M22 First View

Discuss deep sky objects.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

M22 First View

Post by mikemarotta »

Still no joy on M4, but turning to Sagittariius which I know is a rich field, I was stopped by a classic "puffball." No mistaking it. I was able to find it several times and viewed it with several combinations. Oddly, I did not have a notebook with me at the moment, so I did a lot more viewing and then finally came in to fetch the journal. While inside, I checked Sky&Tel's "Interactive Sky Chart." Three targets were close: The Triffid Nebula, the Lagoon Nebula, and M22. Returning outside, it did not take much to settle on my first intuition.

Following the advice from @Don Pensack , I did not let vitrophobia (fear of glass) stop me from using the 5X extender and the 8 mm and 6mm oculars, among others. Like much else, the view did not get better by a quantum leap, only marginally "better" i.e., larger and with fewer stars around it. I viewed from 0040 to 0115 hours. Not having the notebook at first, I had to pay closer attention to the area of the sky. Later, checking my work, I could sketch the asterism I was viewing.
M22 in Sagittarius.jpeg
M22 Sky & Tel.jpg

What's interesting is that I have an M22 coffee cup. Michigan state route 22 runs around the Grand Traverse Bay region. (Look for the "Little Finger" of the "Mitton" at 45N.)
Attachments
M22 smaller.jpg
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Re: M22 First View

Post by Don Pensack »

And M22 is not as bright as M4.
Hmm.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Too bad, that anything below DEC -28° 32' never rises above my horizon.
So at best, M22 gets only about 4.5° above my horizon.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Good for you Mike. From light polluted areas M22 is easier to see than M4 from my experience because it has higher surface brightness which helps it push through the sky glow. It is also one of my favorite globulars. From our dark site house M4 is easily seen in the 8x50 finderscope, whereas M22 is easily seen naked eye.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Don Pensack wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:42 pm And M22 is not as bright as M4.Hmm.
Well, there's a number of considerations. First of all, I take your comment as encouragement. Having stumbled on the dimmer target, the brighter should be easier. So, I will keep trying.

That said, though, I know from other learning, such as lockpicking, that if I try, it only gets more difficult, but if you are just sitting there with a beer, talking to another hacker, the lock pops open. So, too, here, I was not trying to find M22. I just recognized the object for what it was when I "discovered" it with no agenda.

Similarly, I purposelfully sought out some double stars, and some were easier than others, but one night, moving my telescope to align with Mars, I happened on Eta Pisc but in the instant that it was in view, I knew it for a binary and looked it up later. Hard as it was to see naked eye, I might not have been so successful on purpose.

And individual outcomes are variable. Even as peer-validated data, the numbers are just indicators. Eye relief, exit pupil, Bortle numbers, and all that only predict, they do not determine, even your own right eye versus your own left eye.

Just take Bortle, seemingly an empirical value. I look up, no Milky Way, Bortle 8. But one night, I could see Lyra pretty good and Cygnus, too; so I turned the telescope in that direction and saw stars that were not in those constellations. Oh... The Milky Way, of course...

BTW: I subscribe to Amateur Astronomy magazine and I see that you published half a dozen articles there.

Best Regards (and clear skies!)
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

m4-r.jpg
M4 total integrated magnitude: 5.4 size: 36', so average surface brightness (calculated) 13.0
M22 total integrated magnitude: 5.2 size 32', so average surface brightness (calculated) 12.5
so M22 IS a little brighter. Count me as surprised.
Given they culminate only 2.5° apart, I think if you can see one, you'll see the other, though.
Assuming equal light pollution in the sky where they are, and assuming both have been found (which I think is unlikely in this case).
My first view of both was with a 4.25" scope in 1963, and I was only a mile from the downtown in a city of 80K.
I was at 40°N, though, so the altitude was lower than Austin Texas.
This chart should help with finding M4--the circle is 1.1°
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Don Pensack wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:20 pm This chart should help with finding M4--the circle is 1.1°
Thanks. It's clear right now, 23:51 to 0100, at least . So, I took everything outside.
Michael E. Marotta