Renovation of an EQ5-class Mount

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Renovation of an EQ5-class Mount

Post by Sky Tinker »

Back in the early 2000s, I had gotten a Vixen GPDX, an EQ5-class mount. But within a couple of years it was destroyed in a conflagration, in February of 2005. I was able to salvage and restore the wooden legs of the tripod however...

before-after.jpg

Fast forward to last June, an astronomy-equipment liquidator out west in Arizona had conducted two "Buy It Now" listings within eBay, one after the other had sold out. These items, new old-stock, but not really all that old, sold out quickly, each listing. I got my own from the second listing...

boxes.jpg

After those two listings ended, there were no more.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: Renovation of an EQ5-class Mount

Post by Sky Tinker »

https://i.imgur.com/lnPaEK7.jpg

As you can see, within that eBay listing, no tripod was included. It's not easy, quite the contrary, to find a suitable tripod for that mount-head. I hesitated as a result, for a full day, until it finally dawned upon me.

My old Celestron CG-4, an EQ3-class mount, purchased in 2012; what a mistake that was, as I've never used it, and never will. But in hindsight, how fortunate rather, its acquisition, for it just so happens that the tripod of the CG-4, and that of the Meade LX70, are identical, the same; the hub, and with the tubular, 1.75" diameter, stainless-steel legs. Happily I scavenged the tripod from the CG-4, and for my new mount...

CG-4 to LX70.jpg

I had previously altered the tripod, and to my liking. For one, I replaced the twelve "naugahyde" washers where the legs join the hub, and with six, rather, of phosphor-bronze, at 0.008" in thickness...

plastic washer3.jpg

After that, there was really no need for the spreader/eyepiece-tray to stabilise the legs. The legs are able to fold, somewhat stiffly, yet smoothly, and with no slop whatsoever.

The main portion of the legs were always much, much too long, so I cut them down to match those of my Astro-Tech Voyager I...

tripod legs main2.jpg

I had also gotten the 16" pier for the CG-4, but in the end I cut it down to match that of my Voyager I...

before-after.jpg

My Voyager I...

ATVI mount1.jpg
ATVI mount1.jpg (50.81 KiB) Viewed 16289 times

After all, I'm only 5' 9" in height.
Last edited by Sky Tinker on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Everything was included with the new old-stock mount-head...

parts.jpg

...including a painted, proprietary dovetail-bar, which will not fit the saddle of my Voyager I, the bar being too wide. It's useless as a result, as is that is. I might could cut or grind it down to a narrower width, then repaint it, black.

Also included was an 11 lb. counter-weight...

11 lbs. counterweight.jpg

The only blemish, damage that I found was a broken thumb-screw for the polar-scope holder, and for a polar-scope that is no longer extant, therefore of no consequence.

The mount-head of the Celestron CG-4 and that of the Meade LX70 compared...

LX70 vs CG-4.jpg

What a wonderful difference.

Hmm...

LX70.jpg

The clamps for the axes are not installed, yet the DEC head is upright. That's because, and like how most every mount from overseas arrives these days, the axes are stiff, bound up.

What might be done about that?

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The Japanese-made mounts of decades past were of a finer machining and polish compared to the Chinese clones of same today. Although, it has been at least twenty years since China took over the manufacturing of these mounts, and it shows, in a good way, but they are still not up to the level of those that once were, of course.

http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/

Within that tutorial, a user had refurbished their CG5-GT, the go-to variant, and the predecessor to the current AVX. They experienced a bit of a problem afterwards, but resetting the mount's computer-system made it go away. Keep that in mind as you read of my own adventure.

Also, within that tutorial, and all of the others I've read and watched online, inevitably, all of the washers, of plastic or fibre, are returned to the mount-head, in the end...

dec washers.jpg

Plastic does play well with aluminium and steel surfaces, granted. But plastic is just that, plastic, and that being a relatively modern development. You can only get a certain level of accuracy with plastic. Plastic can also creep perhaps, crack, deform, and all of that good stuff, over time.

Now begins the renovation. What you are about to see, you may never see again. I would go so far as to bet on that, even.

The first thing to do is to separate the latitude-axis from the RA-body...

latitude axis3.jpg

You don't have to remove it, if you don't want to, if you want to keep those plastic washers. Hee hee.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Next, to separate the DEC-axis from the RA-axis, I first remove the plastic cover over the mounting-plate for a motor-drive, then just two socket-cap screws as shown, and to finally separate the axes...

axes separation.jpg

Each axis, the parts thereof, therein, are all secured together with an aluminium, disk-type lock-nut, with two divots and set-screws. The RA-axis' lock-nut...

RA-nut2b.jpg

The three set-screws must be loosened, backed off and away from the RA-pipe, and before un-screwing the lock-nut. The access to each set-screw is through here...

RA-nut access.jpg
RA-nut access.jpg (24.83 KiB) Viewed 16269 times

One at a time, the axis is rotated to expose the socket for each set-screw, then to insert a hex-key and have at it.

For un-screwing the lock-nut afterwards, I made a special tool of oak and galvanised nails with their tips blunted. I had to make two actually, one for each axis...

two tools.jpg

That way, I didn't have to order anything online, and wait for it, interminably.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Once the lock-nut for the RA-axis was removed, I encountered the first of two of the ball-bearing assemblies within said axis...

RA-axis2b.jpg

Synta began to include ball-bearing assemblies for the Celestron CG5 and the CG5-GT to better support the 8" and perhaps the 9.25" Schmidt-Cassegrains in kit-form. I have read that some do not like ball-bearings within their mounts, and this perhaps being due to imaging concerns, certainly not for visual-use I would think. In any event, I was thrilled to see that they were included within this mount-head. Just before pulling these axes apart, I also removed their worm-assemblies, and to be enhanced later.

The RA-axis, exploded...

RA-axis exploded2.jpg

I was very pleased with what I found inside. There was no swarf, metal filings or shavings, and all of the bearing surfaces were not only un-painted, but mirror-polished. Also, the grease applied within was of a much lighter viscosity than the typical glue-like grease encountered in the past, although this mount-head was not entirely free of the latter.

The body of the RA-axis also contains the second ball-bearing assembly, and sealed...

forward bearing specs3.jpg

The components of the RA-axis were cleaned/de-greased and set aside. I have found that charcoal-lighting fluid, a light grade of kerosene, cuts through the greases encountered within these mounts almost instantly, and thoroughly...

RA de-greasing.jpg

RA de-greased.jpg

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

It was a long, hard road, fraught with dangers, leading up to the lock-nut of the DEC-axis...

DEC-nuts.jpg

It is there, and only there, within the setting-circle assemblies of both axes, that I encountered Synta's signature "glue grease".

The DEC lock-nut has only two set-screws, one less than that of the RA-axis, and are more easily accessed.

At last, the DEC-axis, exploded...

DEC-axis exploded2.jpg

More plastic washers; when will it ever end? Oh, it already has, as this is the last section of the head to be explored.

Much to my disappointment, there were no ball-bearing assemblies within the axis. Looks like I'll have to do something about that.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

I found a place to add a needle-thrust bearing for the DEC-axis, so I ordered one 30x47x2(mm) bearing from VXB Bearings in California...

DEC NTB.jpg

I wanted to place it inside...

DEC NTB4a.jpg

...so to let the weight of a telescope bear down upon it. But placing it there would've thrown everything off. So I placed it on the opposite side, the outside...

DEC NTB2.jpg

There, it snapped into place, so I removed paint, then ground and polished the wall of the well round a bit until the bearing spun freely with a toothpick...

DEC NTB4g.jpg

Better there than nowhere at all; every little bit helps, or hurts?

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

As of this posting, the mount-head has long been re-assembled, but I just now took this photograph, and of the original washers and what-not that were provided by the factory...

refuse.jpg

The image is titled "refuse", for that is precisely what they are.

Whatever, whichever, did I use in their collective stead?

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The four, main, plastic washers, and two for each axis...

washers2.jpg

...are 0.020" in thickness. I tried to get away with 0.008" in thickness, of the replacement material, as I didn't think the plastic washers to be that precise. Indeed, otherwise, they were rather ill-fitting. In addition, you can see a short straight cut on the outside circumference of the plastic washer at far right. After trial and error, it turned out that 0.020" in thickness is correct, and for whichever material is used as a replacement.

McMaster-Carr to the rescue...

bronze2.jpg

...a 6" wide by 50" long by 0.020" thick roll of phosphor-bronze. Bronze is known to outlast iron-based machinery into which it is placed. However, the mount-head is overwhelmingly of aluminium, even the axes' worm-gears.

I didn't dare unfurl the roll indoors, so I took it out to the shed. Once the thick cardboard band was severed, the roll unfurled instantly, violently...

bronze3.jpg

Mohs...

Aluminium: 2.75
Bronze: 3.0

Although, phosphor-bronze, with tin as the alloying element, instead of zinc, and with a "pinch" of phosphorus, may be a bit harder, to 3.5 perhaps, I do not know for certain. Steel is at 4.0. The chemical-analysis...

bronze2d.jpg

Plastic is softer no doubt, but with a high-quality grease used in conjunction, the phosphor-bronze should co-exist in harmony with the aluminium.

I also have an ample supply of 0.008" thick phosphor-bronze, for the smaller washers and what-not for the head...

bronze.jpg
Last edited by Sky Tinker on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

I had gotten a Grizzly Industrial metal-working lathe about twenty years ago, one of or the smallest. I bought it on a whim, and I've yet to use it. But over the years, it has become fouled with rust and dirt. I will be restoring it eventually. I could have used it to make these washers of bronze, but I would've needed special attachments and what-not, in addition to renovating the lathe beforehand. So much for that.

Another tool I had gotten from Grizzly Industrial, way back then, was this G1257 scroll-saw...

Grizzly 1257.jpg

At the time, I didn't know anything about it, but in hindsight it happens to be one of the discontinued treasures of the past. It's of cast-iron throughout. For several years, it sat outdoors in the Sun and rain, until I had a use for it again, whereupon I cleaned it up. No harm was done, as you can see. Incidentally, bronze is non-ferrous, as is aluminium.

My local Harbor Freight had 6" and 12" all tool-steel compasses. The 6" was ideal, at right...

compasses2.jpg

It's all about circles, you know, and the tips of those arms serve as scribers in their own right; no need whatsoever to insert a scriber into the compass's holder.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

I did not use the washers themselves to make the replacements, oh no. Rather, I used the parts of the mount-head with which the washers interact. Other than their thicknesses, I wouldn't trust making replacements with those originals in so far as I might throw them.

The specs for the four, main washers, and the parts by which the measurements were determined...

The RA primary-washer...

RA primary washer.jpg

That washer rests on no part of the primary, sealed bearing, only upon its frame round.

The RA secondary-washer...

RA secondary washer.jpg
RA secondary washer.jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 16244 times

Note the narrow ledge all round upon which the RA secondary-washer rests...

RA secondary washer2.jpg

Therefore, it's critical to finish the inner-diameter as precisely, as snugly, as possible.

The DEC primary-washer...

DEC specs.jpg

It, too, rests upon a narrow ledge all round, as indicated at right. Note the mirror-finish of the ledge.

The DEC secondary-washer...

DEC specs2.jpg
DEC specs2.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 16244 times

The washers from these measurements required some adjustment after removing them from the bronze sheets. This was done with a Dremel tool using grinding-stones and sanding-drums. Sand-papers of varying grits and #0000 steel-wool were also used to finish and polish the new washers, along with lemon-scented furniture oil, which I use as a machine-oil, never for fine furniture, oh no...

Holloway House.jpg

There's also a brand called "Old English". Either will serve.
Last edited by Sky Tinker on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The specs for the smaller washers of the axes, at their respective lock-nuts...

For the secondary, open ball-bearing ring of the RA-axis, its enclosures are of a metal that is barely magnetic...

RA secondary ball-bearing.jpg

Therefore, I have to assume that they contain at least a little iron. I don't want steel wearing against steel, nor against aluminium, so, they were replaced.

It just so happens that each enclosure is 0.020" in thickness. How about that. However, the inner-diameters of the new enclosures actually differ slightly, by almost 1mm...

RA secondary ball-bearing washer specs.jpg

The specs for the new washers that will enclose the needle-thrust bearing for the DEC-axis...

DEC specs3.jpg
DEC specs3.jpg (29.97 KiB) Viewed 16244 times

I don't want that steel bearing wearing against the aluminium, either.

Incidentally, the needle-thrust bearing replaces this plastic washer...

DEC small plastic washer.jpg

The bearing with its 0.020" thick bronze enclosures will be somewhat thicker than that measurement, but no matter, as the DEC setting-circle assembly will still have enough room for its installation.

Fun fact: did you know that this mount-head has not forgotten its origins? Underneath its rather elegant form, it is still a pipe-mount...

RA & DEC pipes.jpg
RA & DEC pipes.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 16244 times

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Amazing work and outstanding photos!

Looks like you are getting close!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:44 am Amazing work and outstanding photos!

Looks like you are getting close!
Thank you! At last, I have an EQ5-class mount once again.

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Precision engineering there ST!

Your thread is a great read.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

That is some seriously nice work! Great pics and detail to boot; well done and good for you! Looks great too :D

All the best and thanks for the tips included (BBQ lighter fluid, never would have thought of that...),
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The time came to create the new washers. Round midnight one night, I stepped outside; the lay, the trees, brightly illuminated by fairest Luna in her fullness. Then, facing south, I extended my arms upward towards the sky, and mumbled something or other incoherently. Afterwards, I went back inside and got to work.

A portion of the 0.020" thick bronze roll; glamour shot, "Look this way my darling! No! Not that way! This way!"...

bronze3b.jpg
bronze3b.jpg (25.14 KiB) Viewed 16234 times

The first thing to do was to describe the sheet in half, find the centers of each half, drill or punch a very small hole, with a carbide-bit or brad, for each, and for the compass...

DEC washers.jpg

The four RA-washers described...

RA washers.jpg

Note where the compass-point had skipped, at right, although within no-man's land.

The four DEC-washers described, and shown here with the pilot-holes drilled out for the scroll-saw's blade...

DEC washers2.jpg

My work-area, aside the shed I built; the scaffolding in the background, for my acrophobia, albeit mild, was used to shingle the roof...

RA washers3b.jpg

That particular scroll-saw tends to walk, when placed on a floor or table, but not in the least little bit when sat upon two weathered 2x4s supported by saw-horses.

I prefer to work at night, rather, 'neath the Moon and stars above, albeit with artificial-lighting...

RA washers3.jpg

I do not saw these washers out precisely, as the sawing operation will not allow for that. It would be too easy to saw into the washers themselves whilst guiding, but I do get close enough for government-work...

DEC washers4a.jpg

DEC washers3.jpg

The outer-diameters of the washers are then defined with metal-cutting shears, or "tin snips"...

DEC washers7.jpg

Note that the outer-diameters are still a bit rough, although the inner-diameters have been ground out. There, they were neither finished nor polished, nay, sculpted, quite yet.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

I have an assortment of blades for the scroll-saw. Among them are these pin-less "jeweller" blades, hence the adaptors for the scroll-saw's pinned-blade interface...

scroll-saw blades.jpg

However, I broke several of those whilst sawing through the 0.020" thick bronze, until I learned how to be a bit gentler with them. I also used blades for wood, fine-toothed, as bronze, again, is non-ferrous...

scroll-saw blades2.jpg
scroll-saw blades2.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 16230 times

Those did not break whilst sawing, although they saw a bit roughly, and with extra care required.

This is where I had to carefully and slowly "sculpt" the inner-diameter of the DEC-axis' still-rough primary-washer, and until it just dropped, slipped over the drum...

DEC washers4da.jpg

The same was done for the RA-axis' secondary-washer, and over its drum. Both of those washers are the ones that rest upon very narrow ledges all round.

Actually, every last washer for this mount-head was precisely sized as possible; "fine tuned", if you will.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The RA primary-washer, finished, but not yet polished...

RA-bearing washers.jpg

The finished, and polished, washers, at last...

The DEC primary-washer, its position within the axis illustrated within the previous reply...

DEC washers4e.jpg
DEC washers4e.jpg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 16226 times

Incidentally, this bronze is most smooth after polishing; yea, skin-like, flesh-like. Only brass and copper share this characteristic, of course. However, aluminium and steel do not.

The DEC secondary-washer was a chore and a half. I measured the outer-diameter accurately, so I thought, and with a Mitutoyo digital-caliper to boot. In the end, it took a while to get this one to drop in, and turn without binding...

DEC washers5c.jpg

What makes a primary-washer a primary-washer? Why, it's the washer positioned at the teeth of a worm-gear, in relation to the worm-assembly, naturally. The secondary-washers simply support the worm-gears from their backsides.

The RA primary-washer, and its position within the axis...

RA primary washer3ca.jpg

The RA secondary-washer...

RA secondary washer3ba.jpg

That's not a gouge into the washer, but only a blemish on the surface, and caused by a wayward grinding-stone. It was polished in the end, just not polished completely out.

The outer-diameters of both primary-washers for the RA and DEC axes were finished to where the teeth of the worm-gears were visible when seen from overhead; the RA-washer at left, and the DEC-washer at right...

RA & DEC primary washers.jpg

This ensures that the outer-diameters do not interfere with the union of the worm and gear.

It is here, yea, here I say, and where the Earth is made to stand still...

RA primary washer3.jpg

...and with this Celestron 9V battery-powered motor-drive...

7a.jpg

It has been done before, not by me, yet, and successfully, with EQ3- and EQ5-class mounts. However, the RA worm-shaft and the axis itself must rotate freely, easily, with no binding anywhere along their revolutions whatsoever, smooth as butter. Else, you'll risk damaging the drive.