Stellarium and Remote Desktop on Windows 10

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Stellarium and Remote Desktop on Windows 10

Post by chris_g »

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted, been busy these last few months while I've been waiting for my scope to to arrive that ordered back in February. Everything is here except for the telescope itself. I got the guide equipment camera last week along with other electronics so U figured I would set everything up on the PC that will be running the imaging session. After several hours of trial and error I got everyti8ng actually talking to APT. The last piece is Stellarium. And I have come across the most bizarre of issues.

I'm using a mini PC for remote control with my laptop. Currently connected over ethernet but will go Wi Fi in the field. I run Stellarium and nothing seems to happen. I hook up monitor and login locally and Stellarium is there and works fine. I went back to remote desktop and still nothing. I opened APT and then switched apps using Alt Tab and seeing Stellarium in the list, I selected it and behold, there it is. However, it didn't appear to respond to the keyboard or mouse. I switched back to APT and then back to Stellarium and behold, there it was displaying data on what ever I had clicked on, wow! Obviously a display driver issue. If there are no other apps running besides Stellarium, using Alt Tab updates the screen and shows whatever I selected

Started this thread in the hopes that someone else had come across this problem and knows the answer so I don't have to fight with it. And if not, I will eventually figure out what is causing the problem and post it here.

Configuration,
mini PC, Intel HD Graphics, Driver version 20.19.15.4624, dated 3/8/2017, Windows 10 Pro Ver 2004
https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Desktop- ... 07CNBVN3L/

Troubleshooting,
Changed color depth from 32 to 16 in RDP, no fix. Turned off bit map cache in RDP, no fix. Next step, locate latest drivers for video, will let y'all know. Hopefully in the mean time some will let me know!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Stellarium and Remote Desktop on Windows 10

Post by Gordon »

I run a remote pc similar to yours. I use Stellarium also, however I've never had any issues.

You mention you are running the remote through a laptop. Are you using a mouse with the laptop or a 'touch pad'?

I use my desktop with a mouse with no issues. I also have a laptop with a touch pad that I use for testing (focus of guidescope and polar alignment) and If I remember correctly the touch pad is a problem with Stellarium.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I know you've probably already tried this but I remember in Stellarium you have to go into Configuration Window/Plugins/Telescope control and configure everything. Then, make sure you click the button that says "Load at Startup".
Then you'll need to completely close Stellarium and re-launch it for the Telescope Control feature to be activated.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Not sure if this would solve the problem - I use "StellariumScope" which links the scope with stellarium.

https://welshdragoncomputing.ca/x/index ... ariumscope
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

A couple of things to try. Stellarium has a mode these days called "Angle Mode". It looks like a separate executable in the windows menu for Stellarium. It needs simpler graphics drivers.
You could try that.
Also try Stellarium in the windowed mode, as opposed to full screen. There is a button for it in the bottom menu bar.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

ARock wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:53 pm A couple of things to try. Stellarium has a mode these days called "Angle Mode". It looks like a separate executable in the windows menu for Stellarium. It needs simpler graphics drivers.
You could try that.
Also try Stellarium in the windowed mode, as opposed to full screen. There is a button for it in the bottom menu bar.
Tried windowed mode didn't fix it. Angel Mode! Older Direct X drivers, works like a charm! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I can move on to Telescope control within Stellarium...
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Just a suggestion from left field, I use either Cartes du Ciel (CdC) or SkytechX (StX). Both are free and I feel both are more capable for controlling your telescope than Stellarium. Additionally, they do a lot more duties and functions than Stellarium especially in regards to imaging.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Curious that you finally got it working without the need for StellariumScope. I found that StellariumScope was needed to run Stellarium with my setup. I have tried CdC but still find Stellarium to be more useful and with the added horizons modification I have a view that maps my actual location almost exactly - so when I see the target entering the treeline, I know I am close to ending that target run.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

XCalRocketMan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:51 am Curious that you finally got it working without the need for StellariumScope. I found that StellariumScope was needed to run Stellarium with my setup. I have tried CdC but still find Stellarium to be more useful and with the added horizons modification I have a view that maps my actual location almost exactly - so when I see the target entering the treeline, I know I am close to ending that target run.
Newer versions of Stellarium have direct ASCOM support now.

https://stellarium.org/release/2019/12/ ... .19.3.html
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

ARock wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:49 am
XCalRocketMan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:51 am Curious that you finally got it working without the need for StellariumScope. I found that StellariumScope was needed to run Stellarium with my setup. I have tried CdC but still find Stellarium to be more useful and with the added horizons modification I have a view that maps my actual location almost exactly - so when I see the target entering the treeline, I know I am close to ending that target run.
Newer versions of Stellarium have direct ASCOM support now.

https://stellarium.org/release/2019/12/ ... .19.3.html
Yes, but I think the control keys for slew, etc., don't work. I may have to try again and see if this is just an issue with my setup in particular.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets