Barlowed laser collimation by Nils Olof Carlin?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
SkyHiker United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Barlowed laser collimation by Nils Olof Carlin?

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:55 pm Hmm... In the Don Pensack's article it says:
1. Collimation cap (A simple peep-hole, though not good enough for scopes below f/10. I don’t recommend these except, perhaps, as a quick check to see if the optical elements are at least in gross alignment at the start).

2. Laser collimator (not useful unless perfectly collimated itself, possessed of a small beam diameter, and not accurate enough for primary mirror collimation unless used with a Barlow lens, but quite useful in the dark. Mfrs.: Glatter, FarPoint, etc.
The main take-away from DP's article are the geometry for the offset and non-offset case, and the general picture of what a collimated system looks like through the focuser. There are a gazillion confused users who expect the vanes to line up with the peep hole of a collimated scope, it does not. If you want to use measurements you have to program the geometry and measurements in the computer accounting for all offsets, etcetera. This is not easy and is best avoided since it is also not necessary.

I never read the Catseye stuff, see Nils Olof's FAQ for a reality check on what he thinks about Catseye.

About the preference of laser vs collimation cap vs Barlowed laser, this seems to vary from author to author so I would not take that too seriously unless it is backed up with thorough evidence. Also keep in mind that it's an article that promotes a different method.

I collimated my Mak-Newt last night with the Howie Glatter and tublug. The tublug has a lens that acts like a Barlow. The shadow of the donut shows up nicely, it works really well. At first I thought I overpaid for it but now I'm glad I have it. A big part of it is also a quality fit so the laser is not flopping around in the focuser. It's a joy to use.

I also have a Z12 laser collimator that I used until the battery ran out. It worked OK until then but the laser dot really started drooping when the battery ran out. Then I have a dirt cheap Seben LK1, it needed collimation and tape to get it set firmly in the focuser. But it can be made to work fine. I also have a brand-less and hair-less Cheshire that is useful if the laser misses the secondary.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Barlowed laser collimation by Nils Olof Carlin?

Post by turboscrew »

I think Chesire is quite commonly mentioned as a good way. And collimation caps seem to have their own uses.
Also tublug is rumored to be quite good.

BTW, I figured out the offset. Draw some simple picture and started calculating - basic trigonometry, really. I got the same result: offset = secondary mirror minor axle / 4F. Took some time to figure out where to start, though.
It became clear in the beginning that the horisontal offset must be equal to the vertical offset - it's just sliding the mirror backwards in 45 degree angle.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.