Renovation of an EQ5-class Mount

Tell us about those other projects you are working on.
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Renovation of an EQ5-class Mount

Post by Sky Tinker »

The smaller washers for the RA and DEC axes, and at their respective lock-nuts...

The washers to enclose the secondary RA ball-bearing assembly...

RA secondary ball-bearing3.jpg

I made two shims, 0.008" thick, for the inner-diameter of the bearing, and to keep said diameter of steel from oscillating and contacting the threads of the aluminium pipe...

RA secondary ball-bearing3c.jpg

I'd rather have bronze contacting said threads instead.

The washers to enclose the DEC needle-thrust bearing...

DEC washers7d.jpg

DEC washers7e.jpg
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Time to re-assemble the axes...

I use Super Lube for my mounts and what-not...

Super Lube.jpg

Super Lube - detail.jpg
Super Lube - detail.jpg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 7474 times

The parts for the DEC-axis...

DEC components.jpg

All parts were greased where required...

1.jpg
1.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 7474 times
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
5.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 7474 times

I brought the DEC lock-nut to a dead-stop, then backed it off an eighth to a sixth of a turn, but not a full fourth, then battened down its set-screws.

7.jpg
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The re-assembly of the RA-axis; the best axis for last...

1.jpg
1.jpg (32.95 KiB) Viewed 7473 times

3b.jpg

5b.jpg

7.jpg

10b.jpg

Only one shim was required. You can see the other in the background...

15b.jpg

I brought the RA lock-nut to a dead-stop, then backed it off an eighth to a sixth of a turn, but not a full fourth, then battened down its set-screws. Of course, adjustments to both lock-nuts may be required in future.

Here you can see the secondary RA-washer peeking through the holes, and with my knowing that it's resting upon that narrow ledge round...

17.jpg

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

How are the motions of each axis, when I grab each with one hand, then rotate it with the other?

Unless you do what I have done to my own, you'll never know.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The worm-assemblies of the RA and DEC axes are identical, interchangeable...

RA-worm3.jpg
RA-worm3.jpg (28.63 KiB) Viewed 7472 times

worm-nut tool5.jpg

RA-worm4.jpg

Hmm, no washers. What a pity...

worm washers7.jpg

worm washers5.jpg
worm washers5.jpg (24.56 KiB) Viewed 7472 times

worm washers4.jpg
worm washers4.jpg (32.5 KiB) Viewed 7472 times

worm washers3.jpg

Both worm-assemblies were then greased and re-assembled...

RA-worm5d.jpg

The worm-assemblies for the RA and DEC axes were installed and adjusted; that of the RA-axis shown...

RA-worm7.jpg

Uh, er, butter-smooth, most easily and quickly twisted with the thumb and forefinger? Precisely, and to where there should be a law against it.

Ah, but not that of the DEC-axis, I'm sorry to say. I now know, for the most part, why I couldn't twist the DEC worm-shaft at all, barely the axis itself, upon the mount-head's arrival. The clamp-assemblies weren't even installed! But then, it's the DEC-axis.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Actually, once the worm-assembly was installed for the DEC-axis, its worm-shaft spun round just as freely and quickly as that of the RA-axis. But then, the trouble started when I installed this atop the DEC-axis' body...
DEC saddle.jpg
DEC saddle.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 7466 times
...the saddle for a telescope. It simply bolts on with two socket-head screws. I noticed that once the saddle was installed, it seemed to bear down on top of the worm-block. After the saddle was installed, the worm-shaft became more difficult to rotate. I will never attach a motor-drive to the DEC-axis, as I'm a visual-observer only, and with the odd afocal-shot taken on occasion. What little I would ever rotate the worm-shaft, and to correct a wayward polar-alignment, can be done with a slow-motion cable, or knob. Still, I didn't appreciate the worm-shaft tightening up like that, not at all, but hey, what can you expect from a $150 mount-head.

This is an image that I took upon the mount-head's arrival. Along that line, indicated, you can see how tight-fitting the connection is, and just above the worm-assembly...

saddle fitting issue3j.jpg

Firstly, I removed the paint from the underside of the saddle, but that wasn't much of an improvement, if any...

saddle fitting issue1.jpg
saddle fitting issue1.jpg (28.47 KiB) Viewed 7466 times

But then, I elevated the saddle...

saddle fitting issue2.jpg

saddle fitting issue3ib.jpg

saddle fitting issue3h.jpg

saddle fitting issue3g.jpg

saddle plate.jpg

After that, when I tightened the saddle down yet again, I was able to twist the worm-shaft much more easily, but still not to the level as that of the RA-axis. My best guess is that the threaded holes into which the two bolts are screwed were not drilled and tapped square and true. Once the bolts are tightened, a warping within that area occurs. In any event, I could perhaps add a motor-drive to the worm-shaft now, without fear of damaging same, but only in someone else's dreams.

Indeed, I was livid upon that discovery of Synta's glaring lack of quality-control, but all's well that ended well.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

To re-visit the beginning of the mount-head's dis-assembly, the latitude-axis...

Paint was removed, and areas ground-down, evened-up and levelled...

latitude axis8.jpg

The aluminum washers on the left, but of two differing thicknesses...

latitude axis - washers2.jpg

The upgrade completed...

latitude axis - washers3.jpg

latitude axis7.jpg

I wasn't about to source bronze for that. The aluminium is fine. Indeed, now the axis motions smoothly, yet slowly, when force is applied, like the very thick door of a bank-vault upon closing; no more stiff jerkiness. I despise plastic within my mounts, and telescopes, but we do what we can do with what we have.

The axes were then re-assembled...

reassembled.jpg

One day, I ordered a solid-brass rod, 10mm in diameter...

brass rod4.jpg

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The clamping parts for the axes...

clamp parts.jpg

But that's not all of them, oh no...

Buttons...

buttons.jpg
buttons.jpg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 7464 times

...black, plastic, buttons. Those two buttons have no business whatsoever being inside my mount-head.

Many years ago, I ordered a special tool from the Preac Tool company of Bellmore, New York...

Preac table-saw.jpg

It came with two options: a small table, and a large table. As you can see, I splurged. Sadly, the company, and the owner, are no longer with us.

Brass is non-ferrous, too...

brass rod3.jpg
brass rod3.jpg (10.01 KiB) Viewed 7464 times

Preac table-saw2.jpg

brass rod - Preac5b.jpg

clamp buttons2ea.jpg

Glamour shot of the finished, bevelled, brass buttons...

clamp buttons2ha.jpg
clamp buttons2ha.jpg (17.91 KiB) Viewed 7464 times

Aside from the habit of making a metal replacement for a plastic part thinner and/or smaller, I wanted to ensure that the clamping-levers engaged with their stops...

clamp-lever stop.jpg

...so I made the new brass buttons a little thinner than those unspeakable.

I could've made the brass button for the DEC-clamp the same thickness as the others, yea, thicker even, but there's still enough clearance between the lever and the body; in the locked position...

DEC clamp.jpg

If it ever proves to be a problem, I can make another, and thicker.

Alas, here we go again: yet another problem with Synta's quality-control. Once I installed the clamp-lever for the RA-axis, it clamped just fine, but when unlocked the lever was too loose, sloppy, wiggly, so I installed a 0.005" thick aluminium shim into the threaded hole, about halfway round...

RA clamp shim.jpg

...fixed. As to the shim's longevity, your guess is as good as my own. I can always make another, or one of brass, or bronze perhaps.

It just so happens that a fellow member within another astronomy forum had the exact same problem, in the exact same spot, and with their Sky-Watcher EQ-5. Sounds like a going concern.

These are Chinese clones of those Japanese, but something got lost in the translation.

Both axes, with the clamps engaged, do not move, at all, even when a bit of force is applied. No need to apply more force to test, and risk damaging the outside surfaces of the worm-gears. What I did was quite satisfactory.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Oh dear, the DEC-axis is upside down...

DEC setting circle.jpg
DEC setting circle.jpg (42.2 KiB) Viewed 7458 times

Incidentally, after the renovation, the DEC-axis could not stay upright, with the clamps dis-engaged, as it did when it first arrived, and without the clamps installed...

LX70d.jpg

It was simply bound up, and now we know why.

The reason I have the mount-head on its tripod, and with the DEC-axis upside-down, means that it's time to re-install the DEC setting-circle assembly...

DEC setting circle3.jpg
DEC setting circle3.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 7458 times

That single clear-plastic washer is actually two washers, but I didn't know it at the time...

DEC setting circle - old washers.jpg
DEC setting circle - old washers.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 7458 times

Both were under the setting-circle, and with a generous amount of Synta's signature glue-grease...

DEC setting circle3b.jpg
DEC setting circle3b.jpg (31.07 KiB) Viewed 7458 times

I had to wonder why one wasn't on one side of the setting-circle and the other on the other side. I corrected that, but not with those washers, oh no...

DEC setting-circle washers2b.jpg

...with those of 0.008" thick bronze rather...

DEC setting-circle washers3da.jpg

DEC setting-circle washers3e.jpg

With that, the DEC-axis was completed, and with the setting-circle rotating easily and smoothly.
Last edited by Sky Tinker on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The mount-head, the RA-axis, came with this fitting for a polar-scope, again, that is no longer extant...

secondary RA-dial.jpg
secondary RA-dial.jpg (21.04 KiB) Viewed 7457 times

...and with a broken thumbscrew, but of no consequence.

The reverse; note the three cushioning pads...

secondary RA-dial2.jpg
secondary RA-dial2.jpg (18.65 KiB) Viewed 7457 times

...and for this polar-scope, also others like it which are no longer available...

Hence, no use for that fitting; why include it? I imagine it's simply to hold the setting-circle assembly together during transit, is my best guess.

In any event, I wanted a polar-scope for this mount. I had gotten one for my Celestron CG-4...

polar scope2.jpg

But I couldn't scavenge that one for this EQ5-class mount. Polar-scopes for EQ3-class mounts screw onto the RA-pipe, whilst those for EQ5-class mounts screw into the pipe...

polar scopes.jpg

There has been some confusion as to that distinction, online. Curiously, the Sky-Watcher HEQ5 requires an EQ3-type polar-scope; no rhyme nor reason.

Meade's polar-scope for my LX70 mount-head is no longer available. Orion, of California, which bought out Meade, wants a grand total, with shipping, of $80 for theirs. Celestron's, for the AVX and others, doesn't come with a setting-circle, nor the retaining-rings for same...

The advent of go-to equatorial mounts, without the need for setting-circles, were responsible for that, I imagine.

I then found one, branded "Astromania", and for half the price of the Orion. Astromania's Amazon listing stated...

Incidentally, this is the new reticle...

The Astromania polar-scope finally arrived...

Astromania polar-scope8.jpg
Astromania polar-scope8.jpg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 7457 times

Astromania polar-scope10.jpg
Astromania polar-scope10.jpg (22.11 KiB) Viewed 7457 times

It's indistinguishable from the name-brand units; well-made, solid, and not a speck to be seen when looking through it. Agena Astro sells the Celestron units, and with this disclaimer...

"Please note: It is rather common to have a few or many teeny-tiny dots or dust particles on the reticle glass in this and other Celestron polar finders. These are not made to the same optical standards as eyepieces and other accessories. However, these wil have no practical impact on the operation and use of this accessory, and they will barely be visible in the dark, if at all. What we sell is a new, authorized Celestron product but please do not purchase this item if you are not comfortable with this issue."

I held it up to a light...

Astromania polar-scope12.jpg

...the same old reticle. I then contacted Astromania. This was their reply...

Astromania reply - 080921.jpg

This time round, the polar-scope was shipped from China...

8.jpg

I held the second one up to a light...

10.jpg

...the new reticle. I now have two polar-scopes for this mount-head, and with differing reticles. How about that. That worked out to be about $20 for each.

Now, I've never aligned a polar-scope with a mount before. I suppose I'll be using Polaris when I attempt it.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

It did not turn out to be practical in attempts to contemplate, then to add bronze washers, or any washers, to the RA setting-circle assembly. This is the only component in relation to the mount-head, the time-dial. Glamour shot...
RA setting-circle.jpg
RA setting-circle.jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 7454 times
I greased the dial a bit, inserted it, then inserted the new polar-scope, and with its date-dial...

Astromania polar-scope 11b.jpg
Astromania polar-scope 11b.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 7454 times

...a 3mm wide gap. I looked online, at the Japanese "holotypes", and there were no gaps, not a one. I can't move the date-dial forward to meet up with the time-dial.

As a result, the time-dial eventually works its way out of its well, and hangs there, wonkily. That's another thing that got lost in the translation.

In the end, I ordered a 3mm thick sheet of aluminium. I've never had aluminium this thick amongst my rolling-stock of metals...

3.07mm aluminum.jpg

3.07mm aluminum2.jpg

3.07mm aluminum3.jpg

3.07mm aluminum4.jpg
3.07mm aluminum4.jpg (26.32 KiB) Viewed 7454 times

Glamour shot...

gap filler18.jpg

gap filler18b.jpg

gap filler18c.jpg

"Look Ma! No Gap!"

I did have to move/rotate the date-dial's retaining-rings back, but only slightly, to fine-tune the spacing. It turned out quite well, that.

For the cover, for the polar-scope, the factory provided a rather thick piece of felt, as a shim, bless 'em...

RA rear cap2.jpg
RA rear cap2.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 7454 times

Much too thick, so I made another of much thinner flocking...

RA-cap flocking.jpg
RA-cap flocking.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 7454 times

RA-cap flocking2.jpg

RA-cap flocking3.jpg

Fits like a glove, quite snugly so as not to dislodge easily, then to fall off, and stepped on, cracking it into little pieces; how sad.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

I have no delusions as to those setting-circles, knowing full well that they are about as useful as that proverbial of a boar.

But they are awfully pretty. I might just sit there, whilst observing, reach over, spin them round and about, like one of those anxiety-relief aids.

<sigh> I will be making an attempt, albeit feeble, to try and make use of them, for kicks and giggles.

I did make a 0.008" thick bronze washer for that assembly...

RA setting-circle washer.jpg

RA setting-circle washer2.jpg

Glamour shot...

RA setting-circle washer4.jpg
RA setting-circle washer4.jpg (19.39 KiB) Viewed 7449 times

...and to fit here, before the time-dial...

RA setting-circle washer3b.jpg
RA setting-circle washer3b.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 7449 times

It's the narrowest of the washers I made, a personal triumph. I may go ahead and put it back, if I can find it, if it wasn't damaged in my throwing and tossing things about whilst continuing to work. If it's lost, for all time, I won't be making another.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Found it...

RA setting-circle washer4b.jpg

It was laying round the work area, now tarnished somewhat as a result, what little Super Lube that once graced and protected it, gone.

The mount-head is, essentially, completed...

mount head.jpg

...save for these...

latitude-scale covers.jpg
latitude-scale covers.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 7449 times

I so do not want to glue those back on. I've been anguishing, as to a solution, and I haven't come up with anything yet.

Aside from that, this is it. The only other, manual EQ5-class equatorial available in the States is the Orion "SkyView Pro". Incidentally, I used to see manual EQ6-class mounts, some years ago, online, but those have gone the way of the Dodo.

Then, perhaps Orion will jump-start Meade, back up again.

Another thing that I was able to salvage from my old Vixen GP-DX was its lone counter-weight, an 8.2-pounder...

Vixen 8-pounder.jpg
Vixen 8-pounder.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 7449 times

At the time, all I had was gloss-red. I bought a new can recently, gloss-orange, as orange is blue's complement. I'll have to strip off the red first.

These now rusty-black 11-pounders, one with a broken knob, were also had back then, and for balancing my 8" f/5 Parks Optical Newtonian, which didn't pan out, but then I used only one to balance my apochromat on the GP-DX...

Vixen GPD weights.jpg
legacy2c.jpg
legacy2c.jpg (28.89 KiB) Viewed 7449 times

Both were well-matched. Indeed, when using an equatorial, you have what are practically two telescopes mounted, and that being one aspect that deters potential users of these mounts, regrettably.

Then, I have these, the 4-pounder and 7-pounder from the CG-4, along with the 11-pounder that came with this new mount-head...

Vixen, Celestron, Meade weights.jpg

I'm all set, although I would like a Vixen 2-pounder, once they're available again, if ever, and for my smallest of telescopes.

For now, thanks for reading.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Glamour shots of the completed mount...

finis5b.jpg

finis9.jpg

finis4.jpg

finis4b.jpg

It's something of a whopper, although I didn't have too much difficulty, with its 11-pounder still attached, in lifting it, leaning it against my frame, then to carry it about 70 feet or so to this spot in front of the shed...

finis8.jpg

The cinder-block on the wee porch is for scale.

By the by, I now have a wonderful solution for attaching the plastic covers, besides glue, onto the latitude-axis. My smaller diameter, thinner neodymium-magnets...

latitude-axis covers - magnets2.jpg

Within the preceding images, the plastic covers for the latitude-axis are being held by the magnets, but it's only double-sided tape holding the magnets onto the covers' inner sides. The magnets are not touching the bolt, and will not need to in future. I will be attaching the magnets with other than tape, J-B Weld epoxy most likely, and spaced to where they will almost touch the head and tip of the bolt, but not quite.

The solution for the plastic covers pertains only to myself, as there is no real need to remove them in the first place. But I will tell you this: I noticed that the RA-axis was not quite set to my latitude, so I adjusted it, and O how smoothly it motioned; luxurious; again, like the thick door of bank-vault whilst closing.

Incidentally, when I had cut down and painted the pier-extension, several years ago, and painted it "safety blue", little did I know just how prophetic that choice of colour would be...

prophetic.jpg

At present, I'm thinking about making an aluminium spacer for the gap between the saddle and DEC-housing, to epoxy it onto the underside of the saddle's rim...

DEC saddle plate2.jpg

That would help to keep debris from entering the gap over time.

Alas, I wouldn't have to think of these things if Synta had been "on the ball".

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

I removed the taped magnets from the inner sides of the covers for the altitude/latitude-axis, and polished both...

latitude-axis covers - polished.jpg

Aren't they lovely? :happy-hippy:

The cover printed with the degree-scale was fairly easy to pop off when I began this project, but not the blank one. As a result, the edge of the blank cover was damaged a little, with a scratch over onto the bevelled surface, indicated by the red arrow, and a rough edge in that same area. I first scraped the excess off of the scratch, "painted" it with acetone to smooth it, then polished the entire cover with Colgate® toothpaste, then Pond's® original cold-cream, and with my finger-tips only. The printed cover was polished with the cold-cream only. Both covers had some light and micro scratches in addition.

The relatively large scratch is still there on the blank cover, but noticed only via this macro-shot and a brilliant LED-light...

latitude-axis covers - polished2.jpg
latitude-axis covers - polished2.jpg (27.65 KiB) Viewed 7414 times

It was quite noticeable before, just looking at it from two feet, more or less, distant. :laughing-rollingred:

The small, neodymium magnets are 1.5mm in thickness. The depth of the inner side of both caps, 5mm. The head of the bolt, in relation to the blank cover, protrudes about 1mm into same. The tip of the bolt, in relation to the printed cover, protrudes about 2mm into same.

Hence, the magnet for the blank cover will need a 2mm riser, and a 1mm riser for the magnet of the printed cover. Once the risers are integrated, there will be about 0.5mm of spacing between the magnets and the two ends of the bolt; again, not quite touching.

When I had gone out to remove the covers, with their magnets taped in still, the printed cover was harder to remove, as its magnet was closer to its end of the bolt, the tip.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Fortunately, as fortune does favour the foolish, the inner sides of the covers each had a small moulding mark in the center, however vague. I then took my mini drill-press with a carbide drill-bit and drilled them out slightly for a compass leg-tip to nestle within...

latitude-axis covers - magnets3.jpg

Incidentally, the magnet for the blank cover can be off-center, if one is cross-eyed, but the magnet for the printed cover must be dead-center, thus requiring a right good rap to the head. :angry-banghead:

The risers for the magnets, and from a 1mm-thick aluminium scrap-sheet...

latitude-axis covers - magnets3b.jpg

The risers were then cut out with "tin snips", and dressed...

latitude-axis covers - magnets3c.jpg

The two at far right will be epoxied together, and for the blank cover.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The magnets, and their risers, have been epoxied in place...

latitude-axis covers - magnets3d.jpg

The printed cover is on the left, and with only one riser...

latitude-axis covers - magnets3e.jpg

After the epoxy sets a bit, I may add more round the magnets and risers. I do have my mixing-palette with the unused epoxy, a "canary in the coal mine", and to test its setting over time.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Additional epoxy was just added round the magnets and risers...

latitude-axis covers - magnets3f.jpg

...and for peace of mind.

I can still twirl the unused epoxy of the first application round the toothpick, and as I type, therefore this second application should bond well to the first.

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The covers for the latitude-axis gently snap into place...

latitude-axis covers - magnets3g.jpg

The slight spacing between the magnets and the bolt ensure that the covers are able to fully seat.

The RA-axis is aimed at Polaris, more or less, and ready to go with the 70mm f/12.9 achromat attached...

110721c.jpg

The legs of the tripod are fully retracted, save the slight extensions required to level the mount, and per its built-in bubble-level. I expect I'll be keeping the legs retracted mostly, if not always. The lightest, four-pound counter-weight is attached, and the telescope balanced, more or less.

The revolutions amaze and astound. I'll be wanting slow-motion knobs instead.

No, you're not seeing things. I have a new observing-chair. It's much nicer than the old one...

observing chair2.jpg
observing chair2.jpg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 7395 times

Although, I'll not be retiring it, just yet.

I'm going to need a two(to three?)-pound counter-weight. I can get an iOptron 2.2-pound, and a 13/16"(20.7mm) drill-bit to open it up. That would still be somewhat less than the Vixen two-pounder, but only somewhat. The Vixen is nigh insanely priced; two pounds of silver, it seems.

"Those interested in Vixen precision optical products can expect to see them available on Explore Scientific's website as soon as October of this year." - GlobeNewswire

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Alan,

Outstanding read!

Did you fabricate or purchase the pier extension?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/