Renovation of an EQ5-class Mount

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Renovation of an EQ5-class Mount

Post by Sky Tinker »

Hi Jim. I had gotten the full 16" extension from Orion some years ago, and for the Celestron CG-4...

pier3.jpg
pier3.jpg (15.51 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

But 16"? Madness, for myself anyway. I took it to a friend of my late father, who had a chop-saw...

pier extension.jpg

I used the section on the right. It's at 8", half of 16", and with an accuracy of 1/64th of an inch all round.

I do wish it had been made of aluminium instead of dead-common steel. The pier for my larger alt-azimuth is of aluminium...

pier extension.jpg

At least I cut the weight in half.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Renovation of an EQ5-class Mount

Post by Sky Tinker »

Forget iOptron and Vixen. I ordered this...

https://on-stage.com/products/view/11140/471270

...and from a Reverb seller, for $21.57, shipped.

We'll see how that flies.

Here are a couple of reviews I found online, at least one pertaining to that astronomical instead...

"I really had no need for the 11 lb Celestron weight and some one told me about these. They fit right on the weight bar and you do not have to remove the safety knob at the bottom to install and remove them. With the 3 lb and the 6 lb, I have all the weight I need right now, Plus they are smaller around, so you can move them all the way to the top and not worry about hitting anything on the mount. The lock knobs have a soft plastic or rubber tip, so it will not mark up the bar." - Michael

I assume that they have an "AVX", at least.

Then there was this one...

"Perfect size and weight for the Impact boom stands. No more hassles no matter how big the reflector used." - mediclimber

That had me confused, at first. All of that has to do with lighting. Of course, the rest of you probably knew that already.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth