of me and my advice :D Glad you're getting out; reading your views makes me smile, especially with my crappy weather lately. Another person hooked on astronomy; good for you buddy!!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Mark makes a good point. It is nice to have a small grab and go scope for those nights where the weather is iffy, or you just don't feel like rolling out the big guns.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thanks Mark,I will certainly keep that all in mind and good tips about the drilling the tube.
Glad I’m keeping you amused as I’m loving it !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:59 pm Mark makes a good point. It is nice to have a small grab and go scope for those nights where the weather is iffy, or you just don't feel like rolling out the big guns.
Yes I definitely was going to switch focuser and bring this scope up in quality and keep it around for those “ quick moments” !
Thanks for everything !!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

If you have to buy a drill bit, Black and Decker makes what they call a Bullet Point bit which has a small point that has less of a tendency to wander and what I'd call wings that cut the sheet metal without grabbing. A light hammer tap on a center punch will also go a long way tp prevent drill wander.
Roverich
Moon Ambassador

Post by Roverich »

Late on opinion here but check if the replacement focuser fits before cutting the tube. If it doesn't fit , I would measure the new tube , divide by two and just make the hole that much bigger around . Want to keep it centered on the secondary..
Current scopes 16in night sky dobsonian , 80mm synta refractor on a slik professional tripod with a stellarvue m1 mount Meade series 4000 eyepieces. Meade 70mm binoculars. Keep looking up.

In route. Astrotech 102ed refractor :sprefac:
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Roverich wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:51 pm Late on opinion here but check if the replacement focuser fits before cutting the tube. If it doesn't fit , I would measure the new tube , divide by two and just make the hole that much bigger around . Want to keep it centered on the secondary..
Late on opinion but big on advise !
I’ll be sure to get that drill bit before starting and thanks for the info on size of the opening .

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

I can’t win lately this supply chain stuff is getting ridiculous !
In 24 hours that focuser is now not to be had “ out of stock “🙁
Attachments
CBC82426-7794-49A6-AF2F-52A9FFA0DCC1.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:59 pm I can’t win lately this supply chain stuff is getting ridiculous !
What about the SVBony site? They show it in stock. They also have detailed measurements if you scroll down the page.

https://www.svbony.com/sv181-newtonian- ... r-focuser/

turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:59 pm I can’t win lately this supply chain stuff is getting ridiculous !
If that's of any consolation, been there multiple times.
I, too, picked a lousy time (COVID-years) to get into the hobby.
But hang in there. Things work out eventually.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:43 pm
What about the SVBony site? They show it in stock. They also have detailed measurements if you scroll down the page.

https://www.svbony.com/sv181-newtonian- ... r-focuser/
Yes my friend,remember I showed you this yesterday and you are right they are in stock but they are also in China.
At first I was going to thinking about the extra $25 I would save but I don’t like buying stuff direct from China if I can help it,sometimes you get stiffed.
I had decided to just spend the extra $ to get it sooner but now a day later they are sold out and I’m sure the one direct from China will be on a “ slow boat from China” 🤷🏼‍♂️

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars