The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Pikaia Great Britain
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: The Great Photography Thread - REVIVED!

Post by Pikaia »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:15 pm I don't know the name for this tree in our garden but it produces these beautiful large flowers every spring.

20230501_104915.jpg
It is Brugmansia, or Angels' Trumpets.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Pikaia wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:55 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:15 pm I don't know the name for this tree in our garden but it produces these beautiful large flowers every spring.

20230501_104915.jpg
It is Brugmansia, or Angels' Trumpets.
Thanks!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Nakedgun »

~

One of our cats, Missy, sprawling on my wife's computer desk, so that she can command all the attention:

:

IMGP5825.JPG

:

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

This is a Calypso orchid, endemic to the Headwaters old growth redwood forest reserve at Newburg, CA.
Picture1.jpg
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That's beautiful, I have never seen an orchid in the wild.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

Ylem wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:05 pm ...I have never seen an orchid in the wild.
This beauty relies on soil fungus symbionts for nutrition, so it requires undisturbed forest habitat. And it doesn't produce nectar--once its bumble bee pollinators have sampled it, they scratch if off their lunch list. Seems odd to limit pollination, perhaps a trade-off with the metabolic effort to produce nectar?
SparWeb Canada
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

While in Seattle last month, I stopped in at the Boeing museum.

I find it hard to take my eyes off this one. This is the SR-71 Blackbird which was capable of Mach 3 (maybe more, they won't say).
_MG_1355_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

SparWeb wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:00 am While in Seattle last month, I stopped in at the Boeing museum.

I find it hard to take my eyes off this one. This is the SR-71 Blackbird which was capable of Mach 3 (maybe more, they won't say).

They were an amazing beast!

I remember talking to an air traffic controller when I was in the RAAF in the 70's. When he was stationed in Bahrain, an SR71 was scheduled to land there. The pilot radioed that he was ready to land, but the air traffic controller couldn't see him on the radar. When he asked the pilot where he was, he said "Whoops, sorry."- and the aircraft appeared almost in the centre of their screen...
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

On Sunday, Sophia and I made a trip to Bournemouth for a small errand.

We parked in the Pay-and-Display car park on Westover Road near to the beach.

On a building, which I believe is the Bournemouth Pavilion Theatre, at a distance of approximately 0.11 miles away, I noticed something on the top of the spire.

I guessed it was a bird of some description but it just appeared as a black dot to the naked eye.

I took out my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra mobile phone and zoomed in to maximum of 100x.

Sure enough, it was a bird. In fact the zooming in allowed me to id it as a Great Black-backed Gull.

The quality isn't brilliant as it was quite breezy and difficult to hold the phone steady at that high magnification. But at least it served its purpose to show it clear enough to make out what it was.

No photographer of the year award here I am afraid, but I thought you may appreciate how good our mobile phone cameras are now.

I don't normally take zoom shots with this high magnification, but I made an exception this time :roll:

great-blacked-back-gull-westover-rd-bournemouth-car-park.jpg
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Sophia and I had the afternoon off work today, so we went for a gentle walk through our village, leaving the car at home.

I took a few shots on my mobile phone so I could share the beauty of the area with you.

It was a lovely sunny and warm afternoon, which was just perfect.

forest-walk-Wed.17May23_01.jpg
forest-walk-Wed.17May23_02.jpg
forest-walk-Wed.17May23_03.jpg
forest-walk-Wed.17May23_04.jpg
forest-walk-Wed.17May23_05.jpg

Thank you for looking.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
JSBach1801 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

Post by JSBach1801 »

Butterfly Maiden wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:03 pm Sophia and I had the afternoon off work today, so we went for a gentle walk through our village, leaving the car at home.

I took a few shots on my mobile phone so I could share the beauty of the area with you.

It was a lovely sunny and warm afternoon, which was just perfect.
That looks lovely!
Lyle In Utah

Telescopes: William Optics Zenithstar 73 III APO, ZWO 30mm f/4 Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: Sony a7IV Mirrorless, ZWO ASI120MM-MINI
Mount: Sky Watcher EQM-35i
Control: ASIAIR Plus
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

The footpaths here are for pedestrians only. Horse riders are not allowed, although we can ride along the roads.

Ponies that are allowed to roam freely throughout the Forest are allowed to wander these footpaths. You can clearly see a couple of 'deposits' that they have made (see second photo).

This is the reason we have cattle grids at the entrance to our properties, just to keep the ponies out :roll:
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

The beauty of being self-employed is that you get to choose when you can have time off work :D

Today was no exception. Sophia and I rose early and got ready for a walk around Holmsley Inclosure. This was too far to walk from home so we took the car.

It was another warm and sunny start to the day. Perfect walking conditions.

At the start of our walk from the car park we encounter a few ponies grazing. We always like to include photos of them whenever we can.
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_08.JPG
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_09.JPG
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_10.JPG
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_11.JPG

All of the foliage is now in full bloom, especially the Gorse bushes. This is a favourite with the ponies. Their mouths and tongues have become specially adapted to cope with the thorny bushes without causing any injury or discomfort to them.
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_02.jpg
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_01.jpg

The paths are made up from gravel but can get a little mushy in places. A couple of times Sophia and I had to deviate slightly around the wetter areas.
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_03.jpg

The path eventually crosses over Avon Water. Just a mere trickle of a stream at this point, but affords a lovely shaded water source for the ponies. It looks pretty too.
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_04.jpg
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_05.jpg

As we arrive back at the car park I couldn't resist getting a couple of shots of this little beauty, grazing in front of our car.
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_06.jpg
Holmsley-walk-Thurs.18May23_07.jpg

I hope you enjoyed sharing our brief walk this morning. Normally we would be out longer and go deeper into the Inclosure, but we had to get back home for another appointment.

Thank you for looking.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Beautiful countryside Vanessa. I am glad you have it to enjoy.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

With a very wet winter behind us, we may be able to enjoy the mountains of northern California without a fiery Armageddon of a summer. We're hitting them hard: the south fork of the Trinity River today, and over the weekend I'll venture on an information-gathering expedition into the Trinity Mountains. Today's bounty: great views and dozens of wildflowers, including California Groundcone--a parasite of the roots of the Madrone trees in the area.
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Donne »

My telescope has gone to the birds. 🙂
Resized_52898617001_debdf96b4a_o.jpeg
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

SparWeb wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:00 am While in Seattle last month, I stopped in at the Boeing museum.

One of the most amazing aircraft ever built.
If you get a chance (if you haven’t already), watch a few YouTube videos on this plane. An outstanding piece of technology!
When I was a kid in the 60’s and early 70’s, we lived in Okinawa (military dependent) and my brother and I would watch them take off at the base.
Thanks for sharing
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Sophia and I made an early start at 7am this morning to go for a Forest walk.

We went to Vereley, Burley parking in Vereley Hill Forestry Commission car park.

This is an extensive area of heathland situated in a valley (Vales Moor), with many narrow gravel paths going over an undulating terrain.

Some of the dips downward into the valley are quite subtle, as are some of the climbs to the top.

If you want to get fitter and take a short cut, you have a choice of going up one of the steeper paths.

It has a wide variety of butterflies, being attracted by the glorious carpets of Heather and Gorse bushes.

Vereley-Hill_21May23_01.jpg
Vereley-Hill_21May23_02.jpg
Vereley-Hill_21May23_03.jpg
Vereley-Hill_21May23_04.jpg

Thank you for looking.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Sunset 5.27.2023 at the new dark site:
sunset med.jpg
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

This is another visit to Vereley in Burley, so I decided to show you a map of the area this time to give a better understanding of the terrain.

OS-map_Vereley-Burley.jpg

If you are into navigation / orienteering you will be familiar with the contour lines on the map and appreciate the height differences of this particular valley.

I personally prefer to navigate with a magnetic compass and paper map. Handheld sat-navs and smart phones with mapping software are fine, but if your battery dies or you don’t get a clear signal then you could be in trouble. I actually find it more fun to do it the non-electronic device way.

Sophia and I both know most of the National Park anyway, so we are not likely to get lost. However, if we decide to go to an area that is new to us, or least visited, then we have our map and compass with us.

One feature of note on the map is “Smuggler’s Road.”

If you wish to know more about the ‘New Forest Smugglers’ you can check out the following link - https://newforestguide.uk/history/new-forest-smugglers/

I have highlighted "Smuggler's Road" on the map in yellow.

The co-ordinates at the top of the map (N50˚ 50.630’ W1˚ 43.654’ (elev. 242 feet) is the location of the crosshair when I did the screenshot. The height above sea level at the top is 300 feet.

There are two car parks here, indicated by the ‘P’ symbols right of centre on the map. Vereley (on the right) has a mobile phone tower next to it and gives access to Vereley Wood. Vereley Hill (the left ‘P’ symbol) is literally on the opposite side of the road, so you can just walk across to get to it.

From an astronomy perspective, the Bortle 4 skies of the entire New Forest National Park make sky-watching a delight. Particularly this location, with uninterrupted panoramic views and open skies.
If you get the opportunity to visit the New Forest you won’t be disappointed.

I took a few more photos of the area on this visit, so I hope you enjoy them.

Photo 1 - the start of the path from the car park. You can follow it to the top of the valley, which is our intended route on this occasion. I mentioned in my posting yesterday when we visited that this route is more challenging. It is the quickest path to the top, but is also the steepest...
vereley-hill_23May23_01.jpg

Photo 2 - now the climb begins. The gulley to the right of the gravel path, with brown sediment, has been cut out by rain water running downhill...
vereley-hill_23May23_02.jpg

Photo 3 - just before we reach the top of the hill I turn around for a shot of the path from the car park. If you look closely you may just make out the mobile phone tower in Vereley car park (horizon, just right of centre)...
vereley-hill_23May23_03.jpg

Photos 4 & 5 - I have panned right to show to show the valley floor...
vereley-hill_23May23_04.jpg
vereley-hill_23May23_05.jpg

Photos 6 & 7 - we have reached the path at the top. This quite wide path is "Smuggler's Road."
Photo 6 is looking south towards Vales Moor, whilst Photo 7 is looking north towards Picket Plain.
vereley-hill_23May23_06.jpg
vereley-hill_23May23_07.jpg

Thank you for looking.
Vanessa

Leica 8x32BN binoculars.