New Mount Advice!

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New Mount Advice!

Post by Juno16 »

Hi TSS,

I am in a dilemma with the recent demise of my Celectron AVX mount (it had issues, but I took it out trying to repair it).

With the very helpful nod of my CFO, I am in the market for a nice, reliable economical mount to use with my Explore Scientific ED102 (about 14-15 lbs with guider, camera, and FF/FR) and Sharpstar 61 (about 7 lbs ready to image).

Of course, with long lead times in some cases, I have found that some mounts are available.

I am looking at two right now. The Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro and the Ioptron GEM28.

I have not heard anything bad about either mounts (contrary to the AVX). The price range of $1250-$1300 is good for me. At 66, I really don't want to drag a heavier mount outside if a mount like I described will get the job done reasonably.

I am not looking for perfection, just good reliability and consistent performance. Some periodic error is acceptable and sounds much better than random high frequency spikes in RA as I was used to.

Does anyone here have any experience with either mounts?

Thanks a bunch for any comments/advice you can give me!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New Mount Advice!

Post by Star Dad »

Can't say much about the mounts in particular. But I have an ioptron mount and I've had some minor interactions with the company and have found them to be responsive and helpful. Hopefully, you'll never need tech support, but if you do, at least in my experience, they were really helpful. I was going to recommend the Orion EQ-G - but it is probably heavier than you want. I was stunned to find that the mount I paid $1200 for is $1700. And it's been only a couple years ago I bought it. Wow, have prices skyrocketed! Just be sure to have twice the capacity for weight in the mount vs equipment - ie if equipment is 23 pounds - the mount should be rated at 46 pounds. A little less is OK, but not by too much.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Peppy Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Peppy »

1 vote for the HEQ5, I bought a EQ6R last summer and am very pleased with the overall quality of it.
Scopes, SW102/AZ, SW ED80, WO Z61, VRC 6, LX200 Classic 8, ZWO 60MM guide scope, ZWO mini guide scope.Mount,Skywatcher EQ6R-PRO, Ioptron zeq25.
Cams, Player One Uranus C pro, Cannon, T3 self mod, T2i self mod F/S, ZWO 120 mc.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Star Dad wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:51 pm Can't say much about the mounts in particular. But I have an ioptron mount and I've had some minor interactions with the company and have found them to be responsive and helpful. Hopefully, you'll never need tech support, but if you do, at least in my experience, they were really helpful. I was going to recommend the Orion EQ-G - but it is probably heavier than you want. I was stunned to find that the mount I paid $1200 for is $1700. And it's been only a couple years ago I bought it. Wow, have prices skyrocketed! Just be sure to have twice the capacity for weight in the mount vs equipment - ie if equipment is 23 pounds - the mount should be rated at 46 pounds. A little less is OK, but not by too much.
Thanks Star Dad.

Good to hear about the Ioptron tech support. Sounds like the Ioptron mount is working well for you (iEQ30?).

Yeah, the EQ-G and even the EQ-6 are heavier than I want.

Thanks for letting me know! I plan to make a move soon.

Peppy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:06 pm 1 vote for the HEQ5, I bought a EQ6R last summer and am very pleased with the overall quality of it.

Good to hear that!

I am kind of leaning that way, but the Ioptron gem28 looks like a really nice mount too. I am hoping that someone here has one and responds.

What I like about the HEQ5 is that it is tried and true. It would be a nice upgrade from the AVX (especially having a DEC bearing instead of bushings). Many experienced imagers like it.

I saw a post by Carole @carastro on another forum and she uses (or used one at the time) the HEQ5.

Thanks for letting me know your experience Peppy!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Juno16 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 pm At 66, I really don't want to drag a heavier mount outside if a mount like I described will get the job done reasonably.
You should move your mount just once and build an observatory around it! Just kidding, I see your point. My G11S tripod plus head weighs 68 lbs which is not too heavy for 10 steps but I'm going to build a 4x4x5 ft box around it that opens up (viewtopic.php?t=21179). The weight is then no longer a problem and I will get much more benefit from it. The Losmandy HD tripod is as just good as a pier.

Otherwise, unless you control the HEQ5 through the handset you will need to use EQMod. This is what most people recommend. I have used EQMod for the EQStar controller that I briefly tried for my Losmandy G11S and while it works, I am much happier using Ekos. So I would read up on that and verify it and decide if EQMod is what you want.

The direct competitor for my G11S back then was the iOptron CEM60, they seem to be very good. A member from my astro club has a CEM120 and is raving about it. His system has spring loaded gears, and apparently the GEM28 and GEM45 too. That should be good for backlash reduction.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:15 pm
Juno16 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 pm At 66, I really don't want to drag a heavier mount outside if a mount like I described will get the job done reasonably.
You should move your mount just once and build an observatory around it! Just kidding, I see your point. My G11S tripod plus head weighs 68 lbs which is not too heavy for 10 steps but I'm going to build a 4x4x5 ft box around it that opens up (viewtopic.php?t=21179). The weight is then no longer a problem and I will get much more benefit from it. The Losmandy HD tripod is as just good as a pier.

Otherwise, unless you control the HEQ5 through the handset you will need to use EQMod. This is what most people recommend. I have used EQMod for the EQStar controller that I briefly tried for my Losmandy G11S and while it works, I am much happier using Ekos. So I would read up on that and verify it and decide if EQMod is what you want.

The direct competitor for my G11S back then was the iOptron CEM60, they seem to be very good. A member from my astro club has a CEM120 and is raving about it. His system has spring loaded gears, and apparently the GEM28 and GEM45 too. That should be good for backlash reduction.

Thanks a bunch Henk. I already looked up the direct cable on Shoestring Astronomy. I have gone through the HC with the AVX for years, but it would be nice to connect directly. The only thing that I ever used the HC with the AVX for was to do a quick align to turn on tracking. Then use plate solving.

This is going to be a tough call. The Skywatcher has a tried and true reputation of solid performance. A rugged mount that wouldn’t need to be babied.
The Ioptron has some things that I would have to get used to. But a 10 lb mount head is a big plus. I read a 6 page thread on CN earlier and the many folks that owned the Ioptron GEM28 raved about its sub arcsec guiding performance. Yes, spring loaded worms work!
Jim

Peppy Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Peppy »

Juno16 I have a ZEQ25 that I was very happy with, worked well for 5 years then started to give me trouble. Parts are hard to find for that mount so I went for the upgrade.
The skywatchers are much more solid, guiding is great on mine and EQQMod works well with NINA.
Scopes, SW102/AZ, SW ED80, WO Z61, VRC 6, LX200 Classic 8, ZWO 60MM guide scope, ZWO mini guide scope.Mount,Skywatcher EQ6R-PRO, Ioptron zeq25.
Cams, Player One Uranus C pro, Cannon, T3 self mod, T2i self mod F/S, ZWO 120 mc.
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

Hi Jim,

I've got the EQ6R-Pro and am really happy with it but it is heavy. It's like a hummer, solid but heavy. If you are worried about the weight I'd probably go with the lighter mount.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I read through this topic because I bought an AVX for my Astro-Tech 115-mm ED APO, and it has problems that I wrote up here.
(https://www.theskysearchers.com/viewtop ... 43&t=21273)

I also prefer lighter weight instrumentation. The problem is not lifting and carrying, it is setting down and placing. (Similarly, it is easier to walk upstairs than down.) It will be interesting to see how the information flow here develops.

Good luck, Juno16.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Good thread Jim.

Can't help with the choice you're asking about but the time will come when my CGX will need to be put on the tripod every time I used it. Then I will change to a lighter model or put a pier in the middle of the garden patio.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks everyone!

I went ahead and purchased the HEQ5 Pro. I will make a post soon of my first impressions.

Thank you!
Jim

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

I found this thread by chance. Did you buy the mount in question?
or did you make a new thread with your impressions?
thx.
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

messier 111 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:02 am I found this thread by chance. Did you buy the mount in question?
or did you make a new thread with your impressions?
thx.
Hi Jean-Yves,
I probably did make a new thread, but I couldn’t find it.
Yes, I did buy the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro.
It’s getting very close to two years using it and it has worked very well for me.
Of course, you know I use it for a AP but I did use it a few times when I first got it for visual. It performed very well using the HC and go-to’s were spot on.
For a AP it performed decent out of the box.
Some DEC backlash, but much better than my old mount (AVX). Total rms guiding error (arcsec/px) was 0.9-1.3 average which is not bad with my small 61mm scope, but kind of pushing it with my 102mm. Still doable though.
The mount is light and easy to carry in and out of the house. Connection to the pc is great with a direct cable (don’t have to go through the HC).
I like to tweak a bit, so I installed the Rowan belt mod kit to replace the gear drive with belts. It really quieted the mount down and definitely improves guiding (0.8-0.8 total rms error in arcsec/px). It’s an easy mod to do.

I also adjusted the DEC worm gear and DEC backlash is near zero.
So not to make a long story longer, I really really like the mount!
If you have any questions, please let me know
Jim

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Glad it worked out for you Jim, still slaving away on the AVX here - mind you I seem to have got a good one.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Greenman wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:05 pm Glad it worked out for you Jim, still slaving away on the AVX here - mind you I seem to have got a good one.
Yes you do have a good copy.
Mine was okay. It got me started and I learned a lot.
Definitely no regrets except I wish that I allowed a few hundred $$ initially and went with the HEQ5 or Orion Sirius. All about available cash (as we all know).
Jim

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Not so much available cash, as permission.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I have the HEQ5 as well as the HEQ6 , the 5 was getting heavier as I got older but I can still handle it . I mounted my HEQ6 on wheels with leveling feet so now all I have to do is roll it out of my garage level and align it and I am good to go . Both mounts have been very good trackers and have given me no trouble at all .I use them for solar imaging so my tracking does not to be too precise for short videos .There is a kit available that will impove the tracking and eliminate the backlash , I have seen these but have not tried it , they do have good reviews .

https://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa1.htm
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

hi Jim ,
I did a search on google for reviews on the mount and I came across your thread.
I want to have a good mount for my future ts 125mm apo.

the telescope is about 20 pounds with the rings, eyepiece and the diagonal.
It measures nearly 35 inches long.
I will not take a photo.
so I was wondering if this setup was viable?

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

messier 111 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:29 pm hi Jim ,
I did a search on google for reviews on the mount and I came across your thread.

I will not take a photo.

I would think so Jean-Yves. I use is very successfully with my 102mm with an autofocus motor, guidescope, guide camera and main camera. I would say 15-17 lbs.
It is about 32” Long with extenders, focal reducer/field flattener, and main imaging camera.
For a visual scope mount, I think it would be fine.

Maybe some other folks to comment also.

EDIT: If you don’t get any recommendations/comments from visual folks, maybe it would be best to start a new thread.
Jim

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Juno16 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:11 pm
messier 111 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:29 pm hi Jim ,

I will not take a photo.

I would think so Jean-Yves. I use is very successfully with my 102mm with an autofocus motor, guidescope, guide camera and main camera. I would say 15-17 lbs.
It is about 32” Long with extenders, focal reducer/field flattener, and main imaging camera.
For a visual scope mount, I think it would be fine.

Maybe some other folks to comment also.

EDIT: If you don’t get any recommendations/comments from visual folks, maybe it would be best to start a new thread.
Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

― Isaac Asimov