What are you currently reading?

Discuss non-Astronomy related subjects. NOTE: posts are removed automatically after 365 days.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Star Dad »

I usually get about 30 pages read per day - of course depending on font and page size. I've been reading "The Fiery Cross" in the Outlander Series. I've only got 60 pages to go of a book of 1443 pages. A whopper of a book and it's almost non-stop action everything from despicable pirates, quelling an insurrection in the American colonies (ca 1770), snake bites, and community. Diana Gabaldon sure writes a good tale. I've been on this one book for over 2 months now. The series is really good - the tv show tends to alter the story for no real apparent reason, and, of course, skips a great deal of the content of the books.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Just got another of the Commisario Brunetti murder mysteries yesterday via Amazon. I'm hooked.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Shorty Barlow wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:27 pm Image
Helpful?
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

GCoyote wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:55 pm
Shorty Barlow wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:27 pm Image
Helpful?
Hopefully. I'll probably do a write-up in a few weeks.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Looks interesting!
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:47 pm Looks interesting!

I haven't fully assessed it yet.
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

The Klamath Mountains: A Natural History is a compendium with 2 primary and 34 contributing authors. It's dense with facts yet fascinating to read. Just 32 pages in is a plot of fire management that is especially interesting in the midst of the 2022 chapter of the American West's annual fire season.

https://backcountrypress.com/book/the-k ... l-history/
Picture1.jpg
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

Reading through copies of "The Gentleman's Magazine" from the mid 1700s. I'm looking up articles on the Venus transit of 1769. I like reading contemporary accounts of historic astronomical events, even if there are a lot of long s's and the wording can appear a little odd at time.
I used to read quite a bit more but my close vision is suffering so I guess a trip to the optomotrist in in order. Maybe I can rock a pair of pince-nez specs :P
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Shorty Barlow
Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

This is the only contemporary novel I've read more than seven times. It has one of the best ending reveals I've ever known. I originally read it only a couple of years after it was first published. As all of my hard copies have been lent out over the years, and consequently now disappeared, I downloaded it to Kindle.
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

The news, and I probably need to stop because all it does is get me wound up.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Don Alvarez wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:53 pm The news, and I probably need to stop because all it does is get me wound up.
I've limited myself to 5 to 15 minutes of news per day. NO cable news at all. This since summer of 2016 and I'm a happier camper.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Don Alvarez wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:53 pm The news, and I probably need to stop because all it does is get me wound up.
I've weened myself off local news (Murder, mayhem, and corruption. Hey, this is Sheh-cahhhh-gahhhh ) and I watch very little network. However, I do use Smart News on my phone, which is at least somewhat configurable as is newsnow.com on the web. At least with those I can actively chose what I want to read as opposed to being barraged by talking heads.
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:58 pm
I've weened myself off local news (Murder, mayhem, and corruption. Hey, this is Sheh-cahhhh-gahhhh ) and I watch very little network. However, I do use Smart News on my phone, which is at least somewhat configurable as is newsnow.com on the web. At least with those I can actively chose what I want to read as opposed to being barraged by talking heads.
Agreed. A controllable news feed like that is about the only way get relevant news without the wasted time of generic broadcast or cable operations.
Listening to a recitation of random crimes, fires, or accidents does not make one well informed.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

I have been resting in my big leather recliner today. The bay windows are wide open this morning and the sounds of the forest are delightful. I think I have heard a dozen different bird calls. When the breeze freshens the sound in the trees is hypnotic. This afternoon and listened to my classical music and read a few chapters from Dumas, "The Three Musketeers".
Peace to you all.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

John Donne wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:02 am I have been resting in my big leather recliner today. The bay windows are wide open this morning and the sounds of the forest are delightful. I think I have heard a dozen different bird calls. When the breeze freshens the sound in the trees is hypnotic. This afternoon and listened to my classical music and read a few chapters from Dumas, "The Three Musketeers".
Peace to you all.
That combo: nature sounds, classical music and a book would put me to sleep in no time. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

John Donne wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:02 am The bay windows are wide open this morning and the sounds of the forest are delightful. I think I have heard a dozen different bird calls. When the breeze freshens the sound in the trees is hypnotic.
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Aside from darker skies, there's much to be said for being in the woods.

I'm lucky in that, although I live a large suburb, I'm next to a pond that's fed by a creek and attracts a good deal of wildlife - songbirds, geese, ducks, frogs, toads, crickets, racoons, coyotes, squirrels, chipmunks, a weasel (I think), etc. and fish in the pond. I thought perhaps Sasquatch too, but that's just an unkempt neighbor. :grin:

I'm also on a deadend street so there's virtually no traffic. Nothing like cranking open the windows and letting the breeze blow through while listenting to the crickets at night.
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

pakarinen wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:54 pm ...
Aside from darker skies, there's much to be said for being in the woods.

I'm lucky in that, although I live a large suburb, I'm next to a pond that's fed by a creek and attracts a good deal of wildlife - songbirds, geese, ducks, frogs, toads, crickets, racoons, coyotes, squirrels, chipmunks, a weasel (I think), etc. and fish in the pond. I thought perhaps Sasquatch too, but that's just an unkempt neighbor. :grin:

I'm also on a deadend street so there's virtually no traffic. Nothing like cranking open the windows and letting the breeze blow through while listenting to the crickets at night.
Little known fact, you can't take a clear picture of Sasquatch using an iPhone because he and Bill Gates had an "understanding."
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:03 am
John Donne wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:02 am I have been resting in my big leather recliner today. The bay windows are wide open this morning and the sounds of the forest are delightful. I think I have heard a dozen different bird calls. When the breeze freshens the sound in the trees is hypnotic. This afternoon and listened to my classical music and read a few chapters from Dumas, "The Three Musketeers".
Peace to you all.
That combo: nature sounds, classical music and a book would put me to sleep in no time. :lol:
👍👍👍 precisely, Andrey.

It is the reading that puts the nail in the eyelids...🙂
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Nakedgun United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Nakedgun »

Just completed: "The Price Of Principle, Why Integrity Is Worth The Consequences" by Alan Dershowitz, 2022, 159 pages.

His 50th book, and the first of his I've read, he explores his stance on a variety of issues and how his life has been affected by those positions.

"A republic, madam, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin