Quote of the day, mostly related to astronomy.

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: quote of the day, mostly related to astronomy.

Post by messier 111 »

The blockchain concept was pioneered within the context of crypto-currency Bitcoin, but engineers have imagined many other ways for distributed ledger technology to streamline the world. Stock exchanges and big banks, for example, are looking at blockchain-type systems as trading settlement platforms. Anthony Scaramucci
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Innovation in an existing company is not just the sum of great technology, key acquisitions, or smart people. Corporate innovation needs a culture that matches and supports it. Steve Blank

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

The main advantage of blockchain technology is supposed to be that it's more secure, but new technologies are generally hard for people to trust, and this paradox can't really be avoided. Vitalik Buterin

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

"If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul."

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."

–Aesop.

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

We no longer think of chairs as technology; we just think of them as chairs. But there was a time when we hadn't worked out how many legs chairs should have, how tall they should be, and they would often 'crash' when we tried to use them. Douglas Adams

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

We want to build technology that everybody loves using, and that affects everyone. We want to create beautiful, intuitive services and technologies that are so incredibly useful that people use them twice a day. Like they use a toothbrush. There aren't that many things people use twice a day. Larry Page

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Did you ever spell a word so bad that your spell check has absolutely no clue what you're trying to spell? What do you end up getting, you end up getting, like, a question mark. You got a million dollars of technology just looking back at you like, 'You got me, buddy. Which is pretty amazing because I have all the words.' Bill Burr

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Looking ahead, I believe that the underlying importance of higher education, of science, of technology, of research and scholarship to our quality of life, to the strength of our economy, to our security in many dimensions will continue to be the most important message. Charles Vest

― Isaac Asimov

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

messier 111 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:55 pm Did you ever spell a word so bad that your spell check has absolutely no clue what you're trying to spell? What do you end up getting, you end up getting, like, a question mark. You got a million dollars of technology just looking back at you like, 'You got me, buddy. Which is pretty amazing because I have all the words.' Bill Burr
He has a point. I'm constantly looking at search results, AI translations, and "suggested for you" and I think I could have left the cat on the keyboard while I went for more coffee and gotten that result.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

If I could time travel into the future, my first port of call would be the point where medical technology is at its best because, like most people on this planet, I have this aversion to dying. Neal Asher

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Good, bad or indifferent, if you are not investing in new technology, you are going to be left behind. Philip Green

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Technology has a great advantage in that we are capable of creating dinosaurs and show them on the screen even though they are extinct 65 million years. All of a sudden, we have a fantastic tool that is as good as dreams are. Werner Herzog

― Isaac Asimov

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

messier 111 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:46 pm If I could time travel into the future, my first port of call would be the point where medical technology is at its best because, like most people on this planet, I have this aversion to dying. Neal Asher
Death is natural and not an enemy and ultimately can’t be avoided. The fear of death is also natural but is something that we can make choices about.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

The main advantage of blockchain technology is supposed to be that it's more secure, but new technologies are generally hard for people to trust, and this paradox can't really be avoided. Vitalik Buterin

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Technology is, of course, a double edged sword. Fire can cook our food but also burn us. Jason Silva

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Technology is rooted in the past. It dominates the present and tends into the future. It is a real historical movement - one of the great movements which shape and represent their epoch. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Every aspect of human technology has a dark side, including the bow and arrow. Margaret Atwood

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

The world is getting more connected through technology and travel. Cuisines are evolving. Some people are scared of globalization, but I think people will always take pride in cultural heritage. John Mackey

― Isaac Asimov

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

If you wanna know how not secure you are, just take a look around. Nothing's secure. Nothing's safe. I don't hate technology, I don't hate hackers, because that's just what comes with it, without those hackers we wouldn't solve the problems we need to solve, especially security. Fred Durst

― Isaac Asimov