Creating a basic set of eyepieces for your new telescope

Post your comments in regards to recent Articles and Reviews.
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Creating a basic set of eyepieces for your new telescope

Post by Mike Q »

I see this all the time. A newbie asks a question and there are always two or three people who start getting all technical and even my eyes glaze over and they loose me. I dont think it is too far off to say that 85 percent of people in this hobby would get along fine without ever hearing the words exit pupil lol
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Mike Q wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:02 am I see this all the time. A newbie asks a question and there are always two or three people who start getting all technical and even my eyes glaze over and they loose me. I dont think it is too far off to say that 85 percent of people in this hobby would get along fine without ever hearing the words exit pupil lol
True, we like to nerd about EPs (and other equipment to), but we are talking about technology and how you would explain technology without getting technical? Oversimplifying it not good either. The worse advice you can look for is I used that EP and got the great views, or I got this $15 EP of eBay and it is as good as Televue.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Mike Q United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Mike Q »

When I get questions at outreach I explain it in very simple language based on my experience. Then i let them look and decide for themselves. The KISS theory is in full effect. I take it just far enough to see the light bulb come on and thats it. I can explain the scope and its tech without sounding techy. I keep it simple stupid lol
Orion Skyline 10 Inch
Orion XX16G
Stellina
AT102EDL
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sure, at outreach you explain thing in layman's terms. However, when you taken astronomy as a hobby learning ropes enriches the experience.

Also one does not need to understand the theory behind the exit pupil in other to apply it to the EP selection. You take your scope focal ratio - this is your shortest focal length EP. If you scope is F5 that EP would be 5mm. You multiply by 5x or 6x that would be you longest EP (25mm or 30mm for F5 scope). You populate EPs in between by 1.3 to 1.5x factor - done! How hard is that?
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Mike Q wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:37 pm When I get questions at outreach I explain it in very simple language based on my experience. Then i let them look and decide for themselves. The KISS theory is in full effect. I take it just far enough to see the light bulb come on and thats it. I can explain the scope and its tech without sounding techy. I keep it simple stupid lol
Mike, the Sky Searchers is not your typical Outreach audience. We run the full gamut of experience levels here. So, to limit oneself by not talking about all aspects of the exit pupil does not serve the broader readership who regularly frequents these forums. A large percentage of our readership wants to know this information. Those who don't want to know this information can stop reading whenever they choose. Why would you limit knowledge for fear of glazing over someone's eyes, sounds a bit myopic.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Though I love eyepieces and want to know how they work, I made up this article because the average beginner immediately wants to start upgrading before they have really used what they have. What eyepieces should I purchase is as common as what type of telescope should I buy?

This article was made for the first time user and shows them how the telescope and eyepiece relate to each other in a basic manner and gets them a basic set that will work with their telescope. 5 minutes with a pencil and paper = saved €€ on a small budget.

For the well experienced observer or those that are not interested in the technical side, this article will likely not have much for them.
If you are a beginner it will prevent you from purchasing a 65 mm Russell Optics Konig for their 200 mm f/5 Newtonian.

Gabrielle, the optics theory nerd :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

@Mike Q

If you don't care about matching eyepieces to optical tubes then don't read it.
But don't stop or criticise those who do want to match appropriate eyepieces to optics. Understanding/matching exit pupil to entrance pupil is important to maximising light transmission. Matching the shape of the telescopes focal plane to that of the eyepiece is also important. That's why some eyepieces work beautifully in an f10 SCT but perform poorly in a fast newt. My own observing experience has vastly improved since spending some money to match eyepieces to telescope optics

In 2020, I wrote this observing report that tested and explained the effect of poor matching of exit pupil to pupil dilation.

https://theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.p ... 54#p149861

My primary advice to new telescope buyers would be to set aside 1/3 to 1/2 the budget for 1 or 2 decent eyepieces well matched to the primary optic.

regards

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)