Anyone going to Stellafane?

See sub forums
Augustus
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Anyone going to Stellafane?

Post by Augustus »

Is anyone planning on going to Stellafane this year? Really excited to bring my homemade scopes to Breezy Hill. I have a few friends who are also going and entering their homemade scopes. Should be a fun weekend of observing and being social again.

Registration is open until August 1st https://stellafane.org/convention/2021/ ... 1-reg.html
Zane Landers
Member: ASNH, BMAS, LHAAC, MHAA, RAC, WAA, WAS
Featured in TIME, National Geographic, The Guardian, Sky & Telescope
Scopes: 24" f/3.5 & 14.7" f/2.9 Dobs w/Nova optics, Orion XT6i, Zhumell Z114, Sears 6335
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Anyone going to Stellafane?

Post by mikemarotta »

I am not much of a traveler and I live in Texas and never been to one of our own TSPs. But Stellafane is considered an important element in the culture of astronomy in the USA.
"... at the STM meeting on 30 January 1924 the name “Stellar Fane” (fane being an archaic word for temple) was unanimously adopted..."
See here: https://aas.org/posts/news/2020/02/mont ... nuary-2020 about "the Woodstock of astronomy."

Have a good time and remember to file a report here for our vicarious edification.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I've always wanted to do a cross country road trip and this is an extra reason besides visiting my son at MIT, which I promised him. If ever I wanted to visit Stellafane maybe now is the time. The road trip takes some preparation and planning but I'll consider it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I've never been but it would be pretty exciting.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I am planning on going to Stellafane as part of my cross country road trip. Let's hope the delta variant does not throw a monkey wrench.

Not sure if I will bring more than my 20x80s and the Tiltall. Perhaps the AVX and the redcat51? Keeping the battery charged will be a problem. Maybe just a barndoor drive with a camera to not carry the weight and minimize the hassle.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Stellafane was a success. Two mostly clear nights, lots of DIY products, good weather. I would go again but perhaps not by car.