August 2021 TSS DSO Challenge from Kent UK

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

August 2021 TSS DSO Challenge from Kent UK

Post by Graeme1858 »

Tonight is the clearest night sky for ages! So I got comfy in the sun lounger with my binoculars and aimed at Sadr. After studying Stellarium earlier I knew that with Sadr at 11 o'clock, about a degree in from the edge of view then M29 would be bang in the centre of view. A small group of 8 or 9 magnitude stars turned out to be a bit too optimistic! But it was fun taking in the view of proper astronomical dark sky again.

So here's an image I captured just over a year ago with my 600D:

M29 - s.png

Moving on to NGC6939 and NGC6946, again after playing with Stellarium earlier I had an idea in my head of where they were. I found Cepheus above his Queen and picked out Alderamin. With a star hop up to Kabalfird and placing it on the edge of my view at about 7 o'clock, C12, the Fireworks Galaxy, NGC6946 should be centred in my field of view. I knew I had positive identification of where I was looking using the two pairs of stars above and below the location of C12. But the galaxy was not visible.

So here's an image of C12 I captured last November on the 5th, fireworks night in the UK! It was a windy night so the quality was not great. It's a great looking face on with dense spiral arms. So named due to the large number of supernovae seen within. Definitely going to give this one another go when I get my SCT set up again.

C12 Fireworks Galaxy s.jpg

I had a quick look for NGC6939 to no avail but I did spend some time just taking it all in. Ending with a look at M13.

Thanks for the targets Alan. Perhaps a bit small for my binoculars but it was good to get out there!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: August 2021 TSS DSO Challenge from Kent UK

Post by kt4hx »

Fine images Graeme, and thank you for the submissions. I didn't select the targets for your binoculars! :lol: Your 9.25" on the other hand should do nicely however.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

kt4hx wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:07 pm Fine images Graeme, and thank you for the submissions. I didn't select the targets for your binoculars! :lol: Your 9.25" on the other hand should do nicely however.

Unfortunately I've not had access to the 9.25" for a few months now. We had the builders in at home so we have been staying in our caravan. I've missed the AP but I have rediscovered the fun that can be had with binoculars!

We're home again now so I should be able to give the September DSO Challenge a good go with the telescope. I'll probably have a look with the binoculars too while the camera is soaking up the photons!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

Nicely done Graeme, loved the description of "how we got there".:)
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:50 pm
kt4hx wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:07 pm Fine images Graeme, and thank you for the submissions. I didn't select the targets for your binoculars! :lol: Your 9.25" on the other hand should do nicely however.

Unfortunately I've not had access to the 9.25" for a few months now. We had the builders in at home so we have been staying in our caravan. I've missed the AP but I have rediscovered the fun that can be had with binoculars!

We're home again now so I should be able to give the September DSO Challenge a good go with the telescope. I'll probably have a look with the binoculars too while the camera is soaking up the photons!

Regards

Graeme
I am sure you've mentioned that being the case before, but like many things, it slipped my mind. But that is good that you are back home and you can have a go. Binoculars are fine instruments indeed, and no observer worth their salt would be without them at hand.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)