iOptron CEM26

Discuss iOptron mounts.
pixelsaurus New Zealand
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

iOptron CEM26

Post by pixelsaurus »

I have just bought an iOptrom CEM26 mount and have the thing parked on the dining room table whilst I play around with my lappy. I have noticed that dec axis opposite the dovetail saddle has a somewhat large hole installed. Just inside the cavity is the iPolar body. The outside of the Dec axis has been machined, and it looks like something should cover the end of the cavity. It just seems a bit odd to me that the iPolar is effectively exposed to the elements, spiders etc. Anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

Mike

Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, Tamron 90mm f/2.5 SP lens
NcStar 20x70 binoculars
iOptron CEM26 Goto EQ Mount, iOptron SkyGuider Pro
iOptron miniGuidescope + QHY5P Guide camera
Pentax K500, Pentax K70, Pentax K1, QHY183C
NexStar Evolution 8 HD Telescope with StarSense, Wedge for NexStar Evolution and SE 6/8
Umbrella, gumboots.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: iOptron CEM26

Post by bobharmony »

That does seem rather odd! Perhaps you could check with the folks you purchased from to see if they forgot to include a cover. Good luck with it, and welcome to TSS.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

DTO Canada
Earth Ambassador

Post by DTO »

pixelsaurus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:42 pm ... I have noticed that dec axis opposite the dovetail saddle has a somewhat large hole installed. Just inside the cavity is the iPolar body. The outside of the Dec axis has been machined, and it looks like something should cover the end of the cavity. It just seems a bit odd to me that the iPolar is effectively exposed to the elements, spiders etc. Anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

Hi there, have just bought the same mount, found the same opening and went looking for others with the same situation. Watched a youtube vid of a review on it and theirs was the same though they didn't mention what purpose leaving that wide open might be especially when it seems there are 4 screw holds to slap a plate on there.

any tips/tricks learning experiences you've had with the scope since your last post on this?
DTO - DimTerrestrialObject
Scopes: Celestron 130SLT, Stellarvue SV80A Super APO on iOptron CEM26
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

That's odd, my CEM70 has the i-polar and it has a screw in cap for that opening.

I will say that the i-polar accessory in my CEM70 never got me closer than 5° to the NCP. I had to use PHD2's drift alignment feature to nail my polar alignment.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

JayTee wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:23 pm I will say that the i-polar accessory in my CEM70 never got me closer than 5° to the NCP.
That's strange. There must be some sort of alignment adjustments that can be done on the iPolar scope then because I've always managed to get under 1' and usually around 30" with my CEM70 iPolar.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
pixelsaurus New Zealand
Moon Ambassador

Post by pixelsaurus »

DTO wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:25 am

Hi there, have just bought the same mount, found the same opening and went looking for others with the same situation. Watched a youtube vid of a review on it and theirs was the same though they didn't mention what purpose leaving that wide open might be especially when it seems there are 4 screw holds to slap a plate on there.

any tips/tricks learning experiences you've had with the scope since your last post on this?
Hi. I have little to report on this issue. I have sort of lost my mojo since my wife past away last year. I did buy some silicon sealant and was going glue a bit of plastic over the orifice. I have some flocking I was going to put on the inside. I may visit this again soon. I have procured a Rokinon 135mm f/2 and a full frame DSLR. I feel my mojo is returning, the Magellanic Clouds are well placed. :text-thankyouyellow:
Mike

Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, Tamron 90mm f/2.5 SP lens
NcStar 20x70 binoculars
iOptron CEM26 Goto EQ Mount, iOptron SkyGuider Pro
iOptron miniGuidescope + QHY5P Guide camera
Pentax K500, Pentax K70, Pentax K1, QHY183C
NexStar Evolution 8 HD Telescope with StarSense, Wedge for NexStar Evolution and SE 6/8
Umbrella, gumboots.