Full Well, ADU, and Exposure Length

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Full Well, ADU, and Exposure Length

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:47 am

Like this?

This is a 60 second exposure at a gain of 104 and offset of 70. Median ADU is 544.

A 30 second image at the same settings has a median ADU of 470.

A 120 second image with the same settings has a median ADU of 696.

Not sure what all of this means, but with the near full moon, it is amazing that the ADU is so much lower tonight than a few nights ago when I used a gain of 300 and the IDAS LPS D-1 filter and a median ADU of 14000!

I am going to shoot some light frames at 60 seconds and stack them up tomorrow (only because I have the darks).

Very interesting! I will post back tomorrow.

Thanks all!
Looks pretty good for a 60 second capture under a full Moon, eh?

Compare that to your IDAS filter and you'll see a big difference.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 am

Yes it does!

I will use the IDAS filter for broadband targets, but the L-Enhance with the ASI 533 is a great combo for emission nebula.

This image is definitely nothing to write home about, but for only 22 minutes integration with no calibration frames, no sharpening or denoise with a 97% moon, to me it’s amazing.

A7E1895C-58F0-4558-988D-8FE74B584333.jpeg
It is almost as good as my 3 1/2 hours with the dslr and the IDAS filter a month or so ago. And, it was a slam, bam process.

Pretty cool stuff!

I see that you did 180 second subs for n your East Veil and I am still trying to understand exposure. Do you shoot for a specific ADU?

I will post later to this thread if I get time in case someone has time to look at the subs.

Thanks Steve!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
umasscrew39 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by umasscrew39 »

Jim- I saw your L-enhance 533 image on the other thread- excellent. Like I said, I got and used the 533 when it first came out and took a lot of images with it. A gain of 100 and offset of 50 with exposures between 90s -120s give amazing images with either the L-enhance for emission nebulae or the L-Pro for galaxies if you are in a LP area like me- Bortle 6 but you can try it with no filter or a UV/IR filter. What impressed me the most was that the read noise is so low that the images look great even before you calibrate with darks, flats, and dark flats. You will have a blast with this camera. It makes AP a lot of fun with minimal aggravation :-).

Another tool to help assess exposure is SharpCap. It has a Smart Histogram tool which determines the best exposure for your camera under your skies with your setup.

Bruce
Bruce

Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate........Sophocles, c. 420 BCE

StarzantiSkies Observatory
https://www.astrobin.com/users/umasscrew39/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

umasscrew39 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:08 pm Jim- I saw your L-enhance 533 image on the other thread- excellent. Like I said, I got and used the 533 when it first came out and took a lot of images with it. A gain of 100 and offset of 50 with exposures between 90s -120s give amazing images with either the L-enhance for emission nebulae or the L-Pro for galaxies if you are in a LP area like me- Bortle 6 but you can try it with no filter or a UV/IR filter. What impressed me the most was that the read noise is so low that the images look great even before you calibrate with darks, flats, and dark flats. You will have a blast with this camera. It makes AP a lot of fun with minimal aggravation :-).

Another tool to help assess exposure is SharpCap. It has a Smart Histogram tool which determines the best exposure for your camera under your skies with your setup.

Bruce

For 22 minutes!

Thanks Bruce!

I agree. This camera will be lots of fun.

I looked at Sharpcap last night outside and ran into an issue and moved on. I will do some reading and give it another shot.

I figure that I I was close with to good at 60 seconds last night under Bortle 7-8 skies with the big moon. I need to come up with a plan though.

Thanks for the help Bruce!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:51 pm
Mac wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 am

Yes it does!

I will use the IDAS filter for broadband targets, but the L-Enhance with the ASI 533 is a great combo for emission nebula.

This image is definitely nothing to write home about, but for only 22 minutes integration with no calibration frames, no sharpening or denoise with a 97% moon, to me it’s amazing.

It is almost as good as my 3 1/2 hours with the dslr and the IDAS filter a month or so ago. And, it was a slam, bam process.

Pretty cool stuff!

I see that you did 180 second subs for n your East Veil and I am still trying to understand exposure. Do you shoot for a specific ADU?

I will post later to this thread if I get time in case someone has time to look at the subs.

Thanks Steve!
Look at you, Jim. You're a natural! Nice job for a "quick test"

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Hi Jim - You have received a lot of help on this one.

One clarification for the Pixel Aid tool in APT. When you click on the Whole Image choice it considers whatever is inside the widow of the Pixel Aid tool to be "Whole Image". So it isn't really the full image that is being analyzed but only that portion of the image that falls within the Pixel Aid window. It took me a while to figure this out!!!

If I want to know what the average value of the whole image is I load the image into PixInsight and use the Statistics process to find the mean value. If you have the tool set to 16-bit then you will have to divide the mean value by 4 to get to your 14-bit ADU value (and then, of course, subtract your offset).

Good luck - Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:48 am
Look at you, Jim. You're a natural! Nice job for a "quick test"

Bob
No natural here! I am just chipping away at this!

These cameras are very different than dslr's in many ways, but it is a lot of fun learning

Thanks Bob!

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:47 am

Hi Jim - You have received a lot of help on this one.

One clarification for the Pixel Aid tool in APT. When you click on the Whole Image choice it considers whatever is inside the widow of the Pixel Aid tool to be "Whole Image". So it isn't really the full image that is being analyzed but only that portion of the image that falls within the Pixel Aid window. It took me a while to figure this out!!!

If I want to know what the average value of the whole image is I load the image into PixInsight and use the Statistics process to find the mean value. If you have the tool set to 16-bit then you will have to divide the mean value by 4 to get to your 14-bit ADU value (and then, of course, subtract your offset).

Good luck - Steve
I surely have received a lot of very valuable help.

Thanks for the tip about the Pixel Aid Tool. I don't have Pixinsight (yet), but I used the AP Lab to generate the median ADU values. If I get time later today, I would like to upload the three subs with different exposures just in case someone wants to take a look.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I am still trying to get my head around exposure time though and how to decide on a median image ADU value for a given target.

I do have Sharpcap and need to read up on the SmartHistogram to see how it works and how it may help.

I have a outdoor project going on right now (not anywhere near as much fun as astro!) that is keeping me pretty busy (and tired). Hopefully in a few days I can get out and work with the equipment again..

Thanks Steve!
Jim

Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

Juno16 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:51 pm

Thanks Steve!
Glad to see that combo is working for you Jim, I knew that it would.

I don't get so technical or pedantic about the exposure lengths. 300 seconds is a pretty standard exposure time for me now unless it's something like M31 or M42. I've even done 400 and 600 seconds on some targets.

I've been experimenting with shorter exposures without any filters and have tried various combinations with the L-Pro and L-enhance.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Great Thread Jim!

Just a quick one, when you use Smart cap, how do you cool the camera?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Mac wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:10 pm

Glad to see that combo is working for you Jim, I knew that it would.

I don't get so technical or pedantic about the exposure lengths. 300 seconds is a pretty standard exposure time for me now unless it's something like M31 or M42. I've even done 400 and 600 seconds on some targets.

I've been experimenting with shorter exposures without any filters and have tried various combinations with the L-Pro and L-enhance.

You are/were right! The camera and filter are very powerful tools for sure!

This is 60 one minute Cocoon image without calibration files that I shot after the short East Veil image. Definitely a much more challenging target than the much brighter Veil. Needs way more time and less than a 97% moon, but just another "test" image.

Nothing close to Kathy's [mention]KathyNS[/mention] fine Cocoon image or your really nice Cocoon, but just getting my feet wet.
Cocoon 60 min no calibration.jpg
This target probably would do much better with a longer exposure than 60 seconds (and lots of them).

Interesting about your exposure experience. Good to know. I am sure that the target and sky brightness (both lp and moon) can influence the exposure time somewhat.
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I am just going to post these links in case anyone wants to take a look

Two light frames from a few nights ago. Image stats are from AP Lab.

East Veil light frame. 60 second exposure at a gain of 104 and offset of 70. 97% moon.

E Veil Stat.JPG
Cocoon Nebula light frame. 60 second exposure at a gain of 104 and offset of 70. 97% moon.

Cocoon Stat.JPG
Thanks for all of the help!
Jim

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Hi Jim. The Google links are asking me to request access. Can you make them public so they will just sow up?

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:21 pm Great Thread Jim!

Regards

Graeme
Hi Graeme,

Sorry, I don't know, but I would expect since this is ascom, the camera could be connected in APT also and cooling could be done there?
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:16 pm Hi Jim. The Google links are asking me to request access. Can you make them public so they will just sow up?

Bob
Sorry Bob. In a rush to get back to the project outside. They should work now.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Jim

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:48 pm
Graeme1858 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:21 pm Great Thread Jim!

Regards

Graeme
Hi Graeme,

Sorry, I don't know, but I would expect since this is ascom, the camera could be connected in APT also and cooling could be done there?

Yes, I pondered the idea of cooling the camera with ASI Studio and Capturing images with Sharpcap.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:45 pm I am just going to post these links in case anyone wants to take a look

East Veil light frame. 60 second exposure at a gain of 104 and offset of 70. 97% moon.

Hi Jim - If my thinking is correct, and your mean e- value is for one channel (R or G or B), your Veil data shows [(615.4/4) - 70] = 84 e- as the mean value collected across the image. Because the dark current is so low it is not a factor. Thus you would be achieving

sqrt[84/(84 + 1.5 * 1.5)] = 0.987

which means you would be achieving 98.7% of the best Signal-to-Noise possible with your 60 sec exposures. Thus, from a S/N perspective 60 sec exposures are long enough. The other factor to consider is your dithering "dead time", i.e., the time from the end of one image till the start of the next image. My system vearie between 20 - 40 sec "dead time" which isn't too bad. With short image exposures like 60 sec, the dithering time starts to significantly reduce the amount of actual imaging time, so, longer exposures will lead to improved S/N in the stacked image. Of course, longer exposures will also cause more stars to be saturated. ALWAYS A TRADEOFF!!

I'm still unclear if the mean value of 615.4 e- is for one color channel or the sum of all of them or an average of the three. Can you help me with this.

If you are interested I would be glad to model your sensor to show the S/N performance (higher S/N means a better image) as a function of the Exposure Time and the Dither "dead time". Just FYI.

Cheers - Steve
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

STEVE333 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:56 pm
Juno16 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:45 pm I am just going to post these links in case anyone wants to take a look

Hi Jim - If my thinking is correct, and your mean e- value is for one channel (R or G or B), your Veil data shows [(615.4/4) - 70] = 84 e- as the mean value collected across the image. Because the dark current is so low it is not a factor. Thus you would be achieving

sqrt[84/(84 + 1.5 * 1.5)] = 0.987

which means you would be achieving 98.7% of the best Signal-to-Noise possible with your 60 sec exposures. Thus, from a S/N perspective 60 sec exposures are long enough. The other factor to consider is your dithering "dead time", i.e., the time from the end of one image till the start of the next image. My system vearie between 20 - 40 sec "dead time" which isn't too bad. With short image exposures like 60 sec, the dithering time starts to significantly reduce the amount of actual imaging time, so, longer exposures will lead to improved S/N in the stacked image. Of course, longer exposures will also cause more stars to be saturated. ALWAYS A TRADEOFF!!

I'm still unclear if the mean value of 615.4 e- is for one color channel or the sum of all of them or an average of the three. Can you help me with this.

If you are interested I would be glad to model your sensor to show the S/N performance (higher S/N means a better image) as a function of the Exposure Time and the Dither "dead time". Just FYI.

Cheers - Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes, in AP Lab, it defaults to the Green channel (default).

GREEN CHANNEL.JPG

I get the values that I posted.

Green stats.JPG

If I select the Red channel, I get different values.

RED CHANNEL.JPG

Using the Pixel Aid in APT set to Whole Image, I get different values (maybe average of RGB?).

pixel aid.JPG
pixel aid.JPG (24.41 KiB) Viewed 3649 times

When I shot the image, I was exposing for 60 seconds and dithering every 3rd image. Dithering "dead time" is about one minute.

Definitely I am interested in modeling the sensor if you have the time. NOTE: I was using the L Enhance filter if that makes any difference.

Thanks Steve!
Jim

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hey Steve [mention]STEVE333[/mention] ,

In post 31 above, there are download links to the light frames if you have a better way to extract the image statistics.
Jim

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Jim,

I just downloaded one of your light frames from above and decided to use Avis FV 2.0 (freeware) to view it. This is the first time I've used this .fits viewer. It seems that where ever you place your mouse the program gives you an ADU reading. Just another piece of software that might help.
http://www.msbsoftware.it/avis/

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

JayTee wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:33 am Hi Jim,

I just downloaded one of your light frames from above and decided to use Avis FV 2.0 (freeware) to view it. This is the first time I've used this .fits viewer. It seems that where ever you place your mouse the program gives you an ADU reading. Just another piece of software that might help.
http://www.msbsoftware.it/avis/

Cheers,
JT

Cool! Thanks JT!

I n ed to look at ASI Studio too
Jim