July Challenges

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.
kt4hx
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

July Challenges

Post by kt4hx »

Here are the quick notes from one of my many observations of M29 over the years:

My first object was the loose open cluster M29, just a short 1.75 degree hop south-southeast from 2nd magnitude Gamma Cygni. It was visible in the 8x50 finder, and while observing at 52x, the main thing I noted about this cluster was the four stars forming a square at its center. Overall I found about 8 prominent stars with many dimmer ones in the field with the so-called "cooling tower" appearance easily seen.

And my notes for NGC 6541 in Corona Australis using my ED80 during one of my trips just south of the equator three years ago:

At 26x it was a smallish round fuzzy ball of light. It was bright and hinted at how spectacular it looks with more aperture. I went ahead up to 54x and it was fantastic. It displayed a large and strongly condensed core region inside of a small and dim outer halo. Bumping up to 71x it was a delight as its outer halo became more extended as dimmer portions were popping into view. The core was quite bright and large. Overall it took on a slight granular texture hinting at some resolution just out of grasp. It is unfortunate that this cluster doesn’t gain much elevation at home, because it would be wonderful to point the 10 or 12 inch in its direction.
Alan

Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob
ES AR127 f/6.5 & ED80 f/6 on Twilight-II || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian on Twilight-I
ES 82° 24mm, 18mm; TV Ethos 100° 13mm; Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm, 5mm + barlows
DGM NPB Filter || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow Filters || Baader HaB Filter
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me...." (Blaise Pascal)
KingNothing13
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: July Challenges

Post by KingNothing13 »

I've observed M29 just once - but my notes are similar:

Definite box appearance. 8 stars making up the box, lid is "open" , spilling out. Higher power reveals more stars. Only really counted the 8 box stars.

It's not really much to look at :lol:

EDIT: I may have an opportunity to observe tonight - really depends on how tired I am at the end of the day :lol: maybe I'll add this to my list to check out again.
-- Brett

Scopes:
Primary: Apertura AD10 with ES 82* 18mm (69x), 11mm (114x), & 6.7mm (187x)
G-n-G: Orion GoScope II 70mm "Travel Scope" with Orion 25mm Kellner (16x), Orion 10mm Kellner (40x)
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 64; Herschel 400: 18; Caldwell: 2

BABOafrica
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: July Challenges

Post by BABOafrica »

Very nice description, Allan.

I enjoyed it.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Celestron SCT C8 / Meade 102mm APO / Williams Optics 66mm APO / JUNKYARD 8.5" RC

Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX

Cameras: Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider

Return to “Submissions”